Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boeing 737 Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

This is why I fly mostly Airbus Lingus now instead of the other lads who bought the rickety Boeings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The 737 max always has problems of some sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’ve never had a problem flying on the Max.

Once they have the exact same number of landings as take-offs, I’m happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's built in America. What do you expect lol. Not exactly renowned for there build quality.

No joke do. That's not good. I would and will not fly on a Max do. No way. Not till they are at least a decade in the air with no incidents.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

An engineer told me from a max operator they're also having snags with the flight interlocks on their exits.

• Advertisement

The 737 project seems to have continued beyond what makes good sense. As a man giving directions by the roadside might say “well I wouldn’t start from here”.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

To be pedantic on whoever started that pprune thread, there is no such thing as a 737-900 MAX....there is the 737-900, which is a NG, and the 737-9, which is a MAX.

I'm sorry but my OCD is killing me here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Plenty of things wrong with that plane, just google 737 max, Boeing have also asked for an exemption on some safety issue with using the anti-icing feature on the aircraft so they can get the 7 max out to customers.

if it’s used too long in certain conditions it can over heat and a piece of the cowl or engine can break away and damage the aircraft???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Should we really be leaving it up to the Airline companies to decide if they need the "Extra" safety exit or not?

Why is it there in the first place, and I presume by removing it adds extra seating capacity, or have they reduced capacity elsewhere, that then does not require it, e.g. extra legroom in First class?

And then when it is removed, Boeing still build the plane with the hole, and fills it in with some extra panels, and a few rivets or something.

Does this "Version" of the plane go through full testing? or its not needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Actually plugging the extra exit reduces the maximum capacity permissable of the airframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The B737-9 MAX is designed for two uses

1. Business + economy configuration, medium haul - fewer seats - fewer exits
    2. Economy only, maximum number of seats - more exits

The number, type and position of the emergency exits are a function of the number of seats. The manufacturer must demonstrate by practical test to show evacuation with 50% of available doors in under 90 seconds

All aircraft are the same structurally, the airline based on configuration enables this exit if needed

For case 1 you need fewer exits so this doorway is plugged, reduced weight and maintenance costs

For case 2 you need more exits so this doorway is active, no choice its required by FAA/EASA

The A321NEO LR has the same provisions, see the missing window 25A/F on Aer Lingus A321NEO. Thats actually the door. See Wizzair for a A321NEO with comes with the door built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

The airlines don't decide if the aircraft needs an emergency exit, the regulations dictate it. Removing that exit reduces the allowed number of occupants, it doesn't increase it.

That section of fuselage allows for flexibility to have the option of higher density seating (with an emergency exit door fitted) or a lower density layout (mixed class or more legroom) with the exit plugged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

flying on a United 737 max from EWR to Vegas tomorrow..

I will bow to your OCD, we need folk to have us on the same hymn sheet, as it were 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I already hinted at that in my post, but the news articles just comment Alaska Airlines opted to not have this exit without really explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I was just going to post that picture myself! While the small window will still suck the person out, judging by the pictures it's a lot worse and much bigger, I thought it was just the small window, but it seems to be a decent chuck of the side as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

a boy sitting in a row with his mother had his shirt sucked off him and out of the plane. “His mother was holding on to him,” he said. “You heard a big loud bang to the left rear. A whooshing sound and all the oxygen masks deployed instantly and everyone got those on.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/06/alaska-airlines-grounds-boeing-737-max-9-planes-after-mid-air-window-blowout

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

will be spending a lot of time in Newark tomorrow 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Chris Brady has uploaded a video on the mid-cabin exits, including some specifics relating to this incident

https://youtu.be/nw4eQGAmXQ0?si=K9Js2c6qqR_ieJ6B

• Advertisement

How come nobody is wondering where the door / plug thing landed?

could of came crashing through some unlucky persons roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

What makes you think that "nobody is wondering"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

God almighty after reading that article who the hell would fly on a Boeing Max, after all the issues they have had!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Me, it was an md80 that I feared seeing on a flight schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

This could very easily be a Boeing quality issue on the final assembly line rather than a problem exclusive to the MAX, they have struggled in recent years on both the 737 and 787 lines.

Plugged exits is neither unique to the MAX or Boeing, other manufacturers feature similar configurations such as Airbus with the A321neo but Boeing’s recent record doesn’t help them here.

Unfortunately, because it’s such a young aircraft, it looks very likely to be an issue it was delivered with but we’ll have to wait for the preliminary investigation before knowing if the finger is really pointed at Boeing.

Well I haven’t seen anybody wondering, Have you?

well except myself of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

Made in 'Merica

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've a long history on here of banging a drum re: the collapse in Boeing's quality post McDonnell merger. My post history has plenty of my thoughts on Boeing's decline.

What was a company rooted in engineering principles, where the product mattered has over the last 25yrs suffered IMO a marked decline in quality management.

The KC-46, the AF1/747-800, the 787 and the absolutely disastrous continuing issues with the 737-Max are a millstone for the company and have cost Billions and will continue to accrue losses.

The backsliding of quality control even at suppliers is hurting Boeing, Spirit Aero systems issues from a couple of years ago as an example.

What were well controlled and impeccable supply from a quality standpoint are becoming a serious and ongoing safety issue. That Boeing's management are still grappling with these issues post MCAS and Mullenberg's 2019 resignation, points IMO to a failure of Boein's corporate culture and they still haven't managed to arrest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does the 737 max 8 have this blanked off door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

No. it is used for a 737-9 in a cabin configuration not used on the 737-8200 or 737-8.

Advertisement