Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your either been disgenious or you really haven't been paying attention. There are characters in the background who appear at all of these protests pushing in an extremist right wing direction. Many times genuinely concerned locals express horror when they realize they have been infiltrated and used by these thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ireland was always going to be taken by a bigger power during that period. We were never going to be strong enough to defend ourselves. If we didn't have a big power next door that decided to take the country, we could be looking at the Ottoman Empire taking control. Unfortunately you have to look back on that time and as bad as it was you have to ask yourself what is the best case scenario in a handful of really bad scenarios. The Brits taking control and effectively enslaving the country was probably the best outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

No it wasn't. Justifying an atrocity by something that might have happened is pretty inane as far as arguments go.

My ancestors were robbed, starved anf forced abroad by Britain, not the Ottoman's, Eskimo's or little green men from space.

There is no law I'm aware of that justifies robbery or murder on the grounds that some other criminal would have done the same if not beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,976 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The response was to the post "No one out there paying taxes and contributing to society wants their money going towards propping economic migrants and their families indefinitely"

Which was a misleading statement.

The subject does not really matter, what I dislike in this instance is the dsistortion of facts to promote a false idea of a group.

If people want to put their point, fine but it loses all validity when distortion of the truth is relied on to spin the garbage.

As far as the thread goes, I support the law, it really is that simple. Everyone needs to be accountable.

• Advertisement

And dozens of respondents to poll want to let them off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Our governments have been making decisions with regards to housing and infrastructure and lifestlye/demography for years that affect the young and the less affluent and everybody really negatively in a big way. People cant afford kids, people cant afford places to live. In some countries in Europe we have people in full time jobs and they can barely make it. And its not just in some basket case countries, its widespread.

I dont really care whether its incompetence, corruption or market ideology or something, this sh1t is not on. They are supposed to run the place in a way that benefits most and makes for nice healthy countries. (I'm obviously some naive idealist or something)

And while I'd rather not have refugee/asylum policies being the catalyst that brings this to a head - the terrible housing strategy and its effects should be enough - it is compounding this situation and of course people are getting pissed off. The sooner our policy makers get a kick up their holes the better tbh.

But burning stuff down is not the way obviously, it's criminal and it's a form of violence, someone could get hurt.

Anyway, the arson attacks appear to be motivated by the refugee/asylum policies, but I'd rather not see this as either a mitigating or aggravating factor. Arson is a serious crime and it needs to be prosecuted, but just for that IMO.

tl;dr Yes, I would

The KKK were a lot of things but they weren't violent opponents of the free market

This is incredibly bad faith disinformation. You don’t burn down a minorities home and terrorize their family because you believe in the freedom of the market for anyone including a minority to move in next door.

Where do you come up with this stuff, Froopyland?

I'm not.

Racist bigots tend to make loud noises.

Maybe if they were given drums and silly hats, the arsonists would be happy marching around the properties instead of burning them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe set up your own poll so??

The poll question allows for those with reservations/ concerns/ objections to current policies to vote in 2 ways.

And as of this afternoon, those combined two sets of posters with concerns is in a majority.

This may shake your confidence and self certainty but that's the nature of uncomfortable truths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Augme

Sure according to the users of boards.ie the Farmers Alliance and the national party are the best political parties and gript is the best media outlet in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

So October 7th was the start of the current situation in Gaza?

Racists, bigots, silly hats, drums and marching, if you added in an orange sash you could be on to something.

I know full well.

The nationalistic garbage was used to drive the gutter press readers even until recently.

Ireland was invaded by the Vikings was it not?

At least they left the tree's.

The painting of the Irish as a subhuman species is a necessity when you steal and starve them. How do you attach honour to invasion theft and murder when you don't have an "enemy" to protect them against?

If it wasn't for the internal arguments, India would have been a land of subhumans also, poor old Gunga Din would have been a monkey giving the brave Brit's bananas too.

I do not think anyone would have treated Ireland the way Britain did. Regardless. the Law is the Law and cannot be treated like a bag of pick & mix, not even by arsonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Red C polls showed majority in this country think we have taken in too many asylum seekers also, so it is not a minority viewpoint

A step too far, you then go beyond intimidation and head off to amusement.

Migrants seeking medical treatment due to injury caused by fits of explosive laughter would be a drain on the HSE :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

It's an ethically complex question, but the short version of my opinion is that no, arrests will only be looked back upon as ridiculously out of touch.

PLEASE READ THE BELOW, it's startlingly appropriate, and from 2018, no less...

"This analysis of arson details the use of incendiarism as a protest tool in the decades before the Famine. The pre-Famine period witnessed several outbreaks of agrarian unrest. Deliberately setting fire to property and crops was one obvious manifestation of agrarianism, and a particularly effective one given its destructiveness. Yet there is more to arson than its immediate destructive outcomes, this essay points out. It was a means by which to intimidate those who failed to comply with communal demands and bring them back into line. Arson in an Irish context rarely resulted in death and this essay says much about the very nature of crime and violence in nineteenth-century Ireland where violent crimes against property, rather than against the person, accounted for the majority of prosecutions"

The government and its cohorts that back mass migration have created a situation, in full knowledge of outcome, that would result in arson and violence. If you want the guilty charged, its them.

So no arrests should be made, because it is literally terrorism?

Not a sound argument. Madness, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And yet again we see a version of the typical garbage argument being thrown out.

It is most often thrown out by those that will never have undesirables from anywhere, including our own homegrown ones, foisted upon their communities and neighbourhoods.

It is like the old joke about how everyone is in favour of a traveler halting site until it comes to their road or street.

BTW how do you think a small village in the backends of nowhere, with no policing anywhere near or much else in terms of services, would manage if 50 lads with nothing to do from inner city Dublin or from Moyross in Limerick were dumped into their midst.

They wouldn't cope very well, but at least the local gardai (you know the ones 20 odd miles away) could contact Garda HQ and get some idea of the backgrounds of the 50 lads.

But I suppose you will pedal the lies that all those lads with no passports will have their fingerprints checked against criminal databases. 🙄

You can pedal the bolloxology all you want, people aren't buying it any longer.

Only madness if you have the foresight of nanoseconds.

History is going to be acutely unkind to the imbeciles looking to punish people acting out in precisely the manner that the situation demands. It's going to be acutely unkind to everyone backing mass migration in all forms.

The analogy of a food crisis artificially created, with no political representation in the matter for years upon years? Yes, expect violence to eventually manifest itself around a food crisis.

And so forth. What goes around comes around, cause and effect, action and result, etc.

Anyone calling for the likes of arrests is literally wanting to escape the fruits of their ill labours. That's not how life works, worked, or ever will work.

• Advertisement

Where is this foresight to when Ireland becomes a shithole when arson is deemed a cultural norm?

If arson is a metric for "shithole", then the low foreheads who created a situation that would inevitably end in the likes of arson are the cause of the shithole.

Cause and effect, responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone thick enough to be thinking any situation = arson as a solution needs an immediate intervention for everyones sake.

Sounds a lot like victim blaming

Are you one of the arsonists?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

There's no way 64 people on this site voted against arresting arsonists. Multiple fraudulent accounts galore I suspect.

Yes, he's obviously an arsonist and it took a shrewd detective posting from a basement 4,000 miles away to uncover him. Now load up the Scooby van and head off on your next crime solving adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

That's what happens when you stop listening to your doc, or your parents were a little to close in the gene pool

What on earth do you even mean by "victim blaming", has the lexicon of buzz phrases misfired?

No, quelle surprise, I'm not an arsonist.

I am a person that can view a situation in totality, understand why something is happening, and can view the historical precedents that are hysterically accurate in Ireland.

By all means, let the show and dance continue about arresting arsonists. But...

1) it won't stop the arson. It's likely to increase the arson, just as history tells us it is a protest of a politically abandoned people. Like it or lump it. I provided a excerpt of a report above into irish history and arson demonstrating that the same exact reactions occurred against an English rule.

2) history will very quickly whittle away the bull, and it will go something akin to "Ireland experienced mass migration in twinkling of eye, capacity crises ensued, government did nothing for years upon years, it resulted in violence". So arrest away, it won't change the view of the future.

3) arson is the expected, uncivil reaction to an uncivil situation foisted on people in the first place. Government don't give a damn about what people want, for years on years, the people they are elected to represent, and that is simply uncivil in itself. Uncivil action meets uncivil reaction. It's practically the laws of physics.

Do I wish it weren't this way? Yes.

Am I going to pretend to be surprised by the least surprising thing in the world, to feign horror and disgust at the predictable? No.

Again, by all means, perform the show and dance about how uncivil it all is and seek arrests. But see above as to the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

• Advertisement

You lost me: how does arresting arsonists increase arsons?

Advertisement