Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you emigrate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’d probably need to be a psychologist to come to that assertion. Stunt growth as a person ? Bit of a dramatic statement… especially considering the amount of people miserable with big bills, sizable mortgages or rent, unhappy in pressure filled relationships barely making ends meet 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's completely inaccurate. Unless you're looking at an eight figure legacy the amount less the lifetime parent to child allowance is not "pretty much everything"

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That's just my opinion, one of mine lived in dreadful student accommodation and having to negotiate a budget and living with other people is good for growth and development, seeing new things, experiencing new things, meeting new people also when does it stop will the person still be at home aged 40?

What about issues like having an intimate relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You need to factor in assets as well as cash…. So say a house, investments, car, cash, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No, property prices are lower in our urban centres away from the cities as well. No need to go up any mountain. We have a much higher population density than Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA for example.

The OP only wants to emigrate to an English speaking country, but not the UK, so that limits their choices. They will find that the property prices in other countries depends on location, just like in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

While it is definitely possible to have a working holiday in many EEA countries with just English, but it would be very difficult to truly build a life for yourself without learning the local language. And in many cases the local language is not the same as the official language. For instance all Germans learn what we call Written or High German in school and depending how far they went in school they might not be very good at it. So when you arrive in say the Black Forest or the Valais after your Goethe courses, for them it just means your a foreigner that is a bit easier to understand. They certainly won’t be terribly excited about spending an evening with you, playing cards and chatting about local news in anything but the local dialect.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

I said some cities over others.

Clearly if you go to the depths of black forest you're not going to have a good time. I also assume OP is not looking for gambling and intellectual discussions in local villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I hope it works out for the OP I have reread their post and I can't figure out how they can be working and living in their parent's house and have absolutely no savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

@Airyfairy12 I understand i need to get a visa and some mode of transport to get to another country but generally, what kind of savings are you required to have? Is 5k enough? Can you apply for jobs without having a visa in place? ... How do you find accomodation without living somewhere or do you just live out of hostels until you find a permanent place? It seems a bit confusing.

Pick an EU country and you don't need to worry about visas or savings or what order to do things. Just get on a boat or a plane and go wherever you think you might find inspiration. With summer coming up, there'll be hundreds of opportunities to volunteer at various events and non-profit associations, most of which will offer you bed and board. As long as you're not too pretentious about what work you will (or won't) do, you won't be short of things to fill your time, and whatever limited vocab you might already have, it'll be greatly expanded by the time you're finished. You'll also meet a whole range of different people, one of whom may be exactly the right one to guide you into a more long-term, salaried position. At the very least, spending a few months doing that will help you decide how best to invest your time and energy over the following months or years.

If you decide to give France a go, drop me a PM - I came here in my mid-thirties and have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cash is an asset. It's all taxable, whether given before death or after.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Netherlands afaik has the highest level of english as a foreign language and a lot of multinationals in the Nordics use english as the working language.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yes they're lover, not they're not significantly lower.

Yes property prices vary in other countries, but in those countries there's actual variance. Renting in Dublin is pretty close to renting in Galway or Cork. You could move to a smaller town but then you are left in a new town, with a tiny population and potential huge commute.

I moved country because of Irelands property prices and rents. And for some reason people think the solution to my problems was to move to a small town in Roscommon. And apparently not wanting to move to a tiny town where I'd know no-one and have very little social life makes me fussy. Not to mention that prices in those places are still high, just not as eye gouging as Dublin.

Whenever I mention that I'm in Germany in these discussions people always want to point out that Berlin is having property problems. Yes it is, but nothing compared to Ireland. I have coworkers in Berlin and I show them Daft and they're shocked and disgusted at Irish property.

For some reason there's a certain type of Irish person who seems to want to downplay how bad it is in Ireland.

Germany is not an option for the OP. Remember what they said.

"I want to emigrate this year but havnt a notion about how to do it, where to start or any idea of where would be the best place to move too. Im mid 30's, I have an undergrad, a hdip and a masters, ive 10 years professional working experience in various different areas, no savings and dont speak any languages besides English. I want to move to an English speaking country but not anywhere in the UK. Any suggestions or advice?"

Many people from Dublin have chosen to "solve their problems" by moving within Ireland. No need to go to a foreign country, if the only consideration is the price of accommodation in Dublin. And no need for a commute, if they plan things right.

You seem to be keeping a sharp eye on property prices in Ireland. But this list shows the actual prices, in case you are making misguided assumptions. 74 sales in Roscommon this year so far, with a good range of prices.

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Property and rental prices are high in many major English speaking cities outside Europe. You also need savings to get a visa as you don’t qualify for any supports.

Are you prepared for living alone? How old are your parents? What if they or you get sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t think OP mentioned house prices - I’d say renting is more the issue. But it seems they must be unemployed - so if they can’t or won’t get a job in Ireland I don’t see a lot of hope for success elsewhere. It depends on how willing they are to take what’s going, leaving behind notions that degrees alone entitle one to jobs of their choosing.

They are employed, and did say in post #22 that they have no chance of being able to buy a house. I asked in post #27 what did they do with their money to have no savings, but they didn't answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Strongly depends on your market I guess. The friend (boardsie) I know living over there has no german and has no issues. So I reckon its not that I am wrong or you are wrong - but that individual experience can very wildly. So the OP can evaluate their own situation(s) in that light I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

There are companys all over Europe who employ English speaking workers .no point in going to Australia as house prices there are higher than Ireland .you could go to America but you'd need a visa to work there .we are lucky the economy is booming but the downside is high house prices

When it comes to the "language question" individual experience certainly does vary. SonNo.1 has recently emigrated from France to Belgium. He speaks French and English daily at work, also can speak German if/when needed, and has a smattering of niche-application Irish from his student days in Dublin ... but none of that is of any use at the local town council, because he's living in a DUP-style Flemish townland, where they will only deal with administrative matters in Flemish/Dutch.

On the other hand, a few years ago I had an Irish girl with literally only three words of French join my festival team as a volunteer in a public-facing role. The combination of her enthusiasm, some intensive preparation the night before she started, and total immersion once the festival got underway meant that she was well able to carry out her mission (and even engage in small talk) by the time we shut up shop five days later.

Both of these examples highlight an important aspect of the emigration process: if you start by setting a load of conditions (same job, nice house, English speaking, good social life, easy routes home ...) then you risk ending up in exactly the same situation as you've left. The fewer restrictions you put on your expectations, the more successful you're likely to be. The old dictum is still valid: if you want it to work, you should be running towards something, not running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...tis kinna nice waking each day with the sun though!

• Advertisement

Well our temps can be between 30C - 38C in summer and the sun can shine for weeks.... and in the winter it can be -25C with a meter of snow. That is what I like - real seasons.

...some like it very warm ,all the time though, but i will admit, aussie summer can be hell.....

It does not matter which cities. You can survive is some cities without the language, but without proper integration you can't build a life for yourself and at this stage that is where the OP should be - establishing himself in his career and home life.

I have worked for several companies where English is the official language and of course you can function to a certain extend without knowing the local language, but the problem is you'll be excluded from the grape vine, the office politics and the chit chat and that will limit you more than you might imagine.

Likewise things like healthcare, the garage, the tradesman and so on may not speak English or in the case of healthcare for example be unwilling to treat you in English because of insurance and legal reasons and so.

That is what the summer house in the Alps is for...

...only that kind of lifestyle is only truly available to small sections of society, and thats generally not the type of folks that are considering emigration....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

Head up to Mount St. and find someone with camping gear, they'll give you a number for an International relocation consultant. *fees may apply

you can function to a certain extend without knowing the local language, but the problem is you'll be excluded from the grape vine, the office politics and the chit chat and that will limit you more than you might imagine.

I would argue that this is particularly a major hurdle for people who emigrate primarily for work (salary/financial) reasons, especially in the less urbanised areas of continental Europe. In my experience, not speaking the local language/dialect is a handicap but not an obstacle if you've otherwise shown that you're truly committed to your status as a new migrant arrival. If the natives believe that you're doing your best, they'll help you out, either by voluntarily switching to an alternative common language that you didn't know they could speak, or by helping interpret the weird local dialect you don't understand.

Most of the "ex pats" I've known who've found themselves excluded from the grapevine have brought it upon themselves by not making enough of an effort to include themselves in the lives and lifestyle of the people around them. The Brits in France were renowned for opting for a night at home in front of their UK-based Skybox, chatting to their family "back home", eating croissants ordered from Tesco and alternately moaning or sniggering at the unusual practices of their French neighbours. On the contrary, those who've wholeheartedly embraced the "foreign" lifestyle can be practically indistinguishable from the natives. I've regularly spent an evening, a weekend or a few months chatting to someone before learning that they're as much an immigrant as me.

In the same vein, when leaving a small island like Ireland, it's easy to forget that other countries can be very big, very diverse. For all that I'm completely happy with where I live in France (not an accident), and other parts where I really enjoy working, there are also parts of the country that I dislike or downright despise. There is no money in the world that'd persuade me to work (never mind live) in Ile-de-France, for example. This is why I advise anyone thinking of moving to another country to do so on a "no-committments" basis first, and to take advantage of the various volunteering programmes to sample different regions before making a firm decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

You have a masters degree and a hdip it's not clear what work you can do , I think houses are very expensive in Canada unless you are in a rural area it would be easier to give advice if you said you are a teacher , or programmer .if you want advice you need to post more info re the work you did for 10 years .you could borrow money to build a small extension to give you a full size bedroom .join a credit union . A small extension may not require planning permission if it's less than a certain size in floor area

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I mentioned my experience further up the thread. I figured it would help, even if if's not directly relatable. How I managed to get a job in an English speaking firm, in another country. If you want to complain and be a back seat mod, go ahead. I don't care.

As for property in Ireland. Take a look at towns like mullingar, Tullamore etc. They're at the outer reaches of what would still be a bad commute to Dublin. See how many properties there are to rent. Go ahead, I'll wait. And when you're finished with that check out further afield like Mayo.

Why does it have to be within commutable distance of Dublin? because that's where the majority of professional jobs are. If you want to work for a big company, you have to be nearby. And lots of those big companies either require attendance daily or few days a week.

But let's assume that they are able to work from home and not have to go to the office. They will still have to find somewhere affordable to rent. The average wage in Ireland is 45k (according to a quick google). That works out at about 3k a month after tax. Let's say that they are willing to spend 50% of that on rent. Then there's ~350 places cheaper than 1500 to rent in the entire country. https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/ireland?rentalPrice_to=1500&numBaths_from=1&numBeds_from=1&sort=priceAsc&pageSize=20&rentalPrice_from=500

That includes student accommodation and places that are renting a room but are listing under apt/house to rent.

And most of the actual apts/houses are in the back end of nowhere.

So the solution you have is to move to another part of the country, where they know no-one and rent a pokey place for 50% of their wages (That's assuming that they can actually find a place because the better the location, the more people will be applying). Plus they'll be living somewhere with feck all people and will have to build a social life from scratch. And out of the remaining 50% of their wages will have to pay heating, electricity and probably the cost of running a car. And all of this is assuming they are able to work from home. If they're not then their tied to being within commuting distance of work.

Or they could just move to another country where they will still have to build a new group of friends, but they'll at least be living in a large city and will have a decent apartment and will be spending less.

• Advertisement

I think the OP has already found a solution. Talk to their friends who managed to get this accommodation:

"Ive two friends who are on social welfare living in new build 3 - 5 bed & two bathroom houses. I live in a box room of my parents house with all my belonging, theres hardly enough space for the bed and wardrobe."

The friends should be able to explain how this is done, and they didn't need to emigrate.

Advertisement