Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're spending an awful lot of time defending and justifying arson and acts of terror aren't ya

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Trying to make negative associations to a genuine malcontent across the country is, at best, a delaying tactic to solving the problem, and at worst, shyte.

Regardless of whether Mussolini McHitler says that mass migration is a growing and very serious problem already, or whether Bambi O'Harmless states it, the fact of the matter is that it's a very serious issue that, in the absence of any legitimate action, is resulting in increasing violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Augme

And like you've been telling us all, the increase in violence is no fault of the likes of Scott Delnaey, but is in fact the government's fault.

Yep, it's called reasoning and putting forward thoughtful argument that will hopefully lead to changes that address the causative problems. Explaining a problem is not endorsing the results of a problem. As much as you'd like it to be, apparently.

Meanwhile,you're spending a lot of time calling for arrests, disregarding history, disregarding reason and, if I recall, something about concentration camps.

Big raised eyebrows.

As I said, we will just have to agree to disagree on your position that ISIS are acting on their "genuine and legitimate concerns".

• Advertisement

If it wasn't that person, it would be another. If it wasn't another, it would be another. And so on.

Creating problematic situations manifests itself.

Until the causative, root problem is addressed, violence will continue and even grow. This, as big a pain in the hole as it is to repeat again and again, is not an endorsement of violence. Its an explanation, and a view to making violence unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Do you have the slightest clue about

Total bloody garbage mush. There was no British democracy before the Peterloo massacre and even then half the population were not allowed to vote.

Even the lip service to democracy that was practiced in Ireland depended on Catholic land bein given to protestants.

Names?

Sick is a state of body or mind.

Your idea's are not normal.

I might have missed it but if anyone can find some old posts of me defending arson and acts of terrorism, especially over the outcome of an election, I'm all for being called out on it.

Won't hold my breath tho.

All terrorists have a reason for carrying out violence and do so because they want their objectives meet. But the idea that one should do what they want to stop their violence isn't a very smart move as it just encourages further violence.

More from the anti-immigrstion protest today.

A man handed out copies of The Irish Patriot

Tied to gript I wonder?

The front cover story featured a photograph of Leo Varadkar and stated "Increasing police heavy handed was against peaceful protesters is giving a vicious twist to Ireland’s asylum crisis”.

Poor proof reading by the indo or The Irish Patriot?

Within the centre pages was a free “Ireland is Full” poster and on page 3, was the headline “The truth about gay conversion therapy”.

I wonder if setting fire to gay establishments is next on their agenda. No doubt that woukd be justified by some on here as well.

The Irish Independent estimates around 500 to 700 people attended the anti-immigration protest and there were many families, women and children, as well as groups of men.

Good thing these men didn't have to be vetted, I doubt they'd fair to well if they did.

• Advertisement

As I said earlier, the ethics of terrorism is quite complicated. And as the saying goes, "one man's terrorist..."

However, the great complications are not present here. This is so child-like in its simplicity its hard to credit.

Unprecedented increase in the population has lead to unprecedented capacity crises. Despite the ever growing pains of this reality, the government has pursued with passion the constant arrival of more and yet more people into Ireland. It has, inevitably, lead to increasing violence in retaliation.

How simple is that problem?

It's not about interpretations of religion, nuanced arguments over centuries old borders, it's not about freedom, its not about war.

It's about too many people being continually squashed into too small a space.

Holy Moses on the Mount, its kindergarten stuff!

The idea that anyone could argue that those acting violently against such a stupid, self-inflicted blow are "terrorists" is pretty weak. Not entirely without merit, but quite weak given the circumstances.

People don't grow into hate? Really?

Sounds like a convenient excuse to dodge reality. Even Muhammed Ali would be tired at this rate.

If you want an exercise in creating hatred out of thin air, follow the reasoning of classical conditioning in psychology.

Create capacity crises with unprecedented population increase from abroad, let the effects of those crises fester and torment year after year, hey presto, the coupled psychological effect of hating a situation morphs into hating the visual and aural hatred of its physical manifestation; migrants.

Or, one can daydream along the lines of some imbeciles rap video lyric like "haterz gon hate 4 realz bcuz dey be bornz dat wey".

Yeah, that'll fix things right proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So you don't care for the views of decent ordinary citizens - you may be careful from now on as to where you step. Or you'll be scraping them boots regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

I don't think your post is the gotcha you think it is. It reinforces my view and the view of the majority that the "far right" is a tiny fringe of a couple of hundred people. 66% of the population believe that Ireland has taken in too many refugees but 66% of the population don't share the views espoused in that march, just as the vast vast majority don't agree with burning buildings, tents or abusing refugees. The issue is your trying to lump the majority of the population who has a view different to yours in with a tiny fringe grouping with extreme views.

Nobody is going to care about daily reports, or who said what on a Friday, or that 126 people walked down a path with signs in June.

History is going to treat this as history usually treats events of this nature, a one sentence blurb that's accurate enough.

"Capacity crises created by unprecedented population from abroad, in the vacuum of political choice for years upon years, eventually lead to retaliatory, unsavoury reaction from irish people."

One and done. Simplicity itself. That's what people will remember.

It's so utterly, utterly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Shoog

The people behind these protests have nothing to do with ordinary citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I doubt many of these places will have CCTV, what with everything done here on the cheap and a dose of the usual "shur Twill be grand". Even so, it's easy to spot cameras and faces can always be covered rendering cameras useless.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There have been numerous ordinary citizens present at a range of such protests up and down the country, from Clare to Tipperary to Mayo to Dublin and so on.

You hint at some shadowy figures that are behind these protests, that's state speak - look the bogeyman. Can you not just accept that ordinary citizens affected by the settlement requirements being imposed by the state might just not have a mind of their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Seems like a good idea.

Try a walk, a few deep breaths smell the flowers. When you return in the summer, you will feel much more placid.

5G masts will need a few firelighters by then.

Oh yes they do. They absolutely do.

Just like the poster above who was saying that hateful people are simply born and bred and not created, that's wrong. It's a dodge of reality.

Like the other poster again who's all for arrests and doesn't want to know about reasoning or "why" or history, that's wrong too. Solves nothing, another dodge of reality.

And next in line is the "people protesting are a minority opinion", implying there's nothing to bother anyone's arse with, that's also another slip and roll of reality.

There is a very serious issue at play in this country, and it isn't going to go away by ignoring it. It's going to grow.

And it isn't the manifestations of the problem that is to be "dealt with", such as arson, or marches, or unsavoury opinions. That isn't the problem itself.

The problem is the deepening capacity crises, the continued arrival of yet more people into the country, and the utter dearth of political representation in pushing back against the insanity of that problem.

• Advertisement

I have seen people hounded by these organised racist thugs for calling them out so don't try your bogyman bullshit on me.

The same individuals who tried to launch the Irish yellow jackets off the french movement (and failed) are behind these protests. Scum but dangerous scum.

Hopefully the government will get beyond viewing them as useful idiots and lock a few up for their criminality.

Places being selected for housing ought to secure the property before any such announcement is made.

I wouldn't even disclose them to the police TBH, many of them may be in on the acts of terror

I could list out credentials that would make your bollocks recline into your neck.

But I don't need to. I have my arguments and I make them clear and concise and reasonably followed.

You can do the same too, it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭jackboy

The tiny number of lunatics you are describing turn up at the already established protests and try to elbow their way in. Outside of Dublin at least, the protests are set up and run by concerned locals, who have zero interest in far right politics.

Might be different in Dublin, but thats what's happening down the country.

I thought the far right didn't exist in Ireland? I never tried to lump anyone in with anyone else. The thread is about the arson attacks, I've called them what they are, acts of terrorism. 66% of the population has answer a binary question, that's all the that poll says. You tried to link that answer to the majority of Irish people wanting to Ireland to abandon our convention responsibilities. Other posters have tried to link the answer to there being too many foreigners in the country and we should ban them all, trying to take us on an Irexit route.

History will view the events as terrorism. Its only a matter of time before someone dies unfortunately.

This is far from my experience. Infiltration and propeganda are the stock in trade of these thugs. Social media is their recruiting ground.

It serves those who are sympathetic to the right wing tropes to paint the adjitators as a harmless and disorganised fringe, it helps people distance themselves from the cesspit of associations they are falling into.

Yeah that's the ticket.

Nothing will quell the growing anger like keeping mass migration moves as secret as possible until the night hundreds of randomers arrive into a town.

This is the reality of the situation: irish people, to an ever growing extent, do not want more people arriving into an already crisis level event of capacity.

If you tell them before you move more people in, they're going to retaliate.

If you keep it a secret and "surprise" them at the last second, they're going to retaliate.

That level of retaliation is directly proportional to the prolonged ignorance of what people want. Drag it out longer, the results become ever more violent.

This is not an endorsement of the results of a problem such as arson, it is the explanation of the problem itself and what is needed to address it.

Cause and effect.

Going after the effect, be it "the far right", keeping mass migration moves "secret", trying to pin ludicrous ideas to genuine extant problems, it's all for nothing. It's like having a cup of tea to settle your stomach cancer.

Address the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭jackboy

I don't know how you have so much experience with those far right guys but they are not organising the protests down the country. As I said they turn up after and are ignored once the locals realise who they are.

Who knows, maybe it is those small handful of nutters lighting the fires, but we won't know until arrests are made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

The maximum legally allowed into Croke Park is roughly 83,000 - if say 90,000 were packed in on All Ireland hurling day GAA management would be prosecuted.

An hotel manager/owner with all bedrooms fully booked but who would allow say 50 extra guests stay in his establishment, sleeping in corridors, stores, lobbies etc. he too would be in trouble with the law for breaching health & safety regs. + 1001 other rules & regulations. He is obliged by law to turn away potential customers once his max quota is reached.

We are currently in a position where our government is allowing thousands of illegal migrants into this country without having the accommodation or means to support them, they are just making it up as they go along. Varadkar, as the current manager (God help us) of out ''hotel'' should consider putting 'House Full' sign up at our airports and ports until the housing, health and numerous other issues are sorted out first. No more than Croke Park or any hotel, no country is obliged to take in more migrants that it can house and support. Somebody in authority sooner or later will have to shout STOP enough is enough.

If word goes out that Ireland is full and all illegals are immediately deported the current torrent will gradually become a trickle. It is estimated that,on average, every migrant who arrives in this country encourages 20 to 30 of his/her extended family, friends etc. to join them here in Treasure Ireland as the Nigerians describe us 😉

The government seem to have very recently woken up to the fact that this illegal migration problem is going to be a major election issue - up there with housing and health. Sinn Fein too have seriously 'misread the room' on this issue and may find it hard to back peddle at this late stage.

It is rather interesting to note that they don't seem to have the same issues with illegal migrants up North that we have, although thousands have crossed from UK to Belfast and other airports & ports - they just catch the next available bus or train across to border, head to Dublin....and end up being bused to some remote long closed hotel, country pile or disused convent etc.

This migrant crisis is partly of successive governments making and is not a passing phase, it will be with us for at least another 30 to 50 years. It's time for the government to act now and act swiftly....or a heavy price will be paid.

Advertisement