Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2024

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Medvedev looking very tired now and has spent much longer on court overall, might be the deciding factor in this final set.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Danger here for Medvedev

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been dipping in and out of this match all morning, and all I've seen is 10+ shot rallies - how in the name of God are the two of them still standing, never mind running, in a 5th set?

I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

And Medvedev looks like he's fit to drop (mind you he kind of always looks like that, but even more so right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

Some rally

Can't see Medvedev having the heart or the energy or the legs to hold here......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Game,set, match sinner and what a winner to become champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some win by Sinner. Have to feel for Med though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would have been happy with either player winning but really feel for Medvedev having lost like that. 6 slam finals and only one title now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Poor Medvedev. Over 24 hours on court caught up with him. 1 point in the difference over 5 sets. DM now the first player to lose 2 GS finals from 2 sets up.

Thrilled for Sinner after putting out ND. It would have been terrible to lose after that.

Very magnanimous speech from Medvedev - fair dues to him. That can't have been easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Great match, really wanted Medvedev to win because he's had so many losses before .Must be sickening for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Delighted to see Sinner win. Along with Alcaraz, the future of tennis might have some hope. For a while it looked like Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas etc might dominate. Absolute lanky carthorses, no pleasure from watching any of them play.

Hopefully a few more youngsters with genuine talent will break through. I still believe Shapovalov will put his whole game together under the right coach at some point, and when he does, is a different level to much of what we've seen before in tennis history. An absolute tour de force when he clicks

As laughable as it seems now, it will happen. Has potentially one of the biggest games I've ever seen from a player. He needs to put it all together. His groundstrokes are unplayable when he's on it, but going backwards. He will put it together though, mark my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

My god man, give it a rest on Shapovalov 😅 He has flattered to deceive for years now! I agree with you that he is very talented but just doesn't have the consistency, nor do I believe the "x factor" to seperate him from the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd agree with the first part regarding the next gen guys; Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev etc, have now been conclusively proven to be a very poor generation of players, they were unable to seriously challenge the big 3, struggling to even reach slam finals ( Medvedev apart) and have now been overtaken by the following generation in Alcaraz and Sinner. Alcaraz and Sinner between them now have more slams than all the guys who came after the big 3 generation, that's a very telling statistic, plus it wasn't always one of the big 3 that knocked them out of slams, often it was journeymen.

Regarding Shapovalov, he's not going to become the player you think he will, he's around long enough and has had plenty of time to sort himself out, while he's a talented guy, a top 10 player, maybe top 5 at a push, but, he'll never be the dominant player that you describe, he's just far too inconsistent.

I'll stop going on about it, people probably sick of me saying it ha. I do believe under the right coaching he can still turn it around, and might do. I'd disagree with you completely when you say he doesn't have the "X factor" though, in patches he's showed a massive game and huge groundstrokes. But I'll park him there

Medvedev simply isn't good enough. He's half a level below the top guys, and when they raise it he's just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

He's still one of only 6 players who have beaten Djokovic in a GS final.

Law of averages tbh, we've seen his form before or since. When a top player is on it, they beat him when it matters every time.

I'd put him in the same bracket as Del Potro. Capable of beating the top guys but half a level below them. He's half a level ahead of the chasing pack like Zverev etc to be fair. Just drops short.

You can't be 6'6 and be the best player. By it's very nature you lack technical skill and movement a guy that is 6'2 possesses. There's an ideal height between 6'0-6'3 that you need to be to have that all round game tbh.

The last player above or below that height to really excell was Hewitt, but he had exceptional ball placement and technical skill, that none of these guys have

Advertisement