Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there life after death or maybe life on other planets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

God created scientists, and they worked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How old do you think the universe is?

And why do you think something being a a theory means there is no evidence?

The Astronomer Royal in the UK was hinting at something similar quite recently. He suggested that the evolution of advanced civilizations might only have a brief organic phase before eventually becoming silicone based entities as artificial intelligence created by organic lifeforms no longer needs them to function. He also said that this may be the reason why we haven't found other intelligent life yet since we're currently looking for organic life only. Silicone based life would be freed from the necessity of heat and light provided by stars and would simply exist anywhere. What we would consider as cold dark and empty space would be irrelevant factors for these beings, hence us maybe never discovering them while we exist in our current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me God is like Santa (stop laughing).

Something that should only be believed in by children.

Once you are an adult, and have received any sort of education, logic, common sense and experience should tell you that there's absolutely zero proof and no reason to believe in a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Ultimate LOL at self-declared believers in god asking for evidence. Where's YOUR evidence??

LMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 chuda

what a shallow and disrespectful post.

actually name says it all ..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well I recollect seeing in the letters page of New Scientist, the proposal that intelligent life was common all over the universe. The theory being that they evolve, mine their planets resources and destroy their planet and themselves as a result.

I suppose the scenario would either be depletion of energy to the point where basic hunter gatherer tribes inhabit the planets and don't have the ability to travel or communicate interplanetary distances, or of course they wipe themselves out fighting over dwindling energy and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Life after death ? No, zero evidence exists of anything after death so the logical thing is to presume there is nothing.

We are born with no knowledge of what if anything went before us, so that really says that there isn’t reincarnation…or anything.. what’s the point of being reincarnated if you don’t know about anything of you in a previous life ? Unless you have a conscious knowledge of your previous life and previous self to some degree I don’t see how you can be reincarnated….

life on other planets ? No life forms have been detected on the Moon, Venus or Mars…planets where either US or Russian craft manned or unmanned have landed…. Can it be ruled out, no, but NASA have been in existence almost 66 years…

currently they have over 18,000 employees and an annual budget this year of over 25 billion…

add to that other expertise by the Russians, Indians, Japanese, European, Chinese…. some I think in South America….yet nobody can say… “ yes on Jupiter there is a small frog that licks rocks to survive…and reacted positively when we played it bits of Appalachian banjo music...”

there is nothing they are telling us anyway but I’m thinking there is nothing. Lots of independent space agencies worldwide too with substantial budgets…. So either there is nothing, or there is a global conspiracy amongst a dozen or so nations, hundreds of thousands of space agency employees and contractors all who must to keep us in the dark if some of them, they know anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

We decided from the start never to do the "Santa" thing with our kids. Actually ended up being important to us - but never important enough that we care a jot if any other parents do it :)

One of the arguments I remember thinking however in the "for" column of the argument for doing it was that a lot of unbelievers defined realizing Santa was not real also made them realize gods were likely was not real either.

So it struck me I was perhaps denying my children a mental vaccine/inoculation. Less using a less virulent and damaging type of virus to make you immune to a worse one. But since so many believers also believed in Santa for awhile - and many believers did not - I eventually realized it probably was not that important in the "for" column.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I get a laugh out of this confident ignorance, spoken so strongly...yet, we see no evidence.

And then there is the sinister, evil undertone to it. He exists if you believe in him or not. No thanks, prove it before you declare that there is a celestial North Korea.

The burden of proof always lies on the believer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Every living thing has a soul and death cannot alter the fact any more than your assumption to the contrary. But you are correct of course, humans are no different, we too have immortal souls. Why you should think the existance of souls is "ludicrous" is as strange as trying to contain our free and immortal souls in your rather pathetic pair of inverted commas. Our souls are eternal, we don`t need another life.

Perhaps there is life elsewhere in the universe but we can`t get there and the frightful worlds being discovered all the time should surely be reason enough to appreciate this planet all the more. There is no reason why life on some distant planet should challenge our faith any more than the discovery of the Americas.

Every living thing has a soul

What is a soul, please, and how do you know you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't know about God, there may be beings who behave or can do things beyond our comprehension, but I don't think there are gods in the way of think of them, being highly moral and our guardians. As for aliens, it would be incredible to be able to get to learn about or improve society through exchange of many things and experiences, if we were lucky enough that any aliens of our level of intellect or higher do exist. But I don't think it's 'important' as in it doesnt really change the meanings of our lives. Personally I think if aliens do exist, they are just as much as random result of environmental evolution as we are ie. pretty meaningless from a cosmic perspective but we have capacity for our own creation of meaning through the intelligence we have been gifted by nature.

Our souls are not eternal, and what is a "soul" anyway?

As the great Billy Connolly said, "Where do you go after you die? The same place you were before you were born, NOWHERE".

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Is there a God: Yes

Is there lifer after death: Yes

Is there life on other planets: Yes

I would have said No to the first 2, but then I came across videos of NDE, near death experiences, and I've now watched 100's of these videos and they are all very compelling. From religious people of various faiths to atheists, all coming back with similar stories. Reincarnation seems to be possible also. Worth a rabbit hole dive if you haven't seen them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Would you put up any good links if you have them?

It's mainly on TikTok I watched them and now get more on my FYP as the algorithm knows I interact with them. Just search #NDE #neardeath etc There are hundreds there. Very interesting stuff.

It's all faith based rubbish, except the idea of life on other planets.

Videos and accounts of NDEs etc also aren't evidence, first hand accounts are the least reliable form of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

I wouldn't need a near death experience to know God and the afterlife exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I guess the main clue is in the name to help us out even. NEAR Death Experience. The patient did not die. They experienced what it is like to NEARLY die. Near Death Experience is no more an experience of the after life than walking up to, and then away from, a plane is an experience of a holiday in Morocco.

There are not many claims of ACTUAL (not clinical) death, from which people return. Outside thngs like the Bible and Marvel Comics that is of course. But they appear to be fiction.

I have gone down more than rabbit holes on the subject. I have read about it and looked at it for YEARS. Not just idly watching "tiktok".

NDE, OBE and reincarnation specifically. But other forms of claim that involve human consciousness leaving, or surviving the death of, the brain. Been reading into them since my teens and I am in my mid 40s now.

To be honest I have not found anything "compelling" there. At leat not in the supernatural sense. It is certainly interesting that despite all our differences, we are biologically similar enough that we all exprience the same things when put under the same duress.

• Advertisement

Oh dear Scoffing at the number 1 social media platform in the world, Anyway, there were a number of declared dead experiencers there and one being a neurosurgeon.

But hey, it's only TikTok right..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Usually they talk of serenity, brightness, calmness, seeing loved ones or people you recognize, angels, re-assuring words, noises.

Or, as it's also known, experiencing hallucinations. That tends to happen with dying as you your body suffers oxygen deprivation, and your brain starts shutting down, you begin to hallucinate and/or unconsciously accept your death. It's a basic biochemical reaction, you see and hear things, and in a calming state of your brain not getting oxygen, the hallucinations appear peaceful and serene and your memories and thoughts of such things come to the fore. Nothing more to it than simple biochemistry.

What amazes me is the stupidity of people who believe it. That fact they've gone through it, fair enough, but now that suddenly it isn't there anymore wouldn't have anything at all to do with the oxygen returning to your brain now, would it? Kinds gives you the answer.

It's why priests/shamans/oracle's/soothsayers and all other forms of various religious/spiritual used to take all manners of drugs and plants and perform all sorts of meditations or good old fashioned oxygen deprivation throughout so many different cultures over the different millennia, as being close to death or absolute serenity allows you access to the "gods". We know now they were hallucinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Honest (I swear) question: which version of one's soul goes on to live forever, or to heaven, or whichever life after death you think there is? Is it the one where they were young and innocent? It's the one they had during their last breath even if it was something completely deteriorated by old age diseases like dementia?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Usually they talk of serenity, brightness, calmness, seeing loved ones or people you recognize, angels, re-assuring words, noises.

All of which can be experienced in mere dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Yet I scoffed at nothing. I merely put it in quotes. So you quoted my entire post but replied to nothing that was in it, but something that only existed and happened in your own head. Much like NDE I suppose!!!

What TikTok is not however is science. In fact without a monumenal level of effort, nothing on it is all that verifiable. The distinction I was making between the things I have read.... and idly watching TikTok... was not a scoff at TikTok but an acknowledgement that at least when you read Science Papers and books on the topic, the authors tend to have engaged in at least some minimum level of rigor to verify their sources and so forth. Things like TikTok and Twitter are not generally the platforms for that level of rigor.

However as you rightly note, it is one of the most used platforms on the planet. So merely pointing at it and saying "The evidence is in there" is not so useful. If you want to be decent enough to link to some of the more "compelling" narratives you found there, we can all of course go check them out ourselves.

But without that, your post is alas just guff. There were a total of 8.6 billion videos uploaded in TikTok in 2021. I am not about to go trawling around in it to find your alleged neurosurgeon.

However I am not clear why you think being a neurosurgeon, in the context of NDE, is actually even worth mentioning. Surgeons, as opposed to scientists, tend to know a lot less than you might think on the topic of their surgery. There is a massive distinction between a neurosurgeon and a neuroscientist for example.

In fact there is a book "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife" written by Eben Alexander which is a useful example of this. Some of the claims in that book.... and the associated NewsWeek article about him.... about the brain are simply patently wrong. Not because the author is an idiot. But because the author simply does not know any better and being trained as a neurosurgeon actually leaves you knowing suprisingly little about the brain and general human biology. I read the above texts without any such qualification and even I was able to spot the errors there.

I've seen some accounts of this from NDE's and they say that time as we live it doesn't exist or in a sense we dont understand, basically everything that has happened and will happen exists at the same time, so you can experience any part of your life or past lives.

It's non linear time I believe it's referred to, but I've only skimmed this part so far.

From my point of view I just find it comforting if this is what happened to the people I've loved & lost.

It sounds very peaceful & happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

So you're going to relieve your life all over again, with no new experiences, just a continuous rewind and rerun? That's a cruel nightmare if you ask me. Especially if your life wasn't all that happy. And the non linear time it's just another dimension added to this nightmare for us humas who experience time linearly. FFS if that is what we're to be expecting then nothingness sounds way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you grow up your entire life as a believer, and think you are going to see a tunnel of light, your old family and friends etc, what do you expect a human body to do when it's in a NDE?

it'll project what you have been conditioned to. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement