Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Augme

Because two parties who weren't as popular as them didn't want to go into government with them.

Well, obviously Justin McNulty forgot he was a SF MLA because he isn't a SF MLA. He's a member of the SDLP.

I assume the NI electorate at least know which MLAs belong to which party though. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Without a doubt she is the worst orator of any of the main parties. Her Ard Fheis speeches are about as inspirational as a Stephen Kenny post loss interview.

I'm no fan of Mehole, but if you didn't know he was a sleeveen, speech wise he comes across as genuine and ready to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But the overall SF are basically controlled by "SF/NI" in my opinion. This represents a major problem for SF/ROI in my opinion. How can SF find the right balancing act? The ROI electorate want a lot different things than the NI electorate want.

When the ROI electorate have to hear SF criticising FG (McEntee) on law and order, coming not long after the SF Dowdall PR fiasco, and how many of the rioters in the Dublin riots are basically the traditional ROI voter base SF have targeted. It really puts them between a rock and a hard place.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

PBP will be finished next election, Murphy isn't even able to canvass in his local area because he fears for his safety according to Brid Smith.

She's retiring, Murphy could lose his deposit never mind his seat, we will get a good laugh watching Ruth Coppinger try yet another disastrous run to go with the last GE and her Seanad bid.

Very possible the only radical left TD back in will be RBB, on account that his constituency is full of living at home revolutionary gender study baristas from Glenageary and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

I hate McEntee and her party with a passion. I think most SF voters do.

Sinn Fein didnt are not losing support to FFG they are losing it to Lab and the Soc Dems likely as more middle class young people get handed deposits from their parents. They are still the biggest party by far in working class Dublin.

A big issue is that working class Dublin (sub 50k earners) are in a totally different position to working class Munster or Ulster where housing is accessible so we don't have working class voting unity in the way say a traditional centre left would.

Ive come to the conclusion that most of Ireland just dont care about the urban working poor and nothing is going to change, the prevailing view is if you can afford an annual holiday you dont deserve any supports while struggling to get by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That's like, just your opinion, man.

I disagree. As do the OECD.

Mary Lou is not a good orator especially when she shows up her standard of the Irish language, reading it staccato off a page.

Speaking Irish live is even worse large blocks of English phrases such as "Bungalow Blitz" on Irish language media repeated with the odd word of Gaeilge, it sounds embarrassing to be honest.

But she is middle class and has more rounded vowels than many in SF, which plays slightly better with the ROI electorate which is why she was the chosen leader in the ROI-SF. The added advantage that she is female so is less threatening, than a traditional male SF representative. A shrewd move by SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Emigration, terrorism, MaryLou has made some bone headed statements recently, no coherent plan offered on how to solve the housing crisis, their heavy hitters haven’t really landed any blows on the Government over the last few months even though they have had ample opportunity, or, it could just be that people realise they are a shower of bluffers who could actually make matters worse.

I left college during the recession to call centre work. We didnt have a big divide like now and people didn't look down on others the way they do now.

Unemployment is not stigmatised in recessions, its understood, I was unemployed in covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly.

People wanting assets to crash dont seem to realise that their jobs, their social welfare and social services all crash with them.

Wouldnt a better strategy be to upskill and take advantage of all the great jobs in ireland, especially for those living in Dublin.

• Advertisement

What up skilling can you do that will get a single person a home in Dublin?

Do we really need another thread dragged down this rabbit hole of self pity?

I already corrected that typo

You are the type of poster who has an avatar from an area in the world you very likely never visited, nor will visit.

Why? Basically because "traditional SF" spiel is high on symbolism, low on anything else. And that is why you are drawn to them. The image.

The symbolism guff can only last so long, with an electorate in the ROI. It is real politics in the ROI not the playschool type stuff that goes on in NI.

ROI politics reminds me mostly of the top stream in school, high quality debate reasoned argument from those in power.

NI politics? It is just a place where most hope they stay quiet. Easily distracted, high on symbolism, and getting very little done. Not a place that the majority of the ROI takes seriously or cares about. Glorified county councillors.

It is the balancing act SF are struggling with. How do SF balance immigration/law and order/rule of law in the ROI. With the NI mindset symbolism and the constant glorification of a murky past - which plays well with the NI electorate?

Difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

SF are a clueless toxic shambles. More people are finally beginning to see through the fog of flowery rhetoric that MLMCD keeps spoofing now that the contradictions in their so-called 'policy positions' are multiplying apace as outlined above. They purvey nothing but populistic piffle. Heaven forfend that the running of the country be handed over to this disreputable shower of chancers.

STEM jobs for most pay in the 50 - 70k range which wont buy a house for a single person unless its a commuter town or Swords and Balbriggan which is so far away its a commuter town. Im already close to that salary range. (within it in fact but not as a base salary). You need to be making 80k+ to buy in Dublin if your single

It's more than a typo. It was something factually incorrect.

I have an avatar in support of a country where women and children are being blown to pieces that is largely supported by western countries.

I'm not a SF voter and never will be, so I've no idea how that makes me "drawn to them". You're dislike and insulting attitude to North Ireland is quite interesting.

Of course its a difficult balancing act, hence the reason FG and FF are doing a terrible job at it. The idea that any party can make it any worse is very unlikely though.

Near full employment despite the fact that our population hasn’t been as high since the Famine and only 10 years ago we were emerging from a deep recession, lots of high paying jobs, practically every property has a buyer, first time buyer numbers are up, only a fool would think there isn’t scope for matters to be worse.

Employment so good, I needed to take on a second one at weekends to pay my rent to avoid living in horrible house sharing situations

Maybe its just that this country couldnt give a crap about single people?

I was specifically referring to immigration as the poster mentioned. There's a very small percentage of hugging paying jibs tbh. There's a reason we are struggling to with numbers of nurses, gardai, teachers and other essential roles. Practically every property does have a buyer- the likes of Ryanair and vulture funds are a great help with that.

Think how sorry you would feel for yourself if Sinn Fein raises your taxes to pay for all their promises, or you lose your job because they tank the economy.

You are bad enough even though you earn €70k a year.

• Advertisement

Ryanair bought 28 houses so staff have a place to live, they are not highly paid, and people are losing their sh**t.

I will happily pay more taxes if I get proper services. If we had another recession no one would be stigmatised for being unemployed. Its the current looking down on people renting or living at home on average incomes situation thats the issue. Its not even lifestyle etc, or the act of renting, its being looked down on socially for it thats the issue

It sums up the shambles that is the housing market. Staff who are being priced out of affordable accommodation in Dublin. Why shouldn't people be highly concerned about that situation?

Ryanair staff should be paid enough to own their own homes (as should every worker as its whats expected in our social norms) instead they are renting from their employer. Thats why people are pissed at it

Your logic is, Ryanair cabin crew should be paid enough to be able to own houses in the most expensive, and highly sought after market in the country?

Seriously?

Of course they should. Or they should have social housing. Or those jobs should not exist in Dublin if they cant afford to buy in them. Ireland is not a renter society, we own homes. Meaning workers need to be able to own homes, all workers basically.

In the 80s, 90s and 00s an aer lingus cabin crew worker would have owned a home.

No, I want cheap Ryanair flights.

I don’t know what AL staff were paid when you say they owned houses, but there was little competition in the airline industry, no budget carriers offering cheap flights, higher unemployment and more houses, none of which exist today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If only their was a centre left, mildy nationalist party to vote for.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement