Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How painful is breaking a leg?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,938 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Biden would first have had to prove negligence on the part of the owners to seek compensation and could be awarded up to 85,000ish if he succeeded. Anyone can fall and nobody may be negligent.

Should a grating, in which part of a shoe could get caught thus causing a trip, have been there, would be nub of the Gildernew case. It has nothing to do with age or the seriousness of the injury.

If you think that M. G. did not deserve compensation your issue is with PIAB who assessed the claim and accepted she had a case/

Do you get that part of all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What the hell did she get the 10 k for, if someone wants to go around in knee high boots its their own fault if they fall over in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Presumably the compensation was due to the fact it was cause by the grate. Either the size of the gaps, or it was simply broken.

What’s the issue with knee high boots? No more dangerous than “normal” boots coming halfway up the calf. Id say a bigger culprit is high heels that have zero support and a stiletto heels. Get stuck way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I’ve broken legs and ankles twice (left and right), both requiring surgery. The level of pain was nowhere near the ACL that I ruptured. With that kind of pain you’d nearly amputate your leg if you had a knife.

You can't see all the stairways on the Virtual tour of Leinster House but in this still you can see the type of grating it probably was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Oh my goodness, it would be a scandal if that grating was still there. The tip of the heel of a a stiletto knee high boot could get caught in it and cause a person to fall down the stairs. It better get fixed soon, the next person who trips and falls on it may be even more seriously injured, they may not even be able to drive home first before going to hospital.

knee high boot could get caught in it and cause a person to fall down the stairs

That is what happened.

*That one doesn't appear to be broken or capable of trapping a heel. Possibly upgraded or modified. Which is of course a good thing.

It better get fixed soon?

Did you forget you dug the story up from 12 years ago. Or are you trying to act foolish, to hide looking like a fool all the other times.

But how old is the video of the inside of Leinster House, see someone else's post, post no. 96?

And the article in the newspaper was from last Monday FFS ! She only got the compensation in 2019 it says, not 12 years ago.

Quote from the paper 5 days ago "She was paid a €10,000 settlement through the State Claims Agency in 2019.". So the settlement was 10,000. It does not say how much the initial claim was for. Was the 10k just "go away and keep quiet" money, it seems very little for a broken leg? Even if she drove home before going to hospital?

• Advertisement

2019 is 5 years ago...this would all have been on the public record, but the story is just published when she announces she is standing as an MEP here, coincidentally, nudge nudge wink wink.

And I'll say it again: If PIAB is paying out monies to somebody they believe is not entitled to it, the problem is PIAB.

A proper media would of course have done a deeper dig on this, if that is the case and FOI'ed information on how many like claims have been paid out.

The Irish News newspaper, based in Belfast, ran a story on it on 5th Feb this year too ( last Monday ). I suppose it is not every day a politician falls and breaks a leg in a public building in another jurisdiction. But the question, why did she only get a settlement of 10,000? I thought a broken leg would be entitled to much more compensation?

That is not information anyone on a website is going to have.

Here is a page from the guidelines and it seems to be an award in the range of that for a simple fracture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Couldn’t be any worse than reading this thread I’d imagine.

When it was paid out is meaningless. It was paid because it happened.

Leinster House had a major restoration from 2017 - 2019. The virtual tour is from after that. you can walk around virtually, count the steps, the grates. Have at it.

Listening to radio you dislike.

Reading threads that annoy you.

Touch of the sadist there Bobson?

The grates are still there, it seems. I must have a look if / when I am in Leinster house the next time, for the crack. If they are dangerous and have not been changed, I hope nobody has tripped on them since. Might ask some staff there about them, out of curiosity. Should be a warning sign beside them, at the very least, if they are dangerous.

I still think we are awful lucky poor old Joe Biden did not fall down them stairs too, when we saw him descending them when he visited Leinster House last year. In front of the worlds cameras and all. And the poor fellow with a history of falling, he fell on a stage in USA last year and also once on the steps of Air Force One etc. At his age some people never fully recover from broken legs and such like. I know one unfortunate lady his age, broke a leg and was in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Could have been gruesome, but we could have shown the world how great our hospitals are. Wonder would he have been taken to St Vincent's private rather than St. James or the Mater or where? Would have been major world news anyway.

I would not like to see him chancing those stairs again. As said before , a 10,000 euro settlement would be no use to him if he was injured, he would want at the very least a NATO base on our west coast. As would half of America who would never forgive us for the accident.

Post edited by Francis McM on

Where is the grate? Which stairs?

But FYI there’s nothing inherently wrong with floor grates. They are used in modern buildings all the time for ventilation, just need to not get geeks stuck.

It's painfully grating to see an irrelevant Biden invoked when your point (such as it is) has no handrail to hold onto anymore.

If poor old Joe Biden had been the politician from another jurisdiction to fall down the stairs (not extremely unlikely, given he has fallen elsewhere a number of times in the past few years?) and had unfortunately suffered a major injury, the course of Irish history could have been changed. We could have had to put a NATO base off our coast, the least we could do in the way of compensation. Sure there are plenty of empty spots could do with a bit of employment on the west coast anyway. They could fill in the potholes. And think of the busloads of American tourists who would want to see those dangerous stairs?

😀

• Advertisement

You should offer yourself as a voluntary stair supervisor next time Joe comes. Would stop you trying to worry us and yourself.

I wonder did Joe get any compensation after he fell on the stage in the USA last year, or after he fell on the steps of Air Force One? If I was one of his minders I 'd be telling him not to chance those stairs in Leinster house Michelle Guildernew fell down anyway.

You do a lot of wondering.

Any chance I ‘wonder’ that you could make a coherent point in the realms of what can be answered?

All your other wonderings have been answered where the info is available.

No need to be so touchy. I had already tried to check had Joe Biden got any compensation for his falls in the States, but nothing came up, just that he fell over there on a stage at a U.S. Air Force Academy, that he slipped while descending the steps of Air Force One etc.

It did say he earned between $2,500 and $5,000 in book royalties in 2022, that he is paid only $400,000 a year as US President etc. Maybe after all he could do with a few quid if he was unfortunate enough to fall down the stairs here?

You have 65,000 post and you are still wondering.

Do you

(a) not think we are indeed fortunate Joe Biden did not fall down those stairs last year (given his history of falls) and

(b) think if he was unfortunate enough to fall down the stairs here he could do with a few quid, given that he only earned between $2,500 and $5,000 in book royalties in 2022, and that he is paid only $400,000 a year as US President?

A) ‘don’t meet the devil half way’ was a saying of my granny about worrying. I don’t worry about such things. Make sure the building is compliant and as safe as can be and you won’t have any need to worry either. Falls happen all the time and nobody need be negligent for them to happen. As PIAB paid a settlement clearly they thought it was warranted.

b) Again, of no concern of mine.

So you would not care if he fell or not, or if he got compensation as a result of any such fall.

No, I don’t spend my time worrying about possibilities.

I think if you fall due to somebodies negligence then you are fully entitled not to be out of pocket. That is why my business has public liability and there is an onus on me to be compliant.

• Advertisement

Have to laugh, you do not " spend your time worrying about possibilities". You have probably over 50,000 posts about a united Ireland, you are the person in the whole state most worried about a possibility! But do not worry, it will never happen in our lifetime. Far more likely poor old Joe falls again, unfortunately.

Advertisement