Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finally a younger gun did the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

We'll, tbf, it did happen in Wimbledon last year too.

Unreal performance from Sinner. Complete domination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Holy unexpected result, Batman! And what a scoreline. I hope he wins it now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zverev will be kicking himself, as will Carlitos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What a comeback by Medvedev from 2 sets down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's the Zverev we all know and love

Nole all praise for Sinner, but adds in how terrible he played!!

I watched back some of the match, and he looked okay physically. Sinner made him play bad IMO. Although I did think Djokovic looked a step slower than usual, but I would attribute that to old age finally catching up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Losing from two sets up is such a tough loss for Zverev. Good 😈

Thrilled with the final, I like both players so it's a win-win for me. Hoping for Sinner, but won't be disappointed with Medvedev winning.

• Advertisement

Yep, feel the same. I feel as if Medvedev almost deserves an AO at this stage, being his third final (and remembering in particular the Nadal match), but wouldn't mind Sinner winning either as it could be the beginning of a new era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great to see Sinner beat Djokovic, hopefully he goes on to win it. Men's tennis badly needed that result, Djokovic has now lost in 2 of the last 3 slams to the two best young players around. To usher in a new era, the dominant players of the previous generation need to be overtaken on the court. The next generation ( Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas etc.) after the big 3 weren't able to topple them, so we've had to wait for Alcaraz and Sinner plus father time to finally end the dominance. Djokovic is not finished yet, but, his aura of invincibility at the slams has now gone, so the likes of Alcaraz and Sinner will have the belief they can beat him again next time they play him at slam level, that's massive. Others too will take belief from this and Djokovic will be more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Feel Zverev kind of beat himself there in that game

5th game of the 5th set was massive and Zverev was out on his feet.

Fair play to Medvedev for keeping his heart pumping and he played some great tennis. Backhand wing is lethal.

Think Sinner will go on to win it but I still think Novak has another 18 months left at the top so he is not letting in the new guns yet.

Post edited by BionicRasher on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Super start from Sabalenka, great hold to recover from 0-40. Looks confident and sure of herself, exactly like a player who's been here and done it all before.

Minor hiccup aside when serving for the match, that was a demolition job. What a title defense from Aryna Sabalenka, grand slam #2!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Boycotted it here in this house, for the very obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Fair play. An end to the war is imminent I'm sure because of this brave act.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I just noticed while looking at the Netflix documentary that Sabalenka's country wasn't engraved on the trophy like all the other former winners which seems quite pathetic to be honest.Maybe they'll go back in future and do it but I don't like this idea of holding non-political people responsible for the actions of politicians within their country it's really sinister behaviour in a lot of ways demonzing people for something they didn't do.

First blood to Medvedev, 6-3. That last game was poor from Sinner but overall I don't think he's done a whole lot wrong, Medvedev's just been better and is less nervous.

• Advertisement

Shame Sinner took so long to get going in that set, so close to getting back on serve! Can't see Medvedev squandering a two set lead yet again, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Didn't manage to wake up as early as I intended but with Medvedev 2 sets up (6-3 6-3) looks like I didn't miss much.

Well things just got interesting. Medvedev taking a long break here, probably trying to calm himself down.

Is history about to repeat itself here?! Medvedev surely has some lingering scar tissue..

Big hold that from Sinner to go 4/3 set 4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus.

How’s medvedev nerve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

6th Grand slam final and only 1 title so far I am sure isn't helping.

Plus Medvedev had to go through significantly more intensive matches than what Sinner had to face on the way to the final so Medvedev would be more tired naturally.

Sinner on the other hand has nothing to lose.

It's still very close though which is what we want from a GS Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Xander10

What channel is it on ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement