Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there life after death or maybe life on other planets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is there a God? ..I'd like to think there might be.

Life after death. ..doubtful .

Life on other planets? . Brain says no. Heart says hope there is. Cos if humans are the smartest then we're doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Are you saying atheist believe that Richard Dawkins doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can’t recommend a single book to start with to be honest. I get where you’re coming from wanting to avoid religious or spirituality related stuff, but I’d imagine it’s impossible to avoid references to it or being able to place those references in context in order to get any real insight into anything if you’re determined to avoid them.

It’s really not strange at all if there were no life, or life as we know it, on other planets. The fact that we’re here at all is due to a cosmic sequence of events, and the way things are going, there’s no reason to assume we’ll still be here millions of years from now. But just for shìts n giggles, the Fermi paradox is a good place to start which might give you a jumping off point to start from -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Then hit up Amazon and check the book reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Life on other planets, almost certainly yes, and loads of it. Just too vast and plentiful of energy sources and planets for there not to. Will we ever make contact? Probably not, lifespans too short to even scratch the surface of intergalactic travel.

Life after death? Almost certainly no. We are organic matter, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I was never religious, so when it comes to death i believe it was like before we were born and when you're gone, you're gone. When it comes to life on other planets i would say yes, It doesn't have to be intelligence life but i would say it's nearly a given considering how vast space is. There could be some dinosaur type life just going about their business, but i don't think we'd be sitting down and having a cup of tea and a chat soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

The Fermi paradox tries to explain life on other planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There is life after death. It’s just that you won’t be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Life after death? More than likely no.

Life on other planets? More than likely yes...

...but, it may not be life as we understand it and there's almost certainly nothing in our galaxy in immediate terms anyway. But considering there are an incredible number of planets and solar systems out there, the odds that some kind of life exists elsewhere is quite high, even if it's just a single cell organism.

I think when mankind does eventually come across a lifeform on another planet, an awful lot of people are going to be mightily underwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

IMHO of course…

The universe is too vast for us to be the only life in existence so I’d be almost certain that there is life on other planets. But the laws of physics would suggest that it’s unlikely we’d cross paths.

I’m not so sure about life after death. My logical side tells me no but some anecdotal bits seem to suggest that something is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭tom23

Life after death. No. We came we saw we died. Life on other planets. There has to be. At what stage of development?.. who knows... if we found life? Fine Gale would try and tax it.

Even though the Milky Way is a small galaxy, it still has a lot of stars and planets. So it would make sense to look there first.

"Our galaxy probably contains 100 to 400 billion stars, and is about 100,000 light-years across." 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes and yes. But the first yes must be understood as most of your atoms will go on living, but you as a person, certainly not. Notions like eternal life or soul are ridiculous and created just because humans can't accept that the death is their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Time is an illusion. At least according to Physics..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Life after death. Yes. I like to think so.

Other life forms on other planets. Yes aswell. There has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I have a vague memory of bacteria being detected in material taken from another planet and evidence that there was once water there. Was it Mars?

Life after death? I don't think so beyond our atoms being redistributed.

Life on other planets? I'd say very likely. I like @o1s1n's theory here:

Never mind meeting them, it is impossible to communicate with them. If a life form which existed five million years ago on a planet ten million light years away had sent out a signal, what would happen if we picked it up today? They could be extinct for millions of years, and our reply would not get back there for ten million years.

And those distances are the equivalent of going to the next room in a house, compared to the outer reaches which would be like going to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Err, I dont think 1% of 100 Billion is 10 million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I always flirt with death. I look ill but I don't care about it. I can face your threats. And stand up straight and tall and shout about it

I think I'm on another world with you. With you. I'm on another planet with you. With you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Came from a fairly religious family ould pair used go to mass every morning yes 7 morning a week 8 o clock morning Mass, looking back they had great purpose, great hope and lived very happy fullfied lives. I forget what age I was that I stoped believing but it was very sad, I suppose its like a child believing in santa, same thing, now I have my own family we still do holy communion, confirmation and mass one's a year just a community thing for me now. So it's a No and a probably from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

But but......according to the (not so) Christian Brothers that tried to educate me we are all going to "rise up" on "the last day"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have a vague memory of bacteria being detected in material taken from another planet and evidence that there was once water there. Was it Mars?

I think it was in the stratosphere of Venus, some radio frequencies detected that were said could only be generated by living organisms like bacteria. Something like that which turned out to be inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ha! You are correct. That would only be 1% of a billion. Dunno how I missed that.

Just goes to show you, the probability is even higher. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

whats the difference between an atheist and an "extreme" atheist?

atheism is just a rejection of the god claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

all religious people are ideologically motivated so i guess that rules them out too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not sure you’ve thought that through… Because if future time travellers will have a past to travel back to then presumably people in that past aren’t aware of that future and that their present is a past to that future. It’s just their present like our present is ours. What I’m getting at is how do you know our present is the front of the timeline? We could be one of those pasts a future time traveller might arrive at any moment now? Plus who’s going to say they’ll tell us? Isn’t that what they say about time travel, that you must not mess with the past? Which presumably includes telling people about time travel from the future?

I love time travel brain farting. It’s all crazy thought stuff of the proper whacky type.

Advertisement