Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish voters 'hostile' to poppy symbol

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭scottser

I take it you won't be celebrating Burns Night tonight then?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I celebrate nothing.

There is no point, a day happens, then 24 hours later another one comes along.

Many, many years ago I used to attend these quaint little do's for the drinking. I found it was not only easier to drink without attending these various functions, but I could drink a hell of a lot more and of a flavour and dizziness factor I could control selecting my own venues.

The last "do" I went to was in Camp, Kerry, just down the road. I came from England to be awarded a football medal. I hate the stupid game and even then was over sixteen stone, but it's a different story.

That was the last celebration here and probably England too.

I probably would attend anything concerned with my countries freedom. Although I'm against war, there is a point where people have to stand up against an aggressor or be wiped out.

Having said that if the IRA had a poppy day of their own, I still wouldn't buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

My grandfather had 4 uncles who died in WW1 and noone ever wore a poppy or attended any commemorations either. Their names are on a monument in a Protestant town and it is only unionists who attend those commemorations. The men were Catholics so I assume they were only in the army because of financial reasons and not because they were unionists. Remember that back then there wouldn't have been a stigma against jointing the British army unlike in post troubles Ulster.

Regarding the red hand, I wouldn't look on it favourably as you just think of loyalist flags or Tyrone GAA when you look at it. Both are things that I would rather not think about. Loyalists hijacked that symbol and it could never be seen as Irish again in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just like they hijacked the word ULSTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Easter eggs on the shelves in January 😃

What with all the Christmas stuff on sale last September!

I'll gladly contribute to a Poppy thread in November, but this I so far off the mark ...

• Advertisement

I don't understand? Why off the mark?

Easter eggs off the mark?

Yes! they are but why mention it, I don't think the thread will start to veer to milk/ dark etc.

Or is it poppies?

The thread is about poppies, but it relates to them as a symbol. They are sold in November, but the idea, the philosophy, the motivations are not time limited.

You can substitute any symbol for a poppy and still be pretty much adhering to the run of things.

I do think that they are an interesting topic for discussion as British nationalism has had major very controversial effects in recent years and some will see the poppies interlinked with their other nationalistic baubles and ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

... my point being that this thread is out of season, like opening a harvest thread in February or a Christmas thread in July 🎄

Nothing wrong with it, but don't expect it to hit the mark with too many respondents, as it's the wrong time of the year.

The red hand flag was the flag of the Ulster kings, famously the O'Neills from the 14thc, long before the plantations. It was used to rally the Gaelic tribes against the crown during the Nine Years War. Don't let the Billys have it - claim it back. It's ours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You know, when someone mentioned it earlier in the thread with the fact that both communities respect it, I thought they were taking the mick but it's true. It's even in my favourite game:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The red hand appears on multiple family crests all over the island. You'll find far more claiming it as their own than dismissing it.

• Advertisement

Well just how many respondents do you think will even be aware of the poppy sales dates?

My Spar or Supervalue have never to my knowledge ever sold poppies so how can Novemver be the right time for the thread?

If you look at things from my perspective, the English or Irish citizens perspective, it matters not which one, I consider it a basic human right be able to choose of my own free will not to buy a poppy.

Now if November arrives and I end up in Spar or Supervalue wanting to choose not to buy one, that choice will not be mine to make if they don't sell the things will it?

Now I can get Kerry council or my TD involved, but I guess it will be too late for my chance to buy, or not by the time they are in stock in all the shops in Tralee.

So I would disagree, I think now is an ideal time to have the thread. People need to express their opinions on this topic now in plenty of time before the infringement of their rights on the matter stirs up very serious apathy.

Advertisement