Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boeing 737 Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's almost like trying to shoehorn more seats and bigger engines into a 50 year old design isn't the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But there have been many major upgrades of the 747 over the years switching to full glass cockpit and far more powerful engines etc without these kind of issues.

Boeing are just gone to ****. I've a feeling that door panel wasn't suitably secured at the factory. If that's the case, anything is possible within the manufacturing process and as such not up to a standard I'd feel safe flying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

plug has been in use on 737-900 for a long time before 737-9 came in to existence. This is some Quality Control issue with either workmanship or parts used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Obviously it wasn't secured properly, obviously they will be checked to the extent that you can be sure it will never happen again, obviously it's a bad situation for the manufacturer but you would hope it means more quality/ safety checks all around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I don't rely on what's posted on this forum. Unless there's evidence to the contrary, I would expect that the US NTSB is amongst the parties that are actually engaged in establishing where the missing section landed and searching for it. That's all that really matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They spent months searching in the ice in Greenland to recover parts from an A380 engine failure. Of course they're interested in recovering the ejected parts. If nobody reports it/them as falling on their property, then they'll use computer analysis to work out a search area.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

surely the pressure of low cost is causing cracks here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Boeing asked the FAA top exempt the Max 7 from safety rules, for a known defect, so it can start delivering planes to customers, with a known defect. The same defect is on the 8 and 9. Pilots have to remember to turn off the engine anti-ice system. There's no alert or reminder and they can forget. If they don't, the nacelle could break up and potentially penetrate the cabin or damage the tail and make the plane uncontrollable. Boeing say it's fine because it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Somewhere in Alaska there was a teenaged boy waking up on a road and cycling home to find his room was hit by a falling piece of an aircraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭tinytobe

As far as I know they have ordered the 737 Max to stay on the ground.

Only 737-9 with plugs which by the way is not in service with European airlines and they can ferry the few planes affected home unpressurized.

Icelandair and Turkish fly this variant also.

OK. I will take your word for it but Iceland is on the mid atlantic ridge and nearly all of Turkey is not in Europe so I'm reluctant to concede I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I’ve three flights to book soon. Gran Canaria, France and Italy. Ryanair & Aer Lingus. I’m not a plane guy.

How am I supposed to know what plane I’ll be put on before I book , so I can avoid the Max ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can guarantee not to be on one with aer lingus anyway.

Ryanair don't have max 9 but they have max 8 so according to this thread the max 8 doesn't have the door that failed on the max 9.

I wouldn't have faith in any of the 737 max at this point though cause if a door can fall off a brand new aircraft, there are significant issues within the factory.

Ryanair don't have any planes with plugged escape exits so just as safe as Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭geographica

The NTSB have already issued details of a search area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I've been watching the few videos of this and what's intriguing me is that the blurb on the back of the seats, embedded into the seats is all, max 8 this and max 8 that. Yet, this plane keeps being referred to as max 9?

As regards flying, at this stage with so many faults on this thing I wouldn't trust Boeing to put enough air in the tyres.

If I have to fly in the future I'll be flying with a carrier that is Airbus. Not Boeing. Given the choice between flying Boeing or taking a boat, I'll take the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭geographica

So lucky this didn’t happen at cruising altitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The whole point of the “plug” design is that the plug/door is bigger than the hole in the fuselage and therefore the plug/door can’t just blow out like this (the pressure differential between the cabin and exterior pushes the large door flush against a hole too small for it to travel through). When installing plugs/doors you need to bring them inside the aircraft on their side and then line them up with the hole.

This is most likely a result of improper installation at the factory given the aircraft is only 2 months old, unless the plug was removed and re-installed since (very unlikely).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I was adding information rather than correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Turkish have temporarily withdrawn their 5 737 Max 9's for inspection.

Icelandair don't have the plugged door in question on the Max 9 so are not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Pedantic me, but the plugged door on EI’s A321’s has a window and is at row 24, rest of the post is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Those safety cards read "737-8MAX/-9MAX Rafts"

Fair enough, still won't make me fly on one of them willingly. What sort of outcome would there have been if this was at a considerably higher altitude?

Story after story about Boeing keep coming out. Delays, quality issues, etc etc., If I had a car that randomly tried to kill me on my way to work, I wouldn't be getting into it. I'm not a pilot. but if I were every time I sat down behind those controls I'd be asking, what random crap is going to happen today? I'm sure pilots ask themselves those questions before every flight, but I'm sure most of 'em aren't expecting a section of fusilage to randomly break away from the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

But you are still far more likely to die in a road accident than flying in an airliner - so why do you still fly on planes?

It's a question of trust. I trust that my car is built properly. I trust that Airbus jets are just put together correctly or at least weren't let out of the hangar knowing there is a fundamental fault in the design. The two hideous crashes that happened because of a design fault that the company knew about and frankly sidestepped and paid a large fine for doesn't inspire trust. Nobody went to prison for that. The continuing litany of problems, faults, delays etc., builds a picture that's frankly scary. When I get on a plane I'd like to think the risks have been minimised, that the crew know what they're doing, the groundcrew etc. If I can't trust the people who built the bloody plane? Who can I trust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I doubt people are worried about plugged escape exits. Those will all be checked, because stable doors are always checked despite the horse being gone.

They are worried about what the next failure is going to be, the one that hasn't happened yet.

Because when a company is clearly operating unsafely then another problem is inevitable.

Advertisement