Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds like you might simply be upset that you're not involved in the industry. Have you thought about setting up a B&B and being part of the solution, not the problem?

Clearly they hate foreigners, or they wouldn't be setting fire to buildings set to house foreigners. Or "hunt down refugees"

"Some groups of protesters attempted to hunt down refugees sleeping in accommodations across Ireland."

Some are saying to go after those acting out in violence. Fine.

So you agree, go after arsonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

I agree in so much as it's a technicality.

But it won't stop arson, and is in fact likely to further aggrieve and increase arson.

And it doesn't do anything to solve the causative problem at all.

Again, it's the stupid man's approach to solving a problem. It doesn't work.

There is historical precedent for how this situation plays out in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Aggrieved by what?

How can you be aggrieved by people wanting to live somewhere they might have the chance of living in safety and free?

It's a good job the criminals haven't worked out that the maternity wards are full of new arrivals that are going to spend the next sixteen years sponging of the taxpayer and many others besides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Augme

So they these protesters want all foreigners banned? But of course, that's not based on hatred of foreigners.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

So arrest arsonists

"no not like that"

Precedent under a foreign occupying power.

It doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

But it had to have been going by your reasoning. You said I supported ISIS because I pointed out that a terrorist group doesn't spring up organically. October 7th 2023 was the start of the Israel/Palestine conflict with Hamas forming on October 6th for no reason.

• Advertisement

"How can you be aggrieved by people wanting to live somewhere they might be ...?"

It's a case of affordability, isn't it? For analogy, let a few other people move into your home withot any say and you'll be totally fine with it, right? "How could you be aggrieved?"

Very easily, as a matter of fact.

Multiple capacity crises at large in the country, deepening, and some are *wondering* how irish people could be aggrieved at the constant arrival of more and more. Shocking lack of reality on display.

Capacity crisis and you endorse arson of said capacity as a solution?

Oink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Regardless of the rights or wrongs without these protests I don't think Govt policy would have changed. Now McEntee and O'Gorman are now listing new 'safe countries', cutting SW payments for migrants and chartering planes to repatriate those who fail the test.

Up until now anyone who mentioned any of the above was either told to stay quiet or called far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Whatever one's opinions, consider this.

SF were the public face of a movement that represented a group that assassinated security force reservists when they were on day jobs like driving school buses.

They shot dead off duty service members and other reps of the establishment outside Mass, they hit one man in the car park of a hospital where he was visiting his newborn.

SF has expressed regret that these things had to happen, but in the vast majority of cases they have not apologised, and its supporters online frequently mock the bereaved from the Unionist side who bemoan the increasing seeping of republican pop culture into the mainstream (the newfound fame of the Wolfe Tones, the Kneecap film)

This same movement now says things like burning empty buildings, or a silent protest outside the home of a public representative, is completely beyond the pale. They also routinely cry a river when every July their reps posters are burned on bonfires, but defend the right of our national sports teams to sing rebel songs, and get upset about Zombie, a song they didn't seem to even notice the content of for the prior 30 years.

Their friends in the PBP can't even bring themselves to condemn the death of a young Irish female citizen in Israel and the kidnapping for a 10 year old, but a protest outside a hotel is too much.

I've never seen anybody as sensitive TBH/

The pro arson thugs will be shocked when Insurers stop underwriting policies and existing policies cost more than they can afford

Burning someone else's beds, but you'll be laying in it soon.

Where have i stated my reasoning? You said that terrorists organisation spring up due to "genuine and legitimate concerns of people being ignored and trampled on". You obviously feel ISIS have genuine and legimate concerns, other you wouldn't have said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

I watched one of these Anti-immigrant muppets on social media asking a lad from Afghanistan about his status. After the lad answered, the muppet claimed he should go back.

WTF ?did he not see the people sitting on the wings of planes departing Afghanistan because they were so desperate to get away before the Taliban came back? People fell off the plane to their deaths. Men who worked in the Afgan government and police force would be killed if they stayed.

Most of these activists support Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein Supports Palestine yet these uneducated (anti-immigrant) fools want young men who escaped Gaza to go back.

They don't support anything; they are so lost in their own sad, non-event lives. They latch on to anything to make themselves feel less worthless.

I am 100% born and raised in Ireland FYI

First time ive heard Ukrainian refugees derided as 'opportunistic foreigners' lol

"yes! putin leveled my hometown, put my family and friends in mass graves, flooded our lands and minelayed our neighborhood - this is my chance to get one over on the irish!"

So you deny there's multiple capacity crises?

And do you also deny that there is an unprecedented population increase in Ireland due to mass migration?

And do you therefore believe that they are two totally separate events, with no causative effect whatsoever?

Or does your argument top out at making pig noises?

As to me "endorsing" arson, I have, literally, stated I do not endorse arson. What I have argued, and argued well, is that there are very distinct reasons as to why arson is occurring. And if those reasons are not addressed, logically, arson will continue. With historical precedent. But there are certain types of people who abhor reason, usually the type without argument or defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Did the US invasion of Iraq and brutal treatment of the populace have anything to do with the creation of ISIS?

Did the US involvement in the Middle East and support of Israel have anything to do with the creation of Al-Qaeda?

Did the British occupation of Ireland and brutal treatment of the people have anything to do with the creation of the IRA?

Did the Israeli treatment and occupation of Palestine have anything to do with the creation of Hamas?

Have all the reasons they sprang up been logical or legitimate to me, no, but they were all formed by people who felt THEY had legitimate reasons. As someone with a Palestinian flag in their profile you obviously support Hamas and the October 7th attacks (see how easy it is to throw out the terrorist supporter label)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Shoog

Arson is not a legitimate form of protest, and burning out the colonial Anglo-Irish is in no way a comparable situation.

You may want to picture this as the start of a war for the Irish nation - but that's just more fascist hyperbole.

“I don’t support arson but the arson will continue until morale improves”

yeah okay. Does your argument top out at insinuating others besides yourself are pig thick?

if there is a capacity crisis then burning down capacity solves literally nothing. Quite the opposite.

And that is precisely the thing those in power (not necessarily government) hate and fear.

Introduce supremely stupid and destructive situation, allow no political choice in the matter, matters are taken into violent directions, things change.

This could be a somewhat ethically confusing situation were it not for the fact of its simplicity.

Multiple capacity crises, an ignorance of the government to its peoples rightful demands year after year as more and more people arrive, it doesn't get any easier to understand who/what is right or wrong morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I do not condone arson for one minute - it is reckless and potentially very dangerous.

BUT - hear me out - there is absolutely fierce huge, huge anger out there in society over how the migration issue is being “handled” by the government.

People are literally crying tears in frustration and anger over the feeling of hopelessness.

Government just won’t listen to concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The thread specifically relates to criminals.

If people don't like migrants it's entirely their business and if they want to change things within the normal democratic system, then that's fine.

So whatever you wish to do, go ahead but don't incite criminality, or stir up hate and You will receive nothing more than the contempt and disgust I freely give to all racists and bigots.

I mean, who wouldn't want to support these great bunch of lads?

Convicted drug dealer Delaney, who previously told how he flooded Ireland with drugs in the 1990s, this week encouraged “everyone who belongs to the Irish underworld in Dublin” to join the far-right National Party.

I've made my argument clear and concise, repeatedly, with historical precedent to boot. Any insinuations about ignorance are self-induced and displayed by others.

As to the farcical idea that the loss of a building that...

1) was only ever intended for migrants,

2) would therefore have no positive impact on capacity itself for irish people,

3) but would otherwise continue the trend of more buildings being repurposed ad infintum for more migrants, therefore ACTUALLY a disimprovement to Irish people and the capacity crises going forward,

Well, it's farcical, isn't it? Very stupid, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Shoog

Haters are born and bred as haters, they do not grow into hate they just try to justify the hate that runs through them like words in rock.

Haters will hate even if there was never a refugee in Ireland. There just the dog **** on my boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's not even funny how dishonest people can be. If you've followed the rise of this stuff and know the people and groups involved you'll have learned that most of them hate SF, probably more than the rest of them, due to their supposed "Irish nationalism". I too hate SF, but clearly not as much or as desperately as you do.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement