Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well I can understand the Klu Klux Klan, Heavens Gate and the Brexit bus burners. I don't think cult followers, bigots and racists are the most complex things to wear shoes.

Tribalism was a means of survival when people were struggling to simply live. Complex legal and social debate wasn't really on the cards when someone was after your mate or lunch.

Anyone that cannot understand the driving force behind those that have severe limitations in the thinking department, are showing a lack of awareness in human nature. Like afflictions involving backs that don't work frightfully well in a vertical mode racism is part of the baggage that should have been left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

That didn't take long, if you question immigration you support ISIS.......

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

People have said that there may be a homeless person in the building being burnt down.

Don't forget, every fire the firefighters go to is a potential danger to them. Every time a fire is started it means that another fire or traffic accident, somewhere else, may take longer to get to and endanger lives.

There's definitely a slippery slope here, but if you are justifying burning down buildings you have probably already lost your footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed

The poll question was entirely different from the interpretation of the poll question.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Augme

Directly quote where I said that. I'm simply quoting you and what you have said regarding terrorism.

every case of terrorism taking hold worldwide, it always began with the genuine and legitimate concerns of people being ignored and trampled on

Now you either think ISIS aren't involved in terrorism or they have genuine and legislation concerns that are being ignored and trampled on. Your words, not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It certainly is anti capitalist, whatever they think is immaterial, as actions it is anti capitalist, it's a direct attack on the free market in a way not seen in this state since the strikes of the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness the op doesn't believe in satellites or that we landed on the moon. So wouldn't expect a well thought out poll. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Shoog

So what are the causes, to many refugees per chance ?

There are indeed complex causes and the refugee issue is a very minor one compared to the crisis of mismanagement which led to a situation where many Irish see the only option as leaving the country to achieve a decent life.

The type of thugs doing the arson don't deal in complex cause, they are opportunistic hate mongers and should be condemned as such.

Closing the door to refugees would have zero impact on the average Irish citizens living standard.

British rule was democratic?

The famines were an expression for the right to diet by proxy too no doubt?

I think you are a truly sick individual if you try to associate the criminal burning down of property that is to be used to home people looking for a freedom from threat, tyranny and injustice, with a fight to break free from a tyrant that practiced genocide, murder and forced expulsion of the native people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

1916 was a disaster. It was the executions that led us to our Republic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good poll. Exposes the far right on here. Virtually nobody out there who is paying taxes and contributing to society, wants their money going towards fixing up the damage caused by these scumbags. Yet a large portion of this forum wants no arrests and for the arson to continue. Great poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nobody is saying protesting should stop. There is plenty of scope for protesters. I proudly took part in the protests against the Irish Water superquango and the corruption/waste associated with it. I am fully convinced FG would have nationalised Irish Water and our precious resource if we hadn't taken a stand. That gobshite Hogan promised us penalties and reducing water to a trickle etc etc. But we won.

The immigration protesters aren't even trying yet. Where is the organised mass agitation? The numbers at their national protests in Dublin and Cork are miniscule. The Ross House Hotel blockade in Galway lasted a full day before the amoebas burned the hotel down. They looked so so foolish, lazy and cowardly and completely lost the argument. Don't let the brainless own the protest...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah no that won't happen as it is a chance to have pop at protestors, the far right, ordinary people, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Arson is an in and out job, and it's a crime no question. Easier for the perpetrators to do that than chain/superglue themselves to the doors and windows etc. in protest. They might get hungry and cold. Or arrested. Hence the anonymity of a quick arson attack.

I do not agree with the method of resistance, and suspect certain forces are behind it. But it cannot be denied that many are not too bothered despite the odd "tut tut it's terrible" response. Maybe if the surface was scratched a heck of a lot of people would say, "I don't really care, because they (government) don't care about me and my views either".

The frustration is out there big time, but the nature of the methods of the perpetrators is worrying. Are they for hire or doing it off their own bat? I dunno.

The arsonists are not ordinary people - they are right wing thugs looking for an opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭lmao10

The people who support the burning of buildings and no arrests are scum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

No one out there paying taxes and contributing to society wants their money going towards propping economic migrants and their families indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Danyellow

Ya like during the BLM riots for example, there was 2 Billion worth of damage done. Our small businesses here are on the brink as it is and I fear these protests and arsonists will escalate to such levels.

The government needs to throw the book at these arsonists as we can not afford escalation.

Are you suggesting that SF will resort to the old punishment beatings, kangaroo courts and execution of anyone that insults them in hay sheds once they get into power?

One could say SF have a lit of members sympathetic to killing Gardai.

Oh and that is provable unlike your assertion.

SF are not the shoo in you think, they are losing a lot of votes due to being very much pro dumping half the world into communities around the country.

"Brits out, everyone else in" as they say.

No they simply will not hold back the wheels of justic as the current crowd have. In almost all undercover operations it's ultimately a political decision when the trigger is pulled on arrests.

As I have said before the garda have a very good idea who is behind the arsons, and the current incumbents have seen it as politically expedient to not have them arrested. It's ran away from them and they are starting to panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

What our elected representatives say publicly but think privately are usually two different things.

They have neither the will power, vision nor pragmatism to accommodate those who cannot house themselves.

And I’d wager that some of them are only too happy for the message to spread beyond Ireland that the country is “full”.

No, it was the final straw.

While not an expert in the history of my country, anyone dipping into the subject with a basic awareness of right and wrong would know that British rule in Ireland was simply subjugation and theft over many generations.

Even today listening to Britain justify the bombing of people from the moral high ground is to be reminded of the theft, enslavery and even drug dependancy that was used on the peoples it went to "help".

Funny really, until I marched against the oil theft in Iraq, I never really thought about these things much.

Anyone wanting a candid view might like to try the Liverpool Maritime museum.

At least British rule has taught a few home bred thugs how effective burning buildings can be at asserting One's aspirations to be an inhuman bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Sinn Fein are anti-law and order and directly profit from criminal proceeds, also the Gardai are using the old "we know who did it may as well come forward" tactic teachers used to do in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’d hope any decent law-abiding citizen would want this anarchy behavior firmly tackled, and the arsonists hit with the full extent of the law.

who the fook is in charge of law and order in this country? Protesters or democratically elected officials?

No one is doing that though.

Explain which migrants have a meal ticket foir life.

The problem with the internet is that there is a willing and ready load of people who's desire for support for their ideas removes all need for truth or balance as long as the message sounds in keeping with their desires.

I am only too happy to have my taxes go to those in need in the country, the tax I consider most unjust is the licence fee for a TV that I never, ever watch RTE on.

I would be thrilled to give that 160 euro to someone fleeing injustice instead.

How much as a percentage of the tax take goes on asylum seekers or refugees?

I would guess it's miniscule.

Wouldn't economic migrants need a PPS number?

As a migrant myself, and I suppose it's possible to factor economics in somewhere, although it is probably negative in my case, I do know that a stumbling block is a PPS number. I needed an address and if I recall at the time, a job.

So just explain, If I turn up in Dublin Port, hoping to find work, or just sign on for a room and money, how does the system work? Is there a form on a government website or do the guards fast track my to a taxpayer funded life of luxury there and then?

How do you know?

How do you know that all the arson attacks are carried out by right wing thugs and that some are not a local lad or lads who decide fook this we are not going to be another Roscrea or Ballaghdereen, protests don't work, but burning puts an end to it?

There is a huge level of discontent and disconnection between political parties, media, what passes for intellectual thought, big business and ordinary people.

And it aint just in Ireland, but across the Western world.

I am sick and tired of hearing this shyte coming out of mainstream political parties, media hacks, university lecturers, NGO teat sucklers about the far right this, the far right that.

As if they have not created the environment and continue to create the opening for the far right.

Neglect your own population, treat them with contempt for so long and you will find your answer.

Where was the right wing in Germany 15/20 years ago?

Where was the right wing in Netherlands 10 years ago?

Where was the right wing in Sweden 10 years ago?

They were nowhere because mainstream parties appeared to be at least giving a cr** about their own citizens.

Hell even in France where there is longer history of major right wing party just look how a multi decade dominated communist area has turned to the far right.

That is some switch, but then again the area is Calais.

In case any of you urbanite cosmopolitan MNC employed types missed it, there is growing mass protest of farmers across Europe and it is going to get worse because likewise farmers have had enough.

Take a look at challenge to minister of agriculture who hid in hotel rather than face protestors.

People have had enough and are fighting back.

And yes some will see burning places down as fighting back.

There is threat of 50 lads from god knows where being dumped into your neighbourhood, with nothing for them to do but roam the streets and roads, then someone will see burning the place down as the ultimate way to put a stop to it.

And yes most of those lads could be grand, but all it takes is the one or two like case in Wicklow where town and even villages 10 odd miles away have had individual wandering around stalking women and waving a knife around.

And that is not anecdote, or some whatsapp story, it is a fact.

Who wants that for their neighbourhood.

If the mainstream parties continue on the course they have set it is going to get worse.

The problem with the internet is that there is a willing and ready load of people who's desire for support for their ideas removes all need for truth or balance as long as the message sounds in keeping with their desires.

Do you not feel even a twinge of irony of this statement.

Irony?

It's in full view in every country I have seen cultish activity in.

In the UK they are rising up against asylum seekers, yet most have never met one. The root cause of the number in the UK being housed in hotels is an inept government that has a documented history of inability to process asylum seekers and also remove those deemed invalid claimants.

That is from the independent press.

Likewise the MAGA crowd in the US don't do facts, just what they select and retransmit from their chosen information pedlars who find that fiction is a perfect attractnt for the thinking challenged.

Fox News being a pretty well known example.

Anyway it diverts from the main theme of the topic which was the desire to have lawbreakers criminal activities being subject to accountability.

Migrants, burning buildings, the detail isn't important. What is important is respect for the law and if it's seen to be lacking in any way, the willingness to change the system democratically.

The thugs using violence to express a desire to change things are making me ashamed to see the reports in the UK Guardian and the ecstatic gutter press there.

They are a nasty stain on the nation.

• Advertisement

If I go to Dublin or Limerick, I will be surrounded by hundreds of lads from god knows where. Some might be drug dealers or arsonists even, targeting my house on the strength of rumours.

Should I nip into Lidl and get some fire-lighters to burn out the houses in those two cities on the grounds some might be "wrong un's"

The law applies to everyone, maybe if arsonists didn't take up Garda time, they could get on with bog standard policing.

Advertisement