Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you emigrate

Options
  • 23-02-2024 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

I want to emigrate this year but havnt a notion about how to do it, where to start or any idea of where would be the best place to move too. Im mid 30's, I have an undergrad, a hdip and a masters, ive 10 years professional working experience in various different areas, no savings and dont speak any languages besides English. I want to move to an English speaking country but not anywhere in the UK. Any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Decide where you want to go.

Then find out the visa requirements for that country.

Then apply for that visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are two main options commonly used

1) airplane

2) Boat

with the former being more utilised in the modern era. One would generally need to choose a mode of transport and then purchase a ticket for said mode of transport. It is usually more economical to do it this way than by either buying your own plane or boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NZ and Australia would be a couple of candidates to look at, as well as Canada. One of the best approaches is to apply for a job in your target country and then move if you win a position, as employers often have some influence in assisting with visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Flush your passport down the jacks and tell the fellow in the passport control booth some lad on boards.ie said something disparaging about ya!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Three obvious places for you

Australia

New Zealand

Canada.

Find out the various visa requirements for each and start applying to the one you think you would like best.

For educated, experienced English speaking people they are easy to get visas for.

If you want something closer or a bit less Anglo centric try Germany or The Netherlands or the Nordics, you could start off with just English and then make a good effort to learn the language quickly. Plus you don't need a visa.

• Advertisement

I think the three you listed would require savings as evidence you won’t be a burden to the state or be homeless etc.

best bet is prob Europe somewhere tbh a friend of mine got a job with some German crowd in i think data processing and they paid for him to move and sorted him an apartment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Get on a bus to Leitrim.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you thought about the French Foreign Legion , they tend to travel around a bit or as the other lad said , Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i honestly cant understand why the OP didnt just do what you suggested rather than asking the question on here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well you need to start saving because moving to another country is going to cost money - travel, deposits, furniture and the time spent job searching all require cash.

You also need to figure out what skills you have that might be in demand else where, if your qualifications are recognized, what the visa and resident requirements are and so on. The UK plus the EEA are the only places you have a legal right to move to. Everywhere else you need to check what the rules for permanent residency are not just the temp visas of which there are many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Look at Scandinavia or the Netherlands I'd say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pretty much this…. It’s easy get temp and limited visas of various types, but when you are a bit older and don’t have high in demand skills it can be difficult as they are more concerned that you might become a burden on the state and will look a lot closer at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

English speaking but not the UK - I think that leaves you with Malta. Unless you're under 35 and can get a working holiday via in Oz/NZ.

(I'm assuming that if you have skills which would let you get a working visa somewhere, you'd already know about the options for it. )

Effectively I emigrated in my late 30's (though I didn't plan to at the time). I don't recommend it. In the next 10 years, you should be at your career peak. Changing countries takes you back to having few contacts and having to take worse jobs than you are skilled for. It also messes up you pension and welfare contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

As Ireland is an island, I made the assumption it is Ireland you want to leave, well it’s plane ✈️ or boat ⛴️

standard practise it to book either via the web, this can be found easily via a google search and the options for both boat 🛥️ and airplane ✈️ are multiple so I won’t list out.

in terms of countries you could then google “countries that speak English”

Or tell you what, just book a week in Lanzarote to turn that frown upside down 🙃 I have come to the assumption of you don’t even know countries that speak English then no chance you will be going anywhere far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭pgj2015

get one of these first and don't buy any magic beans off anyone.

how do you emigrate? an undergrad, a hdip and a masters clearly doesn't teach you much these days. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/details-photo/traveling-stick-bundle-red-0a-0a-0astock-cloth-belongings-bound-habseeligkeiten-possessions-symbol-concept-freedom-travel-desire-departure-emigrating/MB-03766312

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Some people are just fuckin clueless, and need their hand held for every decision in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

They're looking to be pandered to. It's probably why they're leaving too. They've worn out their pander limit here so need to go abroad to replenish their pander supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I liked to know why they want to emigrate? Career, housing?

Do they mean emigrate or do the just want to go away for a year or two.

Do they not know anyone who has gone to Canada, Australia or New Zealand, friend, wider family someone they went to college with.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

No need to apply for visas. Destroy your passport mid flight and claim asylum on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks everyone, i know some said I shouldnt but tbh im mid 30's earn crap wages despite working so hard and having experience and qualifications coming out my ears, yet I still ilve with my parents and have no hope of ever buying a house, I gave it a really good go but there's no future here for me. Ive two friends who are on social welfare living in new build 3 - 5 bed & two bathroom houses. I live in a box room of my parents house with all my belonging, theres hardly enough space for the bed and wardrobe. I will be living like this into my 40's and beyond if I dont do something. Ireland doesnt want me, my qualifications or my work ethic so ill go somewhere that does.

I understand i need to get a visa and some mode of transport to get to another country but generally, what kind of savings are you required to have? Is 5k enough? Can you apply for jobs without having a visa in place? I know some one said that having an employer in another country will help to get a visa, do that commonly happen? Ive heard of people going to Australia for example to work as a teacher, while waiting for their aus equivalent of a teachers registration before they could apply for teaching jobs, they really struggled to get other work in cafes etc to keep themselves afloat.. it just made it sound like it was very easy to get a visa, on the other hand I know one or two people who couldnt get a visa at all..

How do you find accomodation without living somewhere or do you just live out of hostels until you find a permanent place? It seems a bit confusing.

I know lots of Irish go to Australia or NZ but tbh, im not sure I could stick the muggy heat! I love somewhere like san francisco or new york but im likely well priced out of America. Someone mentioned Malta which I hadnt thought about so will look into that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

• Registered Users Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The heat in Australia is mostly dry, not muggy. Australia includes Tasmania which has another climate altogether.

Employer sponsored visas: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/learn-about-sponsoring/visa-options

I gave you a hint and it shouldn't have taken you more than 15 seconds to find that info off your own bat.

Unfortunately your timing is a bit off as employment has gotten soft in Australia and many other places. The games industry is in complete free fall, for instance, an industry that had a higher level of sales than the movie industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭combat14

does every country give free houses to economic migrants like we do here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’d say if you struggle finding a job in Ireland, you might struggle elsewhere too as it’s still a job seekers market here. However, the depends on what skills you have. Skills most in demand are IT/date, engineering, life sciences etc.

There are plenty of admin jobs going that you won’t need too much to get - work hard and you can advance. I’m not sure what your experience was in before the hdip, but if you want a change from that start at the bottom might be the way, though it won’t be completely entry level. European Union have lots of jobs across Europe and hire people from all over.

Or just google jobs in Europe for a flavour of what’s available generally :

I thought teachers were in demand in Ireland? I know the pay is crap, but you don’t have to live in Dublin or any city so it balances out as rent is cheap in places like Roscommon etc. And you can work in a cafe/pub during the summer months to earn more.

I wouldn’t say the US is an option at all, employers will only sponsor very skilled workers that they can’t find over there. Canada might be an option though - they are encouraging of immigration.

Houses are very expensive in Australian cities as is rent. It’s a bit far to go if you’re not sure you can get a job. I’d be sticking with Europe if I were you. The nordics, Netherlands and Germany have lots of international companies where English is the language.

A change of scene could be just what you need - but you might need to lower expectations about the kind of job you can get at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You didn't give it a really good go if you arrived at your age with no savings. What did you do with your money?

to be fair OP, at some point it might be worth asking is it Ireland that’s let you down or is it yourself that’s let you down.

I’ve been a chef for 3 years for example and in my time have surpassed even those who started as commis before me.

I know lads who were working commis since 5 years and counting. I’ve put in the work and managed to get to chef de partie in no length.

I’ve worked with and for award winning chefs and helped my last place win a restaurant award as well!

Ireland has opportunity if you’re willing to put the work in and set yourself apart from everyone else.

no savings and living with folks at 30 odd doesn’t sound to me like someone who’s worked their arse off as you claim.

Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op is her her mid thirties. Also you lose half your salary in income tax over 40k here, which is nothing. What area do you work in OP?... the free houses your mates have, that's why even the working poor here are hit with an outrageous rate of marginal tax on a poor income...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭thereiver

Australia has a housing crisis house prices are as high as Ireland you ll be paying high rent if you can find a flat .

It takes 20 hours plus to fly to Australia

I can't think of any English speaking country where house prices are low this is an international trend Gen z pay high rents and require help from parents to buy a house and it's very hard for a single person to buy a house

if you can work at home online you can buy a house cheap in rural areas

• Advertisement
Advertisement