Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK fund snaps up 85% of Dublin 17 housing estate originally aimed at individual buyers

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That still doesn’t mean you deserve one. Ireland is not the same country as it was in the 90’s, nor during the recession when prices were low but banks wouldn’t lend. I saw in an article recently that 350k new jobs were created in Ireland between 2019 and 2023, they, and all the other extra million people in Ireland since 1990 are your competition for that house with two gardens and a drive for your car. Reality check kid, you are no more deserving of that house than anyone else looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I've got my house.

I happen to think everyone else who grafts deserves one too.

If we're backsliding so much in living standards, sure let's do away with the winter fuel allowances. Most of these old people grew up in the 40s and got by regardless when there sometimes wasn't enough wood or coal for the fire, and now they need free money for central heating?

They don't know they're born.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf that's not entirely true with the promotion of the concept of land lording as a commodity driver at scale. You're competition isn't Joan and Alan and their two kids. It's institutional investors and medium to large landlords. A concept that is very new probably 25 years old. And incentivised which is bizarre considering how vital homes are as a cog in normal economic activity. Not just an ireland people btw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Regarded as ludicrous by who? It has been abundantly clear that we can not house the population in semi-Ds for decades and was driven home by the time of the GFC which left us with empty estates of them massive distances outside Dublin which was the only place they could realistically build them at the time. But it turned out that that was shite for everyone.

Anyone who thought we could build a house for every family in 2020 was deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭standardg60

Snobbery is exactly what SF and others use to separate people, only it's reverse snobbery. 'Ordinary' working people, whoever they are, should class themselves differently and consider themselves more deserving to special treatment. Over who? Anyone they think has done better than them.

• Advertisement

But yet most council homes provided nationwide today are terraces. Apartments would still only dominate as 1 beds.

So you're 30 odd.

Do most people you know your age rent?

Probably.

I'm failing to see your societal outlier status here. It's hard to be despised by society when most of society is in your same boat.

The sheer lack of houses for the open market in Dublin being started in 2023 (it's somewhere below 4000, hard to tell until completion and who buys up what) shows that if you think we have too many renters now, we have seen nothing yet.

Advertisement