Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there life after death or maybe life on other planets?

Options
  • 10-01-2024 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

Please leave your views.

These are the big questions, much more important than anything else. I'd love to do some reading on the subject of whether there is a God or not, if anyone has suggestions. Not religious books, stuff showing evidence or otherwise.

I'd imagine there is life on some other planets, the universe if fecking huge, it'd be strange if earth was the only place with life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why is it so important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

No and 100% Yes.

Close thread.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

We don't know but no evidence, so no

We don't know but evidence says maybe (on a near infinite potential planet number), so yes

• Advertisement

When it has been worked out in the future, time travellers will come back to tell whoever is alive. But not enough of the future has happened yet for time travel backwards to be possible. And of course that rules out time travel forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes (life after death) and maybe (life on other planets).

As for evidence of existence of a God, be aware that your metaphysical assumptions will help to decide in advance what 'counts' - i.e. what you will accept - as constituting evidence. Because what is and isn't 'real evidence' can differ from person to person.

For instance if you are materialist and declare you will only accept materialist evidence for God.

Materialism is a kind of atheism since it begins by first assuming that only the material is real, effectively excluding the spiritual from reality by prior assumption.

If you bring philosophical self-awareness to what you are assuming and accepting then you have a much greater chance of opening your mind to other ways of thinking.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

OK, any time is more than welcome to post 2 minutes before this post...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why do you assume you are at the forefront of time and not living something which has already been lived before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I third this, but would admit we may never prove either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Depends on what you "count" as evidence.

If you "count" nonsense as evidence then yes there is evidence. Even better if it is self aware philosophical nonsense.

I know. But that was way back before the Big Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

No god or gods. They're a human invention to explain things we didn't know about, and we've created tens of thousands of them throughout various cultures over the last 250,000 years. So no, there's no god/gods.

Life on other planets? Given the scale of the universe and the fact that we're here, you'd have to think so, but whether it's intelligent is another question. Unless we learn to fly thousands of times the speed of light or if aliens visit us, we'll likely never know.

I reckon too bio-chemistry wise, we're not that special, and given the diversity of life on Earth in inhospitable parts, I would not be surprised in the next 200 years if we discovered definitive evidence of life in other parts of our solar system. And if that were the case, I would imagine that the galaxy and wider universe would be teeming.

Though I suspect our civilisation will be more mechanical than biological when we do encounter alien life.

Communications across the universe must not have developed beyond the speed of radio signals, which is the same as the speed of light. The life forms which were out there millions of years ago but are now extinct could have sent messages. But they won't arrive for millions of years more.

Master of the Universe

One thing folks always forget about when wondering if there is life out there is the problem of time.

It would be almost impossible for there not to have been something else out there at some point given the expanse of the universe - but that doesn't mean we'll all exist within the same timeframe to actually meet or witness evidence of each other's existence.

We could all miss each other by billions of years.

Metaphysics is concerned with the ultimate nature of reality - the ancient Greeks invented the subject and were open to all possibilities.

You are entitled to use circular definitions of evidence which only accept strictly-defined material proof of the existence of the non-material, if that's what you want to do.

However just be aware that this is what you're doing, and you will have taken a step towards detachment - seeing your own beliefs from the outside of the assumptions which inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Theres no evidence to suggest that there is Life after death or Life on other Planets.

However, on the balance of probabilities consider this:

There is estimated to be 100 billion (yes billion) stars in our own Galaxy the milkyway. These stars have their own solar system. (other stars and rocks and planets and moons) say that only 1% of these stars have a planet capable of containing life thats 10million in our galaxy. Say then that only 1% of these 10million had some form of life, thats only 1% of 1% of the planets is 1 hundred thousand.

Now, there is estimated to be 2 Trillion Galaxys in the Universe. If you said that 100,000 x 2 trillion planets could house some form of life thats 2 x 17 zeros worth of planets with life on them.

The life after death thing, well, that doesnt have anywhere near the level of probability associated with it as the above. I think you return to the planet in the form of ashes and dust and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely us dumbass humans can't be seen as the top of the ladder when it comes to life. As for an afterlife I'm very sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

1. Who knows

2. Who knows

As for reading Richard Dawkins, he's an extreme atheist with a certain viewpoint. Atheists love him, he's their God.

• Advertisement

I have seen no evidence of the intellect necessary to produce your line of reasoning coming from anywhere else.

Master of the Universe

You cannot realistically come to a shared understanding of reality in a meaningful way without some sort of material proof.

Greek philosophical ideas are great to debate and gain deeper understanding of the mind, but ultimately if you want to come to actual conclusions that cross boarders / nationality / peoples, they need to be based in physical reality.

Everything else is just personal belief which is massively subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

After Death = No

Life on Planets = Perhaps

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

'You cannot realistically come to a shared understanding of reality in a meaningful way without some sort of material proof.'

I don't think you're digging deep enough here.

You assume materialism is the fundamental bottom line of reality (which it is for you and other Irish atheists), but must know that most societies past and even present have had a spiritual basis/shared understanding. Therefore how is it unrealistic to have a non-material basis for a society? It isn't.

To take it a level deeper, in evolutionary biology - Darwin and after - the strongest objective material evidence that a society has gone fundamentally wrong is below replacement fertility: a society that is literally dying out. (Over the cycle of a few generations, not observably before our eyes.)

Now this dysfunction might be genetic or it might be due to the society's belief system or some combination but consider that in the Western world - Mormons, Muslims and a few other devout religious groups are the only exceptions to this below-replacement fertility.

Now if you understand biology you will understand that that is, like I said, objective material evidence of a society's self-destruction. How do you account for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I'm considering picking up The Works of His Hands by Sy Garte, he's a retired biochemist and came from three generations of militant atheists but talks about his conversion to faith. I've listened to lots of interviews with him, and he seems quite humble and non-preachy, so not like some other born again Christians.

The Language of God by Francis Collins is also good, from what I've heard. Again it's written by a scientist, so it's not like it's from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Although from the talks I've heard by him he doesn't talk much about an afterlife, moreso the improbability of our existence assuming there was no supernatural force behind it all.

Jeffrey Long also wrote a book called Evidence of the Afterlife, which is fascinating if your interested in the subject of NDEs. He is a radiation oncologist and has studied thousands of cases of people who have briefly been to the other side and has been convinced there is an afterlife.

I'm not sure about books on the possibility of life on other planets but I'd have to assume there is someone here who has looked into it. I think there may be life elsewhere in the universe, but as of now there's probably no way of knowing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ha! Yeah, I'd like to read stuff on the subject from people who aren't ideologically motivated, if you know wor I mean.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Life after death? No, and that's absolutely fine.

Life on other planets? Yes, though we (as a species) will never meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

sometning mildly interesting I thought was when someone asked my great grandparents names. Not a clue of even 1.

it’s only takes 3 generations to be fully forgotten as such. Put in perspective how important you are.

Also mildly interesting. You could speak to someone today who spoke to someone who was alive during the famine. Born 1930 and 1840, died 1935.

Life on earth probably arrived from other planets. If some new ones arrived now, humans would probably treat them like the No Irish were treated. And in the future we will colonise other worlds, where we will be the Aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

life after death? no...though id like to think so..

life in the rest of the universe? oh siht yeah,stands to reason out of all the other planets out there...have they visited us and abducted people?nope...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Advertisement