Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2024

Options
  • 11-01-2024 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭

The draw has been made, hope it's ok to create a thread?

https://ausopen.com/draws

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic likely won't have potential problems until the SF's. Murray could give him a bit of match in the third round, although obviously not enough to win. Sinner will probably be happy with his draw too, although Tiafoe and Khachanov could be tricky in the fourth round. De Minaur has started the year well too so might be a tricky QF opponent. Medvedev has a handy draw too until a potential QF with Rune.

Alcaraz seems to be flying under the radar coming into Melbourne, didn't play a warm up and the hype has calmed down somewhat after his relatively poor (by his standards) post Wimbledon performance. If there's no injuries then he must be favoured to reach at least the SF's. I'd love to see him win it, but need to see where his level is at first. I'll also be rooting for James McCabe, the half-Irish Australian wildcard. It's as close as we can get to an Irish player in the main draw these days. 

Meanwhile, I wonder if there are odds being offered on all four top seeds making the SF's in both sides of the draw? I reckon there's a decent enough chance of it happening this year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If Rybakina gets past her tricky opener against Pliskova then I think she's got a pretty easy ride until the SF's. Swiatek on paper doesn't have a bad draw, but a lot of potential banana skins too. Kenin has largely been in the wilderness since 2020 but there are occasional signs of her old form, as Gauff found out last Summer. Kerber wouldn't exactly be an easy second round opponent either, while Svitolina could cause her problems in the 4th round as Iga will remember from Wimbledon. Swiatek would no doubt be dreading a potential QF against nemesis Ostapenko, who she's 0-4 (!) against.

Sabalenka has a very favourable draw until a potentially tricky but winnable QF against either Jabeur or Krejcikova, whilst Gauff will also be pleased with her draw. I'd be keeping an eye on a potentially resurgent Naomi Osaka though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Another major with an embarrassingly poor dept in the field. Few problems for Djokovic it seems, as the only youngster who looks half decent in Alcaraz, is poor on this surface, and it's Djokovic's strongest.

Alot of talk about Sinner, but I'd expect him to be straight setted by Djokovic. He's improved and gone up a level, but a slam match against Djokovic is different. For me the problem with this younger generation, isn't the talent per say, but their mental strength and just how poor it is.

How many times have many of these young guys have the old guard beat, and on the ropes, only to completely capitulate, again and again? Brutal, the lot of them bar Alcaraz.

And the annoying thing is, when they collapse, it's not as if Djokovic or Nadal starts to play better and apply pressure, it's generally completely self inflicted bottling. You can see the panic in their posture, face and presence when they see the winning line.

And for all this talk of Sinner, he's done as much collapsing, if not more, than the rest of them. So it's not so much a question of whether he's good enough, it's a question of him having the balls to stand up to the pressure of the moment.

You need the mentality of a Nadal, Hewitt or Djokovic, to rock onto the scene, and fully believe you'll batter any champion in your way. I'd very much have my doubts on Sinner, but hope I'm wrong for the sake of the game in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

For me, the biggest disappointment has been Shapovalov. Of all the youngsters, thought he had by far the most potential and biggest game. Thought his groundstrokes were powerful and could bully anyone, and he did at times.

But for whatever reason, he's going backwards the last couple of years, and doesn't seem to be improving either. Dunno is it the wrong coaching or his heart isn't in it, but under the right guidance is potentially an incredible player, as good as anything I've ever seen in patches. He's not even seen as a contender anymore. Needs to sort his sh1t out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It looks like Eurosport have finally dumped Alize Lim. Thank fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Got a ticket for the Wednesday night session at Laver, first time going to a slam as well, hopefully the scheduling gods are kind. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

As long as Djokovic is still around, he'll be favourite to win it, would love to see someone else to win it. The men's game needs someone other than Djokovic to win it, with the exception of Alcaraz the younger lads are all mentally beat before they even set foot on the court against Djokovic in the slams. The women's tournament in contrast is much more open and competitive, there are a few possible winners and always the potential of a total outsider going close.

I still have no idea why Andy Murray is out there. Should have called time after last season at a minimum, probably earlier. I presume he's aiming for a Wimbledon farewell in July and will call it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah that was pretty painful. He has at least been somewhat competitive up until now, but yeah think it is time to retire as you say he will likely hang on for one last Wimbledon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Raonic and Cilic back. Not good for Cilic, but Raonic is a set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's going to be an emotional year with Nadal saying goodbye to Roland Garros and Murray Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Great match now between Thiem and Auger-Aliassime. Some battling by Thiem.

As for Murray I don't why he doesn't just play the doubles. Clearly he is not up to the pace of singles.

This could be the year we say goodbye to Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka and Raonic.

Also why do the Australian Open schedule the women's matches after the men's? Surely it would make sense to put the women on first as their match is going to be shorter that the men's

Took a lot of effort for Draper to get past Giron really upped things when under the cosh...throwing up at the end not usually a good sign!

Raducanu playing well here against Rogers. Serving for the match now 5- 2 up in the second, she took the first 6-3. Be interesting to see how Raducanu does if she can stay injury free.

Nice go see her back playing and looking fit. Her next round match looks winnable on paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tsitsipas having it put up to him by some Aussie I've never heard of.

Entertaining match.

Hmmm.... he's running out of steam fast, Tsitsipas nicked the second set tie break and it seems to have been a turning point. Starting to run away with it now.

Maybe the 4th set will rejuvenate Thompson......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Popyrin has taken the 2nd set against Djokovic. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

7th deuce at 6-5 Thompson in 3rd set.... Thompson hanging on like a good-un

And it goes to a tie break!

Hope she can go on a run? If she beats the Chinese girl in her next round she has potential match up with Katie Boulter so a good chance to go to the 4th round which would be a great run for her.

• Advertisement

Is there a suspicion Dokovic is injured or something?

He's hitting forehands like it's a warm up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Once Popyrin blew those set points in the 3rd I'd have put my house on Djokovic winning in 4.

Fabulous point to take Sonego to 3-2 in the 4th set v Alcaraz - and really lovely to see Alcaraz leg it up to the net to high-5 him for it!

And similar acknowledgement from Sonego for a brilliant Alcaraz shot from practically in the stands.

This is quite the match!

I'm really hoping it goes to a 5th, even though I really want to see Raducanu as well.....

I'd stick with that one.

Raducanu already down a break in first set.

Draper and Boulter out, Norrie battled through in 5 - Ruud next.

Oh dear..... I really wish it had gone to a 5th, it's most entertaining tennis I've seen in quite a while! But Alcaraz made no mistake in the second tie break.

Rybakina might provide a decent match though.

You can see Alcatraz is still ramping up.

Raducanu is so frustrating, missing a lot of break points but she battled extremely hard and took the second set...then she is broken right away at start of third,then misses three break back points zzz

And now looks like she's struggling not to be sick. Didn't this happen to her before?

I thought she was sneezing earlier in the match but I think now it was retching.

I wonder is it the stress that gets to her? Or just lack of match fitness?

Anyway, I've decided I'm rooting for Wang in this one, she's a total scrapper and fighter, I love watching her.

• Advertisement

Jack Draper did throw up after his first round win as well.

They are both only back from injury a while and maybe not used to the temperature. She has had quite a few breakdowns health wise unfortunately.

Wang is a real scrapper alright, but Raducanu has had enough break points really to be leading, decent battle though not much between them.

Advertisement