Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

What perspective do you want, take over in 2014 and gone in 2019 with less units when the population is growing.

This is after promising to build houses while in control.

I already discussed this with you on another thread so why are you stil confused on the topic. All the information was provided so you should be up to speed a chara

It's true, the number of units available in 2019 was less than in 2014. Sinn Fein after a huge win in 2014 local election had control over DCC.

I couldn't be bothered making up lies like the Sinn Fein supporters group. Whats the point? i have nothing to gain.

The lack of housing in Dublin of course has forced people to move outside Dublin and this has pushed the crisis out.

IMO Sinn Fein have spent years trying to make the housing crisis as bad as possible at every turn, why wouldnt they? even recently they started to back away from actually saying they will fix it if they get into government, saying it would probably take two terms. Why would anyone vote for them based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Though some expect a protest vote, anyone with something to lose like higher taxes, LLs, reduction in value of primary asset etc will ask how putting SF into government will make their lives better. The only way they will be convinced to support SF when it actually comes to putting that X in the box will be if SF can convince them that their policies will improve their already good lives, won’t make it worse, and that they can succeed in delivering their promises. Nothing SF have said so far convinces me they can build more houses and improve the lot of disaffected voters. They have done a lot of posturing, a lot of criticising, but provided no detail about how they are going to do what they say they will.

For all those in this thread who plan to vote SF, which part of their housing plan convinces you that they will build the houses needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

our population increasing ….It’s due to in the most part due to immigration.

population 2016 …4,761,865

population 2022 … 5,149,139

the population predictions going forward are scary as fûck…

Btw that’s an 8.13% population increase in 6 years.

that is nuts and unsustainable…

And with other situations it’s probably going to become a lot bigger a percentage increase.

And SF will accommodate and accelerate it, they want votes, no matter how they acquire them and from whatever community.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't think it has anything to do with immigration as such, they failed to make the most of their populist wave of support that's all they don't sound new or fresh anymore they have become part of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Anyone with a job and getting a decent pay. Sinn fein said they would tax the rich, that was 140k and everyone said that was not an issue.

Then at the drop of a hat that was reduced to 100k because they couldn't get all the money they wanted, this was while giving the rich a tax break with promising to remove the LPT.

What is to say they don't turn around when they get into government and say the numbers are wrong and drop that to 60k? it's not like they didn't drop it already.

You will find a lot of people wanting SF think they will be able to either get a free house or a house for next to nothing. THey also love the "tax the rich" but it's not really "tax the rich", it's just "tax everyone but me". Which is not really a sustainable government plan

We had a huge amount of Irish return during that period who had left following the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As my OH would say, build a bridge and get over it. Yes, a single person on an average income should be able to afford decent accommodation. That does not equate to a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Senior hurling sure would be a different country for SF is what I'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The problem can either be dealt with now or kicked 20/30/40 years down the line when we're faced with an increasing number of pensioners who can't afford to rent their homes anymore. What then? The government of the day can either let them face homelessness (not gonna happen) or pony up a fortune to house them. There won't be any building of bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭_Puma_

1 word. Immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You are 100% right about SF

I remember a few years ago, CA had a lot of SF supporters, crowing about how SF is going to lead to 'real' change.

But there was never, ever any discussion on policy. It was all personal attacks against the likes of Maria Bailey, Leo Varadkar, McEntee, Pascal or Simon Harris. Childish banal stuff, day in and day out, playing the man, never the man, and never a policy discussion.

We have a long-running SF thread, where all the SF supporters eventually got banned because all they wanted to do, in the SF thread was talk about FG or something else, other than SF.

That tells a lot about them.

They want to talk about how bad everything is or how crap things are rather than promote their own news ideas, policies or initiatives. The latter never happened.

This is true of their supporters and true of the leadership of the party. Great at telling you whats wrong, but won't tell you how to fix it.

For tricky stuff, they just sat on the fence, which worked for a time. But now, its coming back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The opposite is true, Irish people returned following the crash then left again once the worst of it had passed.

Net migration since 2016 has been dominated by the 'rest of world' category, that is non Irish/EU/UK. Irish net migration has been essentially zero in that period (2016 saw a larger number leaving with 2021 seeing an increase in those returning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

The title of this thread is a bit well ott, they are still most likeable going to be the largest party in the country at the end of the next election and by a good margin. If they dont form a government which they might not they will still wag the dog. They are a serious force now and have been for the last 4 years. They aren't going away you know no matter what the auld guard wish for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I support them only as I want a united Ireland 🇮🇪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They wont wag anything if they arent in power.

And in fact, their endless moaning will just become white noise over the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

what happens in one local area isnt reflective of what would happen to the country itself. Theres a zillion reasons why you could take over in 2014 and have less units in 2019 - and thats more than likely due to the growing population. Who decides tax rates on materials etc to build homes? the opposition? Theres plenty a government can do to help the likes of DCC have more units. not much a councillor in DCC can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SF is doing well, made history in the north, getting into the good books of many. Some like to focus on the bad (though which I call good) news with all the right wingers inherited from FG falling off now theres a handful of extreme groups to vote for. Water finds its level as they say, and thats what SF's support us currently doing. It still is miles ahead of the opposition. They'll do better with a support who understands what the party is about in regards their social outlook rather than people who think ireland is for the irish (whatever that actually means I do not know). Glad to see that kind of support fecking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TelephoneTag

A lot of uncommitted and frankly unwanted low-grade type of voters slinking off.

Better before the election than afterwards.

• Advertisement

If you run on a platform of building houses in local elections, win a majority, and are handed the funding to at least make a start on the building, of course it is reflective. If you can’t come through in a local area when you have the money, how are you going to do it nationally when you don’t have the money?

Again, this goes back to my point. What detail of SFs plan convinces you they will be any better at it? I’m not asking the what, I’m asking about the how, have they told you how?

Thing is, in the run up to elections, parties who want to be in government tend to want support to increase, welcoming supporters/voters fecking off would be a unique viewport for any party with ambitions. They are 8% ahead of FF, 20% behind the current Government, so I’m not sure why you consider that miles ahead. In fact, given that this is the third poll in a row and support for SF at its lowest in 3 yrs, non political party panelists in last nights Tonight show, were speculating on whether the Government parties would call an early election to capitalise on SFs fecking off decline in support.

I do agree with you, water finds its level, it appears SF may be finding theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I cannot for the life of me see any way that my life will not get worse than it is under SF.

I want it to get better or at least not get worse. I used to think SF had something, now I realize its just hot air and big mouths that they have. There is nothing to them. And that would be very dangerous to let them have any sort of power, because you never know what their wrecking ball would hit as they faff around trying to make an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TelephoneTag

They were also attacking the Palestinian authority representative.

It was not the event to hijack.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Madeoface

Their fox hunting stance in NI? Laughably fox hunting is the most west Brit thing the planters left behind but they didn't vote against it.🤫

I'd say it's their goo goo economics. Building fantasy houses in a labour market that is at full capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Francis McM

As others have said, it is people seeing through the populism, their links to terrorism, immigration, the calibre of most of their politicians. Some would say Mary Lou and shouty (as they call him) are the best of a bad lot. Mary Lou recently fawned over Gerry Adams who she called "our leader". Is SF controlled by the A.C. in Belfast or not? Are the glamour girls with their fancy clothes and heavy make up just puppets? And then they are associated with Michelle O'Neill, who talks out of both sides of her mouth when she says there was no alternative to IRA violence (what an insult to all to decent people who suffered as a result of same) and then she has the audacity to say she will be "a leader for all". Sorry, I do not buy it, or their utterances on immigration (out of both sides of their mouths) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

From the polling I'm not seeing a significant transfer to other established parties.

The next election could well be the breakthrough of some very nasty politics.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Are all 1.9m Northern Irish people homeless and planning to move here after reunification? Reunification doesn't just mean adding 1.9 million people, it also means adding 14,330 km2 of land and the settlements these people live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

SF will definitely make the rental crisis worse, after some sterling work by the current Government in creating it. In fact, to give SF their due, they have already done a lot to make it worse, because several landlords I know decided to get out of property in case they are in government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement