Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How painful is breaking a leg?

Options

Comments

OP doesn't care about how the person broke their leg or how painful a leg break is.

OP cares about WHO broke their leg.

If it wasn't a shinner there'd be no thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I broke my leg in a hurling match when I was 25. Open fracture that initially caused more distress to those around me than it did to me. I was in pure shock and the pain wasn’t registering with me until I was being put on the stretcher and a cold wind blew across the pitch and hit the wound. Never in my life have I experienced the pain that shot through me. The oxygen was cranked up a couple of notches to try and stop me screaming.

i know other lads that have broken their legs but have played on in matches due to the nature of the break mixed with adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

For gods sake,I have broken more bones than any comment I have read on here but ye are missing the point of the thread ,read the op and give a " political" opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh it's none of that petty politics stuff, it is part of an ongoing Health and Safety campaign to Save Us On Our Stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I did not say "1000s" of times a day, I worked out that if say an average of 1000 trips a day are taken on the stairs , there could have been 100 million uses of the stairs since it was built.

I was only in Leinster house once, there were handrails on both sides of the stairs ( as you would expect), and i think we saw Joe Biden coming down those stairs last year. Good job there are handrails to hold on to as you descend, otherwise you could be sure there would have been a lot more accidents on the stairs than one, given up to 100 million uses could have been made of the stairs. Even if the stairs were just used 10 million times and 00.01% of users fell on them, that would be a thousand people, a thousand too many. Not to mention a huge cost to the state.

Bad enough one politician ./ taxpayer from outside the state falling and claiming, bur are we not awful lucky Joe Biden did not fall on those very steps last year? Poor old Joe has a history of falling, he fell on a stage last year and on another occasion fell on the steps of Ait Force One.

• Advertisement

The stairs posed no more threat to him than they posed to M. Gildernew.

The stairs was not to blame for her fall.

Why do you run off down cul de sacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Definitely an adrenalin rush, I used to fight amateur MMA before I did my ACL and when you are in a fight you don't feel a thing, punches , kicks dont hurt its after the pain comes.

The second and third sentence in the recent article in the paper were "Sinn Féin MP Michelle Gildernew sought damages from the Houses of the Oireachtas after falling down stairs while attending a committee meeting. She was paid a €10,000 settlement through the State Claims Agency in 2019"

Suppose poor old Joe Biden - while he was not wearing knee high boots, perish the thought - fell down the stairs ( which he descended during his visit to Ireland last year ), for whatever reason, in front of the worlds cameras and broke his leg, would'nt it have been awful too?

And why did she fall?

The recent article wasn't published to report on the case, it was published to try and get some dirt on a prospective candidate in an election here. It was therefore designed for people who will rush off and put 2 and 2 together and get 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A campaign to ensure every step in Ireland has handrails on both sides, a safety supervisor, training on how to safely use steps, fall arrest systems, special PPE (to be worn if the heel on your existing shoe is more than 0.01mm), and Dermot Bannon in jail for previous offences against staircases.

• Advertisement

Whatever you want boss, but are we not awful lucky Joe Biden did not fall on those very steps last year, when he visited Leinster House and descended the stairs there in front of the world's cameras? Poor old Joe has a history of falling, he fell on a stage last year and on another occasion fell on the steps of Ait Force One.

What I want has nothing to do with it, it's what the regulations dictate that matters. Anyone is capable of falling on any set of stairs at any given time.

We don't need to review and analyse every accident that has ever occurred on a set of steps just because you got p*ssy when informed that Dermot Bannon's stairs in one episode of Room To Improve complied with Building Regulations.

Slight anomaly in the campaign though. Having appealed to our emotions on other threads on behalf of granny and everyone else potentially falling, you would think the campaigner would be supportive of somebody who did fall,

But no, a whole thread has been opened to undermine one faller and to express doubt about her injury.

Curious.

The particular steps in that particular Bannon house down to the kitchen / living area was not seen to have a handrail, and in the UK houses there have to have a handrail on main stairs to comply with the building regs there ( I got an email from UK), but I know this is Ireland and the regs are a bit more vague here and there is not the same building control / inspectors. Anyway that thread / debate went on between many people for 345 posts, I stepped posting on it 55 posts from the end because I had got the info I wanted from different sources.

I am sure the Leinster house stairs are compliant, but at the same time are we not awful lucky Joe Biden did not fall on those very steps last year, when he visited Leinster House and descended the stairs there in front of the world's cameras? As noted before, poor old Joe has a history of falling, he fell on a stage last year and on another occasion fell on the steps of Ait Force One.

I never expressed doubts about her injury. I wrote "Nobody is doubting she suffered an injury." When the hospital phoned her and told her her leg was broken, her leg was broken.

Do you not agree we are lucky Joe Biden, who has a history of falling, did not fall on the stairs there when he descended them in front of the world's cameras last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I understand how you got to the 100m figure. (365k a year x 280years). I’m saying it’s ludicrous..

You just pulled 1000 times a day average out of thin air - that is exactly why is ridiculous. It simply wouldn’t have been used with frequency in the 1700s and 1800s (basic history knowledge needed there). Besides what's the point of this makey-uppy number. Say its 10m or 100m. So what?

he 00.01% claim is similarly nonsense. That would be 1 in 10,000. You're claiming somebody falls down the stair every 10 days, and this is a huge cost to taxpayers. LMFAO. I've been in Leinster House too. There are more than one staircase. The story doesn't say which one it involved. You better go and check them all. I'd imagine the back of house stairs are not as grand the the main stair.

Why are we lucky Biden didn't fall? What would have happened? Maybe we were only saved due to Biden's familiarity with the layout of Leinster House. That was a close one. LoL.

Or, maybe the stairs are fine and there's rarely incident. I mean, Michelle Gildernew didn't even fall on the stair. She trip on the landing, before she was on the stair. The form of the stairs is irrelevant.

You say she did'nt even fall on the stairs, but she said herself she tripped and fell all the way down the stairs in a very undignified manner. In the paper it also said she was absolutely mortified and she fell down “in front of TDs, loyalists, republicans, senators, you name it”. She drove home, but noticed her foot was “badly swollen” when she took off her shoe.

And I never claimed 00.01 % of people fell down the stairs. Get your facts right. If the stairs in Leinster house were used 1000 times a day since it was built that would be 100,000,000 uses, but for the 00.01 % figure I used the assumption of a tenth of that ie 10 million uses. That would be assuming the stairs in Leinster house were used 100 times a day on average, not an unreasonable assumption I would have thought.

I wrote " Good job there are handrails to hold on to as you descend, otherwise you could be sure there would have been a lot more accidents on the stairs than one, given up to 100 million uses could have been made of the stairs. Even if the stairs were just used 10 million times and 00.01% of users fell on them, that would be a thousand people, a thousand too many. Not to mention a huge cost to the state." If there were no handrails, I would not be surprised is 00.01% of people would fall on them. But of course there were and are handrails.

We are lucky when anybody doesn't fall. Why single out Biden?

Where the 'mericans gonna invade if Joe had an accident? Pull FDI? Throw the shamrock back at Leo?

What possible difference does Biden falling make?

The article, that you posted, literally described how she fell. Her boot got caught in a grate and she tripped. You even referenced this above (Biden in knee high boots). So she trip on the landing, which was presumable close to the stairs, and her forward tumble took her down the stair. The stairs did not cause her fall.

You don't even know which stairs she fell down.

And I never claimed 00.01 % of people fell down the stairs. Get your facts right.

I took it directly from you post. It's a completely made up number than means nothing

Even if the stairs were just used 10 million times and 00.01% of users fell on them, that would be a thousand people, a thousand too many

Those numbers are total nonsense. Fact. Handrails or not.

Not to mention all the other nonsense pointed out

I see you edited above:

If the stairs in Leinster house were used 1000 times a day since it was built that would be 100,000,000 uses, but for the 00.01 % figure I used the assumption of a tenth of that ie 10 million uses. That would be assuming the stairs in Leinster house were used 100 times a day on average, not an unreasonable assumption I would have thought.

The ridiculous part there is the 00.01% figure, not the 100 times a day. It's a meaningless number you've made up. Like the previous 1000 times a day average. You can't just invest stats and expect the point to mean anything.

Because Joe Biden is arguably the leader of the free world, the worlds cameras were focused on him in Leinster house last year and we all remember the footage of him descending the stairs. He has a history of falling, he fell on stage last year in America and fell on the steps of Air Force One once too.

It would have been awful if poor old Joe fell and broke his leg there last year.

The regs aren't more vague here. The regs are clearly laid out and Bannon's design clearly complied with them, as was pointed out to you several times. Your refusal to accept it or try to defer to regs and building control in other countries did not change that in the slightest, nor did your repeated referencing of a report from over 20 years ago saying 280 people died from falls that year despite the fact that was from a study into living accommodations for older/infirmed people and the report didn't even mention stairs.

Plus then you started saying how dangerous the overhang of the kitchen counter was. Then of course there's your other on-going thread complaining about a front extension Bannon did in another episode of Room To Improve.

You're as see-through as the glazing that Bannon likes to put everywhere in his designs.

• Advertisement

I agree the question about how the pain if a leg break is a red herring. But I don't think this is a Shinner thing. It's an obsession with stairs. I'm surprised the stats for people dying after falls has not been wheeled out yet.

Adrenalin will do a lot in the moment. Also, and likely in the case of the Xmas party story, alcohol hides a lot of pain until the morning.

You don't even know what stairs she fell down.

There are several in Leinster house.

Phone Joe Duffy on Liveline and ask him how painful his bad leg was when it was broken.

The only things I broke were nose and foot. Nose when I was a kid by falling on it, powerfully sore, but only found out it had been broken during the incident last year after a scan for a septoplasty.

Broke bones on the back of my right foot when stepping in darkness from a pavement to a parking area when I couldn’t see the edge of the pavement. It was incredibly sore to walk on, and I was limping badly. Next day went to VHI clinic in a taxi, diagnosed and given a boot and crutches. Was pretty healed up shortly after 4 weeks.

If Biden fell down the stairs, it would have been embarrassing for him. And almost 50% of Americans would been happy with it. I fail to see how it would have been different if if were Leinster House or the White House. again, maybe he was only saved because he was familar with the layout. Crisis averted

The regs are not more vague here, they are almost identical. That was shown, and your false claims were picked part in that thread. Refusing to accept that doesn't mean anything. But a pattern is emerging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I've had two leg breaks in my time. One was a double compound fracture to the tibia and fibula, after the initial period of shock it was the most severe pain I've ever experienced and still gives me hassle decades later.....the other one I found out was broken over a week after the incident.

So really the only conclusion I can come to is, "rabble rabble, Sinn Fein.....b*stards"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've never properly broken a bone, but I have had a stress fracture in my shinbone, and that was bad enough. It only really hurt when I walked on it, though.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Oh I duuno. If poor old Bidan had fallen down the stairs and broken a leg and been in awful pain, he might be looking for a Nato base in this country or something! He would not settle for €10000, that would be no use to him.

If someone unfortunately had to fall down, at least the politician concerned had youth on her side / was not old, and the fall was perhaps not as serious as it could have been, given she drove home before going to hospital etc. Some people Biden's age never recover properly from broken legs and such like. And to think he came down a stairs in Leinster house too, only last year, in front of the world's cameras.

• Advertisement

I think you've taken a few too many tumbles in your time. Maybe it's time to have that padded room installed

Advertisement