Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How painful is breaking a leg?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I broke a bone in my leg, my fibula playing a rugby game. It was sore but I drove home after didn't need casting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Francis McM

That is what I experienced too.

I wonder how dangerous the stairs in Leinster house are? Anyone got any photos of the stairs?

The building was erected in 1745. If say the stairs are used 1000 times a day, on average, say 365,000 times a year, that means the stairs have been used over a hundred million times? That is over 100,000,000 times.

Was this politician the first person to fall or trip on the steps there? The first person to get compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I broke both the tib and fib in my lower leg in one go about 15 years ago. Both a clean snap. It was so shocking an injury I don't think I actually felt any pain in the moment.

What was more painful was having a screw removed from one of the plates they had to install in my lower leg under local anasthetic.

The screw was threaded into the bone in my leg. Every turn of the screw was agony. I had to have them inject anaesthetic directly into the bone and even that didn't really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,934 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder how dangerous the stairs in Leinster house are? Anyone got any photos of the stairs?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Broke my back in 2 places in 2007, had a month of physio and a further 2 weeks before it was xrayed and fractures identified. It can happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

All at different stages but I've broken:

Left arm.

Left leg.

Right hip.

Left collar bone.

Left shoulder.

Right wrist.

Have to say the hip, wrist and collar bone were the worst. And because

I didn't bother with physio I am in agony some days. All give me terrible problems.

Reaching for a mug from a cupboard can be like someone stabbing you in the shoulder.

Barely able to lift things with my right wrist most days. Writing can be a struggle.

Walking can be difficult some days. I used to do a bit of running to keep the weight

down and keep the mind in good shape. This is out of the question until I get a hip

replacement.

I'm sure the stairs in Leinster house are a lot safer than those stairs in your photo. In the 279 years since they were made, how many times have the Leinster House stairs been used ( 100,000,000 ?? ) and is the politician from your party (well, the one you made over 50,000 posts for) the first person to fall down them and get a claim? What are the odds of that?

If the stairs in Leinster house were / are dangerous, should there, in the interests of safety.not be a supervisor beside them, to ensure they are used safely and properly? (In the interests of political balance, I seem to remember another politician who fell off a swing claiming there should have been a supervisor looking after them?)

Come on Francis, you are the investigator here, intrepidly setting out to prove a case.

Don't be asking me to prove it. You are making the case, the onus is on you.

The public, having read this story when first published back in 2012 have elected her as an MP and an MLA since. She has now decided to run as an MEP and suddenly the exact same story, no new info, from 12 years ago, appears again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When I saw this thread it reminded me of the David Busst broken leg playing for Coventry V United. I remember Schmeichel running off the pitch in horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

From up north. She was MP for Fermanagh and South Tyrone when the accident happened, attending an Oireachtas committee meeting in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

I broke an opponents leg in a soccer match many years ago. Perfectly legal tackle. Didn’t hurt a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

It was not the exact same story in 2012 because (according to the report in the paper) she was paid a €10,000 settlement through the State Claims Agency in 2019. That is 7 years later that 2012 by my maths?

Do you think that if the stairs are that dangerous in Leinster house, then in the interests of public safety should there not be a supervisor beside them, in order to ensure they are used safely and properly?

After all, another politician claimed she fell off a swing once because there was no supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Horrendous. That's why there was no way I was putting up any links.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Please don’t. Horrible. I think Denis Irwin actually tackled him (legally).

The stairs didn't cause her fall, a metal grating caused the fall.

The story that she was seeking damages was fully reported in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FCTwenteBenson

Eduardo's leg break v Birmingham City was also a pretty gruesome one, you could see the outline of shattered bone sticking out through through his sock.

Was the metal grating there since Leinster House was built, almost 300 years ago? If say 1000 trips a day are taken on the stairs ( 1000 uses a day by everyone there, which is not an unreasonable assumption ), there must have been 100 million uses of the stairs since it was built?

Was she the first to trip / fall and get compensation? If it was a regular occurrence, do you think there should be a supervisor at the stairs, surely? To explain how to use it, to maybe hold on to the handrail if unsure? To ensure proper health and safety footwear worn? To provide first aid in case of falls?

After all, another politician claimed she fell off a swing once because there was no supervisor, and was entitled to compensation?

• Advertisement

How would I know that?

As I said, you are making a case (such as it is)

You do the work.

Re: the other politician: she withdrew her case when it was found she was telling porkies about how the injury affected her.

Unless M. G, had the hospital in on it, there was no doubt she broke her leg.

Nobody is doubting she suffered an injury. After all,she said (according to the paper) after she drove home and went to her local hospital they x-rayed it and they thought it was an old injury because she had broken her ankle before, but they phoned her up some days or a week later (on the Friday) and said ‘Your leg is broken, will you please come back?" So if they said her leg was broken, her leg was broken.

I'm just wondering what could be done or has been done to make the stairs safer? After all, it is probably used hundreds of thousands of times per year and we should do all we can to make sure lessons are learned and such accidents do not happen again, where possible.

I'm just wondering what could be done or has been done to make the stairs safer?

info@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Check out Sid Vicious’s leg break when he faced Scott Steiner during the WCW Sin pay per view event back in January 2001. He tried a big boot to Scott’s face from the top rope. Unfortunately when he landed, all his weight landed on one leg and the leg snapped in two. It was pretty gruesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tore my quad muscle. Ripped it from the bone. Vomitted and couldnt breath with the pain.

Compound fracture to my shin bone. Didnt look great but nowhere near the pain of a proper muscle injury in my opinion.

Also tore ankle ligaments. Excrutiating. The thing with ligaments is you will never get them right again. Breaks heal fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I broke my fibula, tibia, and had a complete ACL tear along with a partial MCL and PCL tear playing a match. It was very, very sore, but I drove home (no choice) and limped on it a few days. I even tried going out clubbing the night of the break but it was too painful, even after a feed of drink. I ended up going to a physio about 3 days later... he took one look at it and sent me to the hospital where I got the diagnosis... the doctor couldn't believe I was limping around on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Assuming the stairs have been used 1000s times a day since 1745 is absolutely an unreasonable assumption. Completely ludicrous. Estimating the use at 365k x 270 years just shows unawareness of it's history. It's a public stairs, it's used often. That's it.

Assuming a stairs built in 1700s is safe compared to modern standards is a bit of a leap too. It's not even a given that the stairs was built in 1745. I'd be surprised if it was tbh. Leinster house is a big complex, it's not all from 1745, and even within the original part, there are multiple stairs that have likely been replaced. I'd be surprised if all the stairs where compliant to current standards (in fact, I know they are not). I don't think we know which stairs she fell down.

Besides, her falling had nothing to do with the stairs or a handrail (what's the obsession?). As the article clear states, he foot got stuck on a grate on the landing, she tripped and fell down the stairs. The issue, if you wanted to find one, would most likely be the grate. Bizarre digging up of an incident from 12 years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So having a handrail didn’t help at all 🤷🤷🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Assuming the stairs have been used 1000s times a day since 1745 is absolutely an unreasonable assumption. Completely ludicrous. Estimating the use at 365k x 270 years just shows unawareness of it's history. It's a public stairs, it's used often. That's it.

Assuming a stairs built in 1700s is safe compared to modern standards is a bit of a leap too. It's not even a given that the stairs was built in 1745. I'd be surprised if it was tbh. Leinster house is a big complex, it's not all from 1745, and even within the original part, there are multiple stairs that have likely been replaced. I'd be surprised if all the stairs where compliant to current standards (in fact, I know they are not). I don't think we know which stairs she fell down.

Besides, her falling had nothing to do with the stairs or a handrail (what's the obsession?). As the article clear states, he foot got stuck on a grate on the landing, she tripped and fell down the stairs. The issue, if you wanted to find one, would most likely be the grate. Bizarre digging up of an incident from 12 years ago imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

Suffered a very bad wrist fracture and dislocation playing football a few years ago, just remember a pins and needles type feeling wasn’t in agony. Had a metal plate inserted and real pain only started a few weeks later when the bone was “knitting”.

Again playing football, had metal studs raked down my shin, no break just a really bad wound, the initial pain was ten times worse than the wrist couldn’t walk for a couple of days afterwards.

Done my medial ligaments as well, got in the car afterwards and had to pull the car over half way home because my knee was seizing up in agony, again a worse feeling than a fracture/break.

Advertisement