Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

12 ECM rolling out.

Massive 'mild' sector on Tuesday afternoon.

Orientation of the cold flow is more NW'ly than Northerly on Thursday:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone saying it's snowing 'here' should be banned for the duration 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No need to,probably was North tipp,Wasn't South anyway. Tipp is a long county

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must say I'd be more in line with Met É at the moment. If history teaches us anything its that the modification experienced on our island is usually underestimated.

I expect it to be raw, but with only mountain snows and a cold drizzle below 300m when there is precip present.

Overall I hope it will be bright with some sparkling low sunshine, and that the air will be dry and the land will continue to dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

JMA bitterly cold by midweek with northeasterly winds and plenty of disturbances in that airmass. That milder sector in the second half of Tuesday also showing up.

I'll await the ECMWF ensembles before commenting on the 12z. I suspect it will produce a cold mean.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Woohoo!! the forgotten county won’t be left behind this time, 🥳🥳 I can’t hide my excitement ❄️❄️❄️☃️.

Hoping a bit of ninja snow spreads further south for more of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Snowing ,without pics to prove it should be a life ban..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

I wouldn't get over excited by this one. I'm not saying there won't be snow from this, for some favoured spots, and it will be cold for a couple of days, but if we're looking for holy grail cold and snow, which most of us are, we ain't getting it next week. We're gleefully licking up crumbs when it's the full apple pie we want. Onward to February, I'll leave on on optimistic note, some long rangers are saying we're going see a very cold month there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Like a life ban just on boards or everything? I'd go with the second one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

I just dont see a zonal onslaught ensuing next weekend into early next, just an anemic attempt to try brush aside the colder air.

Infact if all the background noise is even 60% correct and with an entrenched cold pool in Scandinavia, an Iceland/Scandinavian anticyclone would be more my thinking to develop around last days of January into February.

I am expecting great weather model watching from mid next week...in my opinion.

( if you take anyones advice on a boards forum and not from Met Eireann you are off your tiny minds!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I followed that thread minute by minute when I was 13 those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cold weather advisory set to expire tomorrow I'm sure they will give an extension to it till Tuesday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

For sure and that's the reason I never take any snow forecast >24 hours seriously (unless it's frontal). From experience, all other falls here have been either not forecast at all or only spotted a few hours out. I suppose it's because most significant falls are from troughs, streamers or polar lows.

So if I do see snow forecast more than a day ahead, I expect it to be either dry or raining, as that's what's occurred 9 times out 10 here previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

I am in South Tipp, Fethard, and we got the snow then.

Clare (410ft asl)

ECMWF ensembles overall not as cold as the 00z but colder than yesterday's 12z. The 850 mean for Monday evening is minus 8.8c which is no 'mean' feat. That mild sector on Tuesday evening and night is a 'right pain'. There is a lot of spread in the ensembles (about 13c) from Tuesday evening so it could be said that this period and beyond then is somewhat FI territory.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Suppose I would be more southwest,anyway this has gone totally off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah that mild sector is a pain because there will be plenty of precipitation with it but likely to be rain or mixed wintry precipitation at best on lower levels. Watch the precipitation reduce overall as soon as it buggers off.

Clare (410ft asl)

The only way we avoid is through a westward shift of the heights to enable a broader southward push of that northerly airflow later on Sunday. A northward shove of the Azores low would have the same effect. The small margins as always for our little island. There's time yet perhaps but it looks pretty nailed on across the suite of models. The 18z ICON shows an organised band of rain, sleet and snow pushing from the NW at the same time as that 12 hour mild sector. It would be largely snow otherwise.

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I climbed Galtymore in 2010 and I was knee deep in snow. I know that was above 600m but just saying. It was epic.

Croagh Patrick could be very snowy/icy next weekend.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I remember the weather front from the Atlantic came in on the Sunday ending that spell. It had started to get less cold on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Helloooo!

Ah good old Ian. Just a shame he wasn't a fan of Snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

About 2 or 3 days ago someone said it perfectly on the +120 hours thread. We will probably just end up with some blurry mobile phone image of a hill in Donegal with some wet snow on the very top of the rocks, that's about as good as it's going to get for us here in Ireland.

A half arsed easterly half way through March would be better or even just a default spell of cold zonal would produce more. Northerlies are just rubbish unless you get the once in a life time proper feed of unstable northerlies with polar lows and multiple troughs, we haven't seen one in 13 years in the west and over 30 years in eastern Ireland. Last time I had a polar low with snow from the north was in 1991.

This is just another lame duck like the early December spell, I had to spell it out. Time to move on and spin the coin one last time for February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Was there not a polar low that brought snow to the east in maybe Dec 2000? One of my earlier snow memories…

Clare (410ft asl)

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Those were the days! I remember watching it live after school half way through 1st year. I was initially dissapointed that we only had the one snow flake symbol instead of the 2 flake symbol but what we got in the end was the rarely used 3 snow flake symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

"Not perhaps just as cold as it has just been, but cold enough in our conscience but these are the maximum temperatures, typically -3 Celsius or 27 Fahrenheit"

When winters were winters!

Advertisement