Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boeing 737 Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's the same design so makes sense for them to be checked over but there's no reported issue for the model

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most 737-900s would have had a heavy check by now

If they find problems there it calls the entire maintenance and inspection routines in to question really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There was a good bit of overlap between the oldest 739 and the youngest Max9 so it does make sense to inspect them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Regarding the Max9. Unless you plan to fly with Alaska, Turkish, Aeromexico or United you are probably grand.

As for the "neo 321". Its an Airbus design. What's your beef with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I flew the neo 321 from Dublin to Toronto and its just smaller than the airbus, smaller cabin and a little squeeze with the passengers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What you on about? It’s the exact same width as any narrow body Airbus, they’re all the same!

No there not their smaller inside, only 3 rows of seats each side, the airbus has 3 seats then 4 middle ones and 3 more seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You are comparing an a320 to an a330 they are both airbus but different aircraft.

• Advertisement

Yeah as he said, different aircraft! It’s like comparing a BMW 5 series to a BW Golf! Seat size and “personal space” is pretty much identical regardless tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or a 747 to a 737...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wow amazed that they are still flying 757 26 years old ! Great aircraft.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unconnected incident to a barely connected model of aircraft that wouldn't even have been news outside ATL before.

I don't think the Max should ever have been allowed back in the air after the MCAS stuff and even I think the media are over doing their reporting on minor issues with Boeing airframes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

delta was always know to be hard on aircraft. ex usaf pilots ! not sure if that's still the case

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Some of the flight search websites have added an aircraft selection filter to their flight search results. On Kayak its a bit buggy, and missing the 737 as an option at the moment, but very interesting that they added this at all.

Will be interesting to see if it has any real world impact on people searching for flights, and filtering out the 737.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

In the past while I've been looking at flights to various places with different airlines. A form of window shopping and when I click on flight details if there is a Boeing on part of the route I think, 'nah and look at other airlines.

This is a crazy. Instead of airlines thinking, 'great, we've got new jets on the tarmac, the crews are ready to go. Lets get customers.' They're spending hard earned money sending these BRAND NEW planes to the garage to be stripped back and checked to see if they're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Some great reporting here that pulls together the quality issues encountered by the Alaska Airlines fuselage throughout it's journey from Spirit Aviation and on to Boeing. The multiple issues encountered with fuselage 8789? Well it is indicative of poor quality control culture and effort to shift responsibility for issues rather than actually addressing and eliminating cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

im no engineer, but if something is flawed.....its not like a bolt coming loose etc.

the whole MCAS thing i found unbelievable. Watched some reports and docs on it. I found it pretty disgusting how all the hundreds of ppl who perished unnecessarily were not forefront to the subject of the whole thing. then to rename the plane , speaks volumes no ?

not sure if this was reported here, but this was last week in Dublin - the aircraft is only 4 yrs old.

i read the comments on link i posted, and someone asked what maintenance is carried out on aircraft windows ?

And someone else said " Ryanair removed boeing from their aircraft " ? I flew with them twice a couple of weeks ago, cant say i noticed. and i use ryanair a fair bit.

re the windows, its a good point, ive been on aircraft whereby the cabin windows that look like they've been cocaine chopping boards years old, so they dont get replaced ? apparently there are 4 layers of windows in the cockpit on this boeing max, but there still shouldnt be a failure unless something hits it at the very least. What would you say if your jeans split while out and about - ah dont worry, ive boxers on ??

if this aircraft continues to have issues, there is now way they can keep standing over it. Its almost like filling a water balloon, bouncing it , to see when it will burst.....

i wonder would the FAA be so blasé if the shoe was on the other foot, and this issue happened with an airbus, would they allow it fly into the US etc ?

All machinery can have issues, but due to the very nature of aircraft and the high risk millions of ppl face every day, its an inherent part of flying , even though stats say you're safe. Lets hope no more issues with the max, but alas, i fear that wont be the case. i just hope i am not on one.

i thought it was mad that ryanair spent a reported 36 billion euro with boeing even in the light of all of this.

• Advertisement

Ryanair call the MAX the 8-200, but they don't / can't hide that it's a Boeing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's a 737NG in the photo and the article is about a 787. Nothing at all to do with the MAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Cracked windscreens are not a new phenomeon and are not confined to Boeing products. Not something you want to have happen but, as they are multi-layer, it's not as catastrophic as some people would like to suggest. The Egyptair 787 in question was repaired at Dublin and on its way back to Cairo the following evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

United are in talks with Airbus to get timely Neo production slots to allow them cancel their Max 10 order according to Bloomberg:

Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue and Indigo are all in financial trouble right now so they may wish to divest some of their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Other than it being a massive kick in the teeth for Boeing I'd image if that happens Airbus may push United as whether they'll take their A350s or not.

DL will be another interesting one to watch out for as well with their Max 10 order regardless of what was said by them a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

I'd say Airbus would be happy to convert that A350 order to more A321neos if it meant nicking the large order of Max 10s from Boeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most Journal commenters havre a room temperature IQ - in Celsius

Windscreens crack on any type of airliner from time to time. It's nothing to do with the aircraft manufacturer and loss of pressurization as a result is exremely rare.

It would cost Ryanair an absolute fortune to switch to Airbus retraining flight crew, cabin crew, ground crew... and both manufacturers have a years-long waiting list anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Probably the last great 737 built was the -800. Best 737 version ever was the -200. And when the 200/Advanced debuted in 1971, it was the penultimate 737.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In a further development to this story. Ryanair have made clear that should 737-MAX become available due to US Airlines cancelling orders? That they will take them. A risky strategy if Boeing encounter another issue and one that risks at the very least a customer backlash IMO.

Yes airlines operate on ever tighter profit margins and the bottom line does matter. O'Leary is IMO making a gamble that is wholly dependant upon Boeing executing a quality management & assurance turnaround within months! When anyone who has experience of quality & cultural change within a large Org? Would say 1st that it takes years, and 2nd that such efforts fail more than they succeed.

Ryanair has offered to step in and pick up more Boeing 737 Max aircraft if any US airlines cancel their orders amid deepening manufacturing problems at the plane maker.

Europe’s largest airline has emerged as Boeing’s most supportive major customer after the manufacturer was plunged into crisis by a fuselage blowout on an Alaska Airlines flight earlier this month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Must be gambling on the us government stepping in

Probably correct

Advertisement