Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you emigrate

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think it was a rant as opposed to a serious question, given it was posed in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks for this lovely, helpful & positive comment! Id really appreciate if you could pm the boards user? If they dont mind me messaging them of course. Ive been thinking of Berlin for awhile now, I know of people who have moved there and they love it, they never came home, the only thing that stopped me moving was my lack of German and when I searched jobs they all seemed to require potential employees to be fluent. I applied to a couple of cafe jobs just to see what the process is like but I never got a reply. Youve given me renewed hope and i'll give Germany some more thought! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭winstonia

UK isn't that bad. Just stay away from London. Although it's a fairly poor country but cheap to live. Manchester is going crazy for house prices however you can still get a 2 bed in Liverpool for 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭suvigirl

As a jobseeker, You can go to any EU country and look for work. You have, I think 3 months, when you will get your home allowance of job seekers allowance.

Apply for lots of jobs before you go, but you can spend a few months in an EU country if you want, looking for a job.

My advise is try the EU

• Advertisement

This is very spot on! Is it that easy? I hope so! Seems to be so many regulations now with getting jobs and bank accounts, somewhere to live and everything set up! Just seems like such an expensive process!

This is what I thought! Unless youre working for google or teaching ESL or something, having German seems to be top priority on any job description ive seen.

Respectfully, you dont know the area of education I work in, what my qualifications are, how many hours im contracted for, what my outgoings are or how much I earn. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question but you are wrong in your assumptions.

This is great advice! Im saving this post, thank you so much for those tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Is it that easy? Yes ... and no. If you look for work in another EU country (assuming you're Irish) every EU employer is obliged to treat you and your qualifications as if you and they came from their own country. But that doesn't mean you can just walk into the same kind of job, because there can be local rules and regulations that are just as difficult for the natives to overcome, like needing a certificate of this or a diploma in that, or a requirement to be registered with the Guild of Such-and-Such or to be registered with the Chamber of Commerce ...

That's why I say that emigrating with the primary intention of looking for work risks being a very stressful experience; whereas getting involved in volunteering projects for three, six, even twelve months is much more rewarding. You may still need (the equivalent of) Garda vetting for some roles, but by and large, it's an easy way to get into an organisation and work alongside someone with similar - or identical - qualifications as yours, who can explain the nuances of the system; or alternatively, you find a completely different career path opening up for you thanks to a chance encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Do you mind if I ask what area you work in? I work in the IT dept of a supermarket chain. And they currently have over 200 jobs advertised. A lot only require english.

I dont really want to post anything too personal here like what I do for a living but im qualified in areas of visual arts, education & psychology. Id love to work in these areas, ideally id be involved in vocational education & youth work as im really passionate about supporting young people but unfortunately those jobs are mostly only available under ce schemes & are very underpaid, I worked in youthreach for a bit but the contracts just arent secure enough, the employers are finicky, lots of nepotism to get your foot in the door.. ive experience working with Autism, ADHD, Dementia, mental illness, disabilities, behavioural issues.. im very qualified for an area that's undervalued, underpaid and no one really gives a sh*t about. I followed my heart into a career path that lead nowhere tbh. Id happily work in a supermarket chain if it meant id have security, a regular income and a home to call my own!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That guy is just a sad person unhappy with their life and obsessed with the public sector for some bizarre reason.

Life ain't always empty.

OP if you don't have the local language, Netherlands, Sweden or Finland would be better choices than Germany. Many companies in these countries operate in English (especially Finland, expecting employees from abroad to speak it is just impossible).

But if your job is interacting with clients who speak the local language, then you must have fluency.

Life ain't always empty.

Thanks, this makes allot of sense, I will look into those countries, never thought of Finland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Take account of the time zone in Finland, if you are one of those Irish people who couldn't cope with having a neighbour in a different time zone. Finland has borders with Norway and Sweden, which are an hour different. They all change their clocks twice a year. It also has a 830 mile border with Russia which keeps Moscow time on the Russian side. Moscow is on a different clock again, and keeps the same time all year round.

That Russian border, and Finland joining NATO a year ago would keep me away from Finland at present. Along with the long dark winters and the price of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I love Finland and have spent a lot of time there. But, it's very different to Ireland, it's expensive and winter last around 7 months. It's dark. I love Finnish people, but they don't talk to strangers, they don't talk much at all!

Also, if you were to live there, you really would have to speak Finnish, in fact it's mandatory to take lessons.

Thanks, thats really allot to think about, just goes to show how clueless I am about different parts of the world but grateful for starting this thread as it helps me understand through your first hand experience and I think that excludes Finland for me. I know everywhere will have good and bad things to consider but from your comments Finland seems a bit impractical, I definitley want to go somewhere I can find a community and make some friends, id be prone to SAD too so long term darkness wouldnt be good for me. If I moved to a non English speaking country and liked it enough to stay there, I would without a doubt learn the language, however long it would take to become fluent is another strand to this that im very clueless about! If it was a little bit easier to get a job in a non English speaking country without the language id consider it as much as going to an English speaking country. Thanks for these comments, youre really making me consider places I woulnt have thought of otherwise and I appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Maybe you could provide some factual data - like I did - to refute the posts I made rather than resort to name calling? If you are unable to provide this data, then it says much more the type of person you are.

I was responding to another poster - not the OP - who incorrectly assumed teachers are poorly paid.

Post edited by salonfire on

Very odd post tbh

Finland is more secure now than before. Poundshop Stalin wouldn't dare touch them now.

Who cares what the timezone is. Most of Europe is not on the same timezone as Ireland anyway.

There's a large tech sector there and it operates in English. There are lots of roles related to the sector which don't require IT qualifications.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for being honest. But you missed out most important bit, the price of drink.

If that was the decisive factor, why is anyone still here?!

I seem to recall reading an article a few years back about measuring income across the decades in terms of 'pints per week'.

Back in the 70s my dad was on a pretty modest wage, he owned his own home, ran a car, provided for a (non-earning) wife and kids, and still sank a few pints pretty much every day. This is not an endorsement, just a statement. 😁 but even if I was so inclined, a pint in a pub is now a luxury!

Life ain't always empty.

Average earnings in Ireland would not make a pint in a pub a luxury. Your father's lifestyle is matched by hundreds of thousands of people these days. Nothing extraordinary with owning a house and driving a car. And having plenty of disposable income to spend on alcohol or whatever way people see fit.

Average Hourly Earnings in Ireland increased to 28.43 EUR in December of 2023 over the previous month. 

Advertisement