Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - questions need to be asked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Iv never seen as much dangerous driving the last few years. I'm driving 17 years now. I do about 20k a year average mileage.

I was driving home on a motorway last weekend and a drunk or drugged driver infront of me. Didn't chance overtaking as was drifting partially into the other lane at times and into the hard shoulder aswell.

That's just one example of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you can bring an adapter and the truely chape cyclist will be schrader valves all day

did you get new glasses or something?

in 2001 there were 415 deaths, 1.3 million less people

I just think people have very poor memories

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The tough questions are rarely, or never, asked when the latest road crash is discussed on Morning Ireland or on Prime Time.

If we aren't prepared to face up to the truth, it's doing a disservice. Bad driving has to be called out, even if you think its disrespectful to the families.

Do we even ever see collective figures at the end of the year? Ones which wouldn't identify a certain crash? Such as 50 crashes were down to mobile phone use, 72 down to drugs or drink driving, 34 down to excessive speed?

Even those stats would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’d also like to see evidence of this major danger.

I was doing 60 in a 60 zone a few days ago and glanced in my rear view just for a look and lo and behold a young lad in some shite box Audi touching the floor, he must have been touching my toe bar, I mean he could have reached into my boot if he was any nearer, I’d usually kiss the brakes a little with muppets like that but this lad was so close I’d have 100% caused an accident. This was an empty road, no traffic but no over taking - like what kind of level of stupid do you have to be to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2001 was more than 17 years ago!

also - road deaths are lower now. it does not immediately follow that people are better drivers now; the difference in car safety features will have a massive impact on road deaths.

if the average age of a car on the road is five years, we're comparing a fleet of cars from (on average) 1996 vs 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭lmk123

I encounter people travelling at 30-50km below the speed limit 6 days / week, since wer doing maths that would be 50-70 kp/h on a national road and 70-90 kp/h on a motorway, I would have thought it was obvious that I was talking about higher speed roads with the figures I used, while you were asking ridiculous questions you should have gone all out and asked how often I see someone parked in the middle of the road in a 50kp/h area or reversing away from their destination at 20ph/h in a 30kp/h area.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

That was exactly my point. They are just revenue generating for Go-Safe. Sorry, I should have made my point clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lack of enforcement.

Bad habit are habits. Enforcement should be catching people's doing their bad habits long before they escalate into a big accident.

In my youth you used to see a lot of garda's check etc. It was a regular thing. These days, I can't remember last time I've seen one. Same with cars being pulled over. Just hardly see it.

• Advertisement

and what did all this enforcement do exactly? People were smashing into each other for fun back then

drunk as skunks, driving rust buckets with bald tyres

kids standing up on the back seats, not a seat belt between them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

Encountered this few times and eventually after overtaking they give middle finger out the window. Maybe because my car is better and faster (if needed) than their $hitbox :D

Well, that €1 or €2 spent might save your life but it doesn't help if people won't use it.

Uber works everywhere else - have you ever used it? Having seen how some "trained" taxi drivers drive I would wonder could they be any worse. You can rate your driver on Uber and they'll quickly get a bad rap. Bar you are bothered reporting a taxi driver to the regulator....and what a waste of energy that would be.

Go Safe vans generate revenue for Go Safe and are deliberately put in easy to catch people speeding. Well, if you think that 10 million euro is a waste, then I'll see it and raise you 2bn because the public sector in this country couldn't plan a hospital.

Anyway, have a good day. There's a reason I skip past your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Yeah but you can't tackle this with more speed cameras on motorways/big national roads and double points and fines on bank holidays so therefore it will be ignored. It's all SPEEDZ.

People are driving like a33holes a lot more the last few years, mobile phone use is a joke (on a motorbike you can really see this). I've nearly been hit head on twice in the last 6 months by people coming onto the wrong side of the road looking at their phones on a dead straight road. People playing with touch screens in cars while driving at speed too, great idea having so much stuff assigned to these in cars now. Drug driving is definitely rampant now (I've even seen some claim they drive better stoned). Red light running is mental, tail gaiting, shite overtakes on country roads etc etc

The focus one reducing speed limits and throwing speed cameras at motorways will do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Go Safe don't get the revenue. They are paid a fixed fee regardless of how many fines are issued and paid.

Fines are paid to the Gardai, and don't cover the cost of the service.

This...

"...According to the current guidance, the primary objective of camera deployment is to reduce deaths and injuries on roads, with a study conducted by the London School of Economics finding that, from 1992 to 2016, traffic enforcement cameras reduced accidents by between 17% and 39%, while reducing fatalities by between 58% and 68%..."

"...International research of the effectiveness of roads policing in increasing compliance with traffic laws and reducing road casualties, has been shown to cut some collision types by around a quarter...."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Uber works every where else by forcing taxi drivers out of the business and turning it into a part time role. Taxi drivers are Garda vetted, trained in dealing with customers with disabilities and more.

Fines aren't paid to Go Safe.

If they won't pay €2 to pump their tyres, they can GTF off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Can you teach cop on when it comes to driving? Apart from speeding I've also seen some bonkers behaviour. Lack of gardai isn't helping to stamp it out.

For example last summer on the M7 in Birdhill after after entering the average speed camera zone. I came apoun a car that was starting to drift between lanes. Turns out when I managed to over take them was a young woman applying makeup no hands on sterring wheel while doing 100km. A friend of mine came across her a few month later same crack. I wish i had dash cam to submit of it.Another day I pulled up at a roundabout car in front 1 passenger with videos playing on phone on dashboard.

people with dogs on their laps while driving shouldn't be allowed either have seen that a few . All this along with phone usage where people are looking down at phones where a lot of the problems lie. Too distracted by other things

Any survey who would quote made up figures like that should be thrown in a bin

all the enforcement back when you were a lad resulted in what, a load of deaths

theres apparently no enforcement these days and way less deaths, as in 1/4 of them

explain this

Two tonne SUVs with a 4 million airbags, and 1 million computers and sensors telling (or stopping you) from driving like a moron, then saving you when you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You are wasting your time trying to educate that poster on the intracies of valves. Their post on was just silly.

"...Speeding is seen as the biggest cause of motor accidents for both the general population (41%) and amongst 44% of drivers. Carelessness was recorded in second place amongst 17% of drivers, followed by drink driving or having taken drugs a close third place recorded by 16% of drivers. These are the findings of a new survey of 1,000 people nationwide, 774 of whom are drivers, carried out by iReach Insights on behalf of Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC (Aviva).

Other causes contributing to road accidents amongst the respondents to the survey include the use of mobile phones while driving (11%), aggressive drivers (6%), and poor roads (5%). Only 1% of drivers believed weather conditions were a cause of motor accidents..."

You'd have blind not to see all the speeding. I'm not saying it's always dangerous either. But many times it is.

i've had more valves than you've had hot dinners

Regularly and often driving on the N80 (100km) into Wexford from Oilgate I would be behind someone (usually older person) scooting along at sub 50km.

It’s a hazard and you should stick to back roads with a 60/80kmh limit if you want to drive at an avg speed of 50 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know it's the North, but a drunk unaccompanied learner driver killed a pregnant woman and hospitalised 2 other pedestrians in Fermanagh the other day. Barely in the news.

So your solution to the problem of people getting from A to B in a rural part is "leave well enough alone". I'd reasonably argue that I'd rather a local sober individual drove 4 lads from place to place than 1 of them deciding to drive. If you don't see this then you don't get human nature. You can vet Uber drivers the exact same way as trained taxi drivers. It is a solution in places where there is no taxi service.

I did not know fines were not paid to Go Safe. But you seem to think people are perfect and won't speed. They will if there is no deterrent, 10m cost or not.

Again, you cay say that about the 2 euro (and I have my own pump by the way) all you want but again, you don't understand human nature it seems. How are you getting them off the road if they don't pay it and chance it that their tyres will be OK?

I think you lack an understanding of basic human behaviour to be honest.

that person should never sit in the driver seat of a car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they'll probably only get a 10 year driving ban, if even that

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement