Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's well into night time over there, can't be that hot.

Wang looks like she's getting annoyed by all the dramatics, hopefully she can channel that in a positive way and not let it distract her.

She still has a break in this set, just needs to hang grimly on!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah yeah temp more relevant for the Draper match I think it was 30c+. I think Wang will see it out now.

Delighted for Wang! Not impressed that ES didn't show the interview with her (I hate all those stupid interviews, but that's one I was actually looking forward to).

Back to Rybakina now, who's not having it all her own way at all 😳

Rybakina match is tight alright!

After all the hype about the British players before the tournament...a grand total of one (in singles) has made the third round.

The pair of them are all over the shop!

I'm not surprised at Blinkova, this would be a huge scalp for her - but I thought Rybakina was made of pure steel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

At work so only watching live scores, but hoping Rybakina can survive here. Would be some recovery!

Uh oh......

20 minutes and counting for the tie break.

I've seen sets won quicker than that!

At this stage I'd say matches have been won quicker than this tie break!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jaysus, 3.30 in the morning in Melbourne and Medvedev is still out there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Medvedev shown up again as the absolute donkey he is, like Zverev. These tall players can get nearly the top of the game by size alone, but are limited. For a time a few years ago, it seemed like this new generation would be dominated by 6'5 donkeys. Thankfully the likes of Alcaraz and a few others have come through.

Nothing worse than watching a game played out by two limited players over circa 6'4, only there as they bullied their way up the rankings on serve and size. Granted Medvedev and Zverev would have a bit more about them than the likes of your Isners of this world, but still limited, as we've repeatedly seen since

A qualifier giving Haddad Maia a big fright .... she came out like a rabbit in headlights for the first 3 games, but has her tail properly up now after winning the first set on a tie break, and a break up in the second.

Be very interesting to see if she can hold her nerve!

And she did.

I think the commentators said the winnings for this match alone are more than her career winnings so far!

It took 5 match points, but fair dues to her, she hung in.

A right little pocket rocket (she came up to about Haddad Maia's elbow).

Norrie v Ruud is a decent contest...Norrie two sets to one up! He has had to save a lot of break points!

Norrie through in 4 sets, he is limited but makes things tough and really battled in that one fair play.

Norrie actually played pretty well there 😒

Very much so, really fought and saved a lot of break points, he has plenty of heart and doesn't tend to roll over, he came into this tournament with a bit of a wrist problem as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Advertisement

Yikes just seeing Swiatek knocked out by Noskova!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surprised but not shocked about Swiatek losing, hasn't looked too sharp here in Melbourne and should've lost to Collins. The wheels have come off somewhat, she's lost to Svitolina, Ostapenko and Noskova at the last three grand slams. No shame in losing to any of them, but all players you'd have expected her to beat. She'll surely get the better of Ostapenko some day though.

Hoping for any one of Noskova, Zheng or Svitolina to make the final from the top half.

Sabalenka should be the favourite to win it, but she's got Anisimova (1-4 h2h) and potentially Gauff to navigate before the final, so she'll have her work cut out for her.

Djokovic looking ominously good now (cobwebs from first two matches well and truly gone), can anyone bar maybe Alcaraz or maybe Sinner give him a real challenge?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mens QF line up going pretty much according to script with the top 6 seeds all there and Hurkacz (9) and Fritz (12) taking the other spots. .

Was just looking at the ATP rankings there, does Alcaraz go back to no.1 if he can beat Djokovic in the final? Looks like it to me.

Probably won't happen anyway 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes he will and Alcaraz only has to get further than Djokovic to get No. 1. So if Djokovic goes out at the quarters and Alcaraz wins his, he's No. 1

Just caught up on the Alcaraz match this evening - my God, but he's just a joy to watch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Some great hitting from both Alcaraz and Kecmanovic in that match.

9pm in Melbourne, two more matches and potentially 8 sets of tennis to get through. What are they at.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Sabalenka blitz's Krejcikova quickly, but have a feeling Rublev could drag his match to five sets.

Advertisement