Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very cold overnight and early Monday morning with the danger of icy patches. Some freezing fog patches locally also.
    • A few sleet or snow showers in places.

• Impacts
    • Difficult travelling conditions.
    • Animal welfare issues.
    • Valid: 19:00 Sunday 14/01/2024 to 11:00 Monday 15/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:44 Sunday 14/01/2024

Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Munster, Galway, Roscommon

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very cold overnight and early Monday morning with the danger of icy patches. Some freezing fog patches locally also.

• Impacts
    • Difficult travelling conditions.
    • Animal welfare issues.
    • Valid: 19:00 Sunday 14/01/2024 to 11:00 Monday 15/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:53 Sunday 14/01/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

M

o

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

I was joking. My garden is like a mire. Little appreciable drying of the sod where I am.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Little bit of hail here, near Letterkenny, lasted all of a minute or so, back to rain again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Clare (410ft asl)

Any precip will turn increasingly to snow in Letterkenny as the day goes on

You may get a light dusting by the morning by the look of some of those streamers.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's disheartening how the showers dissipate as they move further inland, but it's par for the course unless we have a really unstable flow. I hope you see some snow down there later on in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Status Yellow - Snow-Ice warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered wintry showers will give way to more widespread sleet or snow for a time overnight with the potential for small accumulations.

Valid: 18:00 Monday 15/01/2024 to 11:00 Tuesday 16/01/2024

Clare (410ft asl)

Higher ground will probably see a dusting further south as this cold front moves south later Tuesday. Impossible to say how organised or intense any precip will be. 850s during that mild sector will be negated be somewhat depending on the time of day it passes over, evaporative cooling and favourable lapse rates. Dew points may just be good enough for the Midlands for example

You would be looking to see if any troughs pop up on the northerly from Wednesday

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Yes, that's what I am hoping for on Wednesday, the thickness should be favourable for that then. I will be pleasantly surprised if any place lower down gets snow on Tuesday, well maybe at the back end of it

Antrim, Derry, Tyrone and North Fermanagh area snow warning Wednesday/thursday.

2-5 cm of snow is expected in many places. Where showers become more organised, there is a chance some low-lying areas could see 10 cm in a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally some sun today after the relentless cloud of the past week. Still waiting on the first frost of this cold spell if we get one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Have to say while I would love some snow for Dublin, have really liked the cold dry weather of the past week. If its not going to snow I will take dry weather any day, anything but mild muck rain and I am happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonzo we had heavy frost in Dublin last weekend, did you not get that? I was due to play golf but the courses were closed for the day with heavy frost and frozen greens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We had pretty severe frost in Galway last week fields were like a small dusting of snow car locks frozen estate was like a skating rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Aragh stop. You need to get up earlier if you are not seeing frost. You're the warmest in a cold spell and the coldest throughout the summer!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The very best of luck to ye up north! I'd love to see some snow photos now.

Try and squeeze a few showers down to Galway!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its the best weather for walking.

We had 3 nights with no frost, actually some rain the last 2 nights.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Milder here in Dublin today, and much brighter and less dank.

More of this drying Arctic flow please, the best winter weather by far.

Can't see the wintryness in the early part of the week affecting much more than the hills of Ulster above about 250m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 royalblue61

Gonzo, will this do you for frost?

12.30pm last Sunday at Carton House

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Gorgeous day in Arklow

Started the morning with a strong frost here,the 3rd or 4th of the new year I think

I'd say it's frosty outside that BA plane above me heading to Portland USA

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Current snow cover chart from the latest ICON. Again, only indicative of where snow may fall. Snow is notoriously difficult to pinpoint, especially in an unstable airflow, like that of Wednesday (below) with those little kinks in the isobars suggesting disturbances.

We will certainly see upgrades closer to the time imo

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Met office regional forecast for the North - small to locally moderate accumulations from tonight until Monday. Tuesday sleet/snow to rain event. Wednesday, Thursday back to snow showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Wednesday looks like it could be a fun event!

Typically, I have an early flight to catch in Dublin Thurs morning. Was planning on travelling from Donegal through the night but might have to come up with a different plan if this comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No snow event for the capital, meh, lets get it over with, this cold breezy crap is worse than the usual.

i'd rather a gale outside with pouring rain and a blazing stove inside than windy dull dry and cold like now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I got out for 9 today, place was in good nick, drying has helped lately. Cold off the first tee but soon warmed up. Probably 4 - 5 degrees but felt warmer when sun came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maybe in your part of it, none here in the Dun Laoghaire borough area.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,265 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Quite cold in Cork now compared to earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yes Cork today was very mild and dry. No real cold vs recent times.

However RTE NEWS Weather just showed the snow line below the south coast so whole country above it. Any precipitation will fall as snow.

I remember a couple of years we had a nice covering built up from the previous night,then along came the mild sector the next evening and several hours of heavy rain ensued to wash it all away. The snow came back the next day to give another dusting. What might have been but for that mild sector. It is really annoying in a cold spell that we have to deal with them.

• Advertisement

Showers turning increasingly to snow

Advertisement