Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you emigrate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Marginal income tax rates matter.

People know them, and use them in decisions whether to work more or not.

The 48.5% marginal income tax rate on any income over 40k in 2023 is bonkers crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of the 3 people I am related to that did it.

One went to the UK as they had no job here because of the downturn, they worked for an agency that supplied catering workers got work most days but some days no work it involved going anywhere in the city they were in, not London, they had to figure out public transport and getting home late at night in a strange city by themselves, they lived with a couple, one half which did not want them there, worked out long them and they now have an excellent career, it took a good few years of living a Pennys lifestyle and a few promotions to get there though.

The other went to NZ on a two-year visa did agency work, lived in a hostel for a while, got residency, and got a job then her sister came over and did the same, one visited us last summer with her family, she hasn't a hope of buying a property where she lives in NZ despite having a good job, she is 50/50 about coming home for a while because as she has residency she can go back, she is in her mid-30s, also said it was hard going to get established in NZ.

Anyone I know that went anywhere did agency work first off even back to going to London in the early 80s lived on very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Listen. You're taxed a fortune over a pittance... that's it. I'm not bothered listening to some ffg apologist... the top rate of tax in many other countries, doesn't pay until you earn 200-250k. In Ireland, its 40k, I.e nothing

OP what do you think will be different about living somewhere else?

It is good to work things out on your own and not always have a room with your parents to fall back on because when you have no choice but to stand on your own two feet and no fallback positions you will make different choices of the young people I mentioned one had to wait until her mid-twenties to afford a visit to the hairdresser. was cut-price haircuts at a student place and a friend doing her highlights before that.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I thought teachers were in demand in Ireland? I know the pay is crap

Any sources to substantiate this claim?

Teachers have above average graduate starting salaries and at the top of their scale will spend the majority of their career easily inside the top 20% of income earners in Ireland.

On top of that, there is scope for additional income given their long holidays and still be left with more holidays than any other sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Apologies, I haven’t looked in years, it’s seems they have gotten and are due to get a fair few increases. I guess I was basing it on the whinging they do - it’s quite decent pay for part time work that’s for sure, and OP should have zero difficulty renting a room and saving. I suspect it’s probably hard to get a full role post with the year round salary when you are starting out - but everybody has to start somewhere.

posters have managed to shoehorn on their obsession with public service, taxes, and immigration along with a bit of racism on to the op post while not answering her post. cc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'm happy to have corrected the OP. They seemed to be under the impression they are badly paid. Maybe my correction has changed their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The scales aren't the problem. Thd issue is how hard it is to get a permanent position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Just go for it - pick a country in the EU that 1. you would love to live in and 2. is relevant to your work experience and qualifications and just jump ship and take the risk. Worst case scenario is it goes completely tits up but at least you have the option of returning home to your parents if that happens.

I wouldn't rule out the UK lots have made great lives in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Manchester, met new people got out of the rut they were in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

If you get a good job in the UK you may be able to buy a 1bed house , if you get a good job in Australia or Canada to you won't be able to buy a house .it's very expensive to fly to Australia eg you might be able to travel home maybe once a year .theres plenty of Irish people living in UK city's and having a good standard of life .

oh please you don’t lose half your income 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

When you say "English speaking country" do you mean that must be their first language - or just a country where English is very commonly spoken?

I only ask because I go to Germany a lot recently. One of my girlfriends got a long time contract there so we have been flying back and forth a lot recently.

And basically English is spoken everywhere I go almost. Small towns and a few obscure locations English has been a problem. But in general I meet people who speak English as well as you could possibly want.

And right now they are paying really high for skilled and educated people. You could do worse than move there I think at the moment. Though their economy is finally going through a little slow down.

I know a boards regular who lives there. So if you want any more information I can tell you who to message for any questions you might have. But every time I go to germany I come back happy and wonder a little why I dont live there myself.

Our phones really are watching us, I answered the question about emigrating and now my social media is trowing up ads:.. Recruitment for teaching in an international school in Zanzibar, teach English in Japan and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How to emigrate.

Hop on the bus Gus and make a new plan Stan. There's no need to be coy Roy. Just set yourself free.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Hatred spewing racist scumbags will bring something like this up.

Yes he could do that and just like here, he'd be photographed, fingerprinted and DNA taken and given €38 a week and told to fend for themselves.

Basically treated inhumanly and we should be embarrassed that anyone is treated that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Maybe the Isle of Man!?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

Or cricklewood

Frankly Im intrigued that a 'highly educated person' in their mid thirties, living in Ireland toda, doesn't know how to emigrate when perhaps no later than 40 years ago, many Irish people left our shores at age 17 or less to distant lands with no more than the clothes on their backs, not alone with any education of sorts.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed as well, I had a sibling who lived in a squat in Hackney in the 1980s they got on fine, finished college by going at night, and ended up with a good career and much better opportunities than they would have had here, there were loads of abandoned council properties in London in the 80s.

It wasn't all plane sailing though it could be rough and dangerous.

The point is they were barely out of their teens no such thing as a mobile phone, very little money.

This is worth watching if any remember the '80s

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

I have been living and working in Germany for the last 15 years or so, paying taxes and rent. All I have to say is, you are very wrong,

Not being able to speak German is a huge disadvantage in the jobs market over here.

Some psychologists has a parenting slot on the Clair Byrne show, a lot of his work would be with teenagers and children and his a firm believer in 18-year-olds moving out for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They didn't say anything about what they are working at, or what their salary is, but you got to climb onto your soapbox regardless so that's all that matters, eh!

Life ain't always empty.

Good luck with that these days unless your parents are minted though.

AH answer: OP, maybe try something a little less ambitious at first, like, say, Cork. Not much of a language barrier and most of the local foodstuffs will be familiar to you.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

48.5% marginal income tax on any extra income over 40k, as @Idbatterim said, which is true and correct.

It's bonkers. No wonder some people emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Christ is this just another AH thread whingeing about people on the dole (thread #9,999999) dressed us as something else?

If it is a real Q - Just quit your job and get a one way flight somewhere, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

It was easier in the 80s apart from the UK. It's hard to find an English speaking country that does not have rents or house prices as high as Ireland . I presume you mean where do I go to where the rent is not high

And you can get a job at least as good as the jobs available in Ireland

Advertisement