Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there life after death or maybe life on other planets?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

There is no time as we know it so you dont live your life again. I'm no afterlife expert, as I've been told.

But there is a review that is commonly reported.

I wouldn't fear it from what I've heard.

Atheists report the same experience as religious people, it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe because they have all heard the stories too?

As an atheist, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw my dad and grandparents etc if I was in a NDE. Does it mean it's real? I guess we will never know, but I'm sticking with no, it's only my dying brain and it's coping mechanism to it dying, releasing happy drugs to ease the pain of my existence coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It is all well and good if you find it peaceful and comforting, that doesn't make it true though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I don't think anyone is disputing that something happens to a person when they have a near death experience. We are disputing that you see a God (take your pick of which God that is), or pearly gates, or your family. There is a thing call hallucinations.

"Ultimately, what we're saying is, 'This is the great unknown. We're in uncharted territory.' And the key thing is that these are not hallucinations. These are a real experience that emerges with death."

Interesting Article here:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I would say that depends on the "something" you think it is. I for one definitely agree there is "something" to it. Quite a lot of interesting somethings to be honest. I just do not suspect it is the same "something(s)" you thus far appear to think it is.

I certainly have seen nothing in any papers.... and I have read many including many on your list there.... that suggest that NDE is actually human consciousness operating indepednetly of, or surviving the death of, the brain. Not just little. Nothing.

In fact if you read the links (many or most of which are not papers at all) in the list you offered you will see that very few of them have anything to do with showing NDE is any such thing.

Even the first two on the list are good examples of this. The first is discussing the effects on your quality of life of having an NDE. The second is related to the effect on fear of death from having an NDE.

Others on the list do not study NDE at all, rather they are a commentary on what you should and should not do IF you study NDE for example.

Another one on the list looks into how there us a surge of activity in brains nearing death. Which offers a very real world, not at all supernatural, explanation for what NDE likely is.

Another one on your list, even more interestingly, compares actual NDE with hypnotically induced "death" experiences and found similiar experiences between the two. This is probably not a good finding for people who want to imagine that NDE is people experiencing an after life or heaven. It seems you do not actually have to die or even be dying, to have essentially much the same experiences! What then does NDE have to do with the afterlife at all?

Overall I think a person "on the fence" would be very hard pushed to find anything in that long list you just offfered, which would leave them to think NDE is a "life after death" phenomenon but is in fact very much a "living brain" phenomenon.

Oh I too agree with you that merely calling them "hallucinations" is probably not useful. I do not think it is entirely inaccurate. I just do not think that word reaches the full depth of it. The word "hallucination" suggests the perception of things not present or existing. While I agree that this can be an aspect of NDE, I do not think it is the totality of NDE.

Rather I suspect that with NDE much of what a person experiences is very real indeed. Your article opinion piece here starts with the patient perceiving the hospital room around them for example. That patient was indeed in a hospital room and so therefore was likely perceiving it at some level.

Dreams work like this too. Often noises or smells or other sensations surrounding you make themselves part of your dream. There is a reason we do not call dreams "hallucinations" either. We recognise a distinct difference between them.

Again, I think most people or maybe even everyone, likely agree with the above statement that NDE is a very real thing, and a very real experience. That is not contentious. What is contentious is the idea.... lacking even the smallest modicum of evidence...... that the experience is evidence of an after life, or of human consciousness operating wthout or following the death of, the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Murt2024

Maybe in the future we can clone your DNA from the maggots and worms feasting on your rotten flash

@nozzferrahhtoo Are you referring to the DMT studies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I wrote a lot above. Can you be more specific? I can only guess at what you mean.

I am guessing you are referring to my mentioning the "Hynotically induced" experiences? If not then apologies, as I said you left me only able to guess.

Specifically I was referring to a link on your list there entitled "A Comparison of Hypnotically-Induced Death Experiences and Near-Death Experiences" from 2018.

The study found that people experiencing "death" under hypnosis experience similar things to people who have actual NDE. Specifically in this case using hypnosis on people who believe they had past lives. Which of course means we need more study.... as an interpretation of such a study will be heavily influenced based on whether one thinks said patients ACTUALLY had past lives or not.

On it's own the study therefore says almost nothing, and is almost entirely useless. But it is certainly an interesting avenue to look into further. Unfortunately I am not aware of too many incidences where people have tried to study hypnosis in general, and experiences under it, in relation to comparing it to NDE and OBE and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...and the bible is true, because it says so?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Someone close to me went to a psychic recently. They told them very specific, little known information about myself. I don't think she could possibly have found it out from any research. The psychic also had some messages from a person who died a number of years ago.

I told this to a friend of mine. He told me his wife had got incredibly got a message from an uncle who died a generation earlier. The woman who got the message from the psychic hadn't even been aware of the circumstances of her uncle's death.

I'm sure people won't agree, but that kind of stuff makes me believe there is a life after death of some kind. Also I read an interview with an author lately who wrote a novel which has the nature of memory as a major theme. The author researched a lot and found that even neuroscientists know very little about why consciousness exists. Could the brain and the body merely be receivers for a greater power acting through them?

Anyway, I'm much more optimistic about there being life after death, or maybe even a life parallel to the one we are currently living in.

Out of curiosity - where were you yourself when this psychic was giving your friend personal information about you? And what form did this information take? Were you mentioned by name for example?

It's not at all usual to my limited knowledge for psychics to be giving information on third parties who are not present. They usually limit it solely to the person or people who are in the room before them. Not least because of the blow back they can get if their customer runs off to the person they were talking behind the back of - and said person comes storming through the door angrily days later.

Like if a psychic told one person their friend is having an affair - and said person runs to that friend and informs them the psychic said they were having an affair - then regardless of whether they are in fact having an affair or not they would have warranted grounds to be extremely annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I was at home. I don't think I was mentioned by name, not sure, but I was very clearly identified and my relationship to the person there.

There was nothing particularly sensitive about the information, to be honest not many people would be interested, but the psychic asked had I finished a particular project that almost no one would know I have been working on. I had finished it about two weeks earlier after over a year of working on it daily. I know people are cynical about this kind of thing, but I can't possibly see how someone could know what that person knew. Even if they had thoroughly researched the person coming to see them, it'd be next to impossible to dig up the information in question.

Ah right. It does seem odd because as I said the people in that profession as far as I know tend to minimize talking about third parties. So I was just curious about it. I was not intending to question or be cynical about your story. I was just interested in that one aspect of it.

But since you mentioned it yourself not me then - Yes cynicism and skepticism is warranted. You see I know well - and have studied and trained in - many of the techniques these people use to extract information or to leave you thinking they have extracted information even when they haven't actually done so. I use many of the techniques myself not as a psychic but in my mentalism and illusion and close up magic routines. Magic is a big hobby for me.

Unfortunately when you hear about these events however it tends to be second hand. So someone will come and say "I went to a psychic - they knew X - there is no way they could possibly have known X". But since I was not in the room and there is no video or audio footage I tend not to be able to show them which techniques were used when and how. I can talk vaguely about the kind of techniques that were probably used (researching people coming to see them is one of only very many techniques used. Many techniques are used cold "in the moment" with no prior knowledge).

But - What we have here is even one more step removed from that. It is not even second hand. It's third hand. So there is nothing I can comment on. I was merely curious about the whole "third party" thing.

But for sure if I had a dollar for every person who comes from a psychic saying "They could not possibly have known what they knew" I would be a rich man indeed. The entire profession is built around making you think that. And as I said I know and use many of the ways they do it.

Advertisement