Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We’re still on for Nole/Alcaraz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would suspect Sinner is the most likely fly in that ointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Both matches finished in straight sets and it still went on til 1.20am

Will be a late finish for Alcaraz -Zverev. Might not be 03:30 but I can't see it finishing before 02:00.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Could be finished a lot earlier the way Zverev is wiping the floor with Carlitos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This match is... not going to plan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Certainly not for one of them. Unreal serving from AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭tiegan

Whatever about the match Kyrgios is a super commentator!!! He should stick to it, much as I love his tennis, he's always a bit of a dick on court!! I am an Alcaraz fan, and its not over - yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing, momentum.

But fair play to Zverev for doing in the fourth set what he couldn't manage in the third set. Probably even more impressive to win in 4 than in 3. For almost 3 sets he was steam rollering Alcaraz, but he had to fight and battle for it in the 4th.

Post edited by josip on

Beaten by Zverev, perhaps Alcaraz isn't the second coming of Christ after all. Zverev even did his usual choke in the 3rd to gift Alcaraz a way back into it and all.

First win against a top 5 player at a slam for Zverev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

World no 1 , US open and a Wimbledon before 20 is close enough to Christs exploits.

If Medvedev wins the AO, he'll take the #2 spot from Alcaraz.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭al87987

To be fair, Zverev 1st serve at 85% over 4 sets is a hell of a stat to overcome.

Alcaraz definitely seemed off it for a while though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hoping for a Zheng/Sabalenka final at this stage. Having Zheng in the final would also generate considerable interest in China which would ultimately be good for the sport.

Very disappointed Alcaraz lost and in the fashion he did. I'm very surprised but not shocked, Zverev has matched up well with him thus far.

Obviously hoping for Sinner to win the semi final, but I don't see it happening.He's made considerable strides inside the last few months, but I don't think that'll extend to being able to beat Djoko over five sets. Obviously I'd be delighted to be wrong.

Sinner losing would also kinda kill my interest in the men's side, because neither Zverev nor Medvedev would be winning that final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

6 grand slam semi finals in a row for Sabalenka with 3 final appearances, pretty incredible consistency.Happy she's through to the final now, would be great to see her win it.

I've nothing against Coco Gauff she seems very nice and she's a terrific player but the American hype around her and the biasedness of the media towards her always annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Zverev v Medvedev is the sort of boring tie I thought was going to be the future of tennis, until Alcaraz showed up.

Two 6'4/6'5 donkey's going at it, both great players but limited overall game, and boring. Size will get you so far but at that size will always be a level below what's needed. Hope Sinner does it

That serve tied Alcatraz in knots. I think they said it was his best ever serving stats. Problem is, he won't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sinner taken first set against djokovic 6-1 wowsers

Sinner taken second 6-2.. Djokovic not had a single break point so far

If Sinner keeps his head he should still win this really. He hasn’t faced a single break point yet

• Advertisement

He should but with djokovic who knows! he hung on well to take third set tiebreak after facing match point!

He did in fairness, just seems a level below Sinner , even at the moment

Definitely, let's see if Sinner can keep his level up he should be able to take it. If Sinner had broken there you feel game over but again Djokovic hung on.

Yeah if he keeps hanging on…. Haha. I just feel Sinner is ready for this at this stage , he’s had his few chokes and I don’t think he will again today, Hope I’m right !

Didn't think the match was starting until 8 this morning, so imagine my surprise when I wake up to see Sinner up 2-1 in sets and up a break in the fourth. Beyond thrilled with this result, an Australian Open final to look forward to! Hoping Sinner wins the whole thing now.

Hahaha, I hope he does - he’s been incredible this tournament. Djokovic didn’t have a break point , thats unfathomable.

Something nice to wake up to this morning 😃

Sinner so impressive delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, happy happy Friday!!!

Never was I so happy to have a spoiler in the sports news when I woke up and turned on the radio - I hurtled downstairs and caught the second half of the fourth set.

Delighted I am!!

• Advertisement

Sinner and Alcaraz really look out on their own as the future of men’s tennis. Can’t think of anyone else that comes close really. Rune looked okay briefly, don’t think he has the weapons though. French guy Fils looks fairly decent , he could move up fast this year.

Advertisement