Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I find this graph of the historic PE ratios for the S&P 500 great. As you can see the market is slightly up at the moment. As it's a simple ratio (P/E), it's independent of inflation.

I bought a lot of stocks during covid. I doubled, trebled money on them. I think it pays to sit on your hands and be very patient. A lot of day traders are driving up prices. Eventually the market will overcorrect itself. This will be a good time to buy.

"S&P 500 PE Ratio - 90 Year Historical Chart"

S&P 500 PE Ratio - 90 Year Historical Chart | MacroTrends

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FocusST

Is that ratio not being massively distorted by a small number of companies like Meta and Nvidia trading at 100 or more of P/E while others are at more reasonable levels?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But other companies have hit those type of P/E ratios previously up above 170 (Coca Cola for example) as well; there's often some fad companies that drive it high in various periods.

High P/E ratios are often justified where companies have high growth with good cash flows and returns on investment. They may seem over priced compared to other lower P/E companies, but long-term they will return a lot more. Apple for example is just swimming in cash.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

LUCID stock is hitting its all-time low. The profits I gained from other stocks are helping to counterbalance the losses from LUCID. Is there anyone here who still has faith in LUCID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 sflynn6

I've been investing in european companies with a good dividend - Novo Nordisk , siemens and volkswagen. It's gone well. I am thinking now of looking at companies using hydrogen as an energy source. There was a big find in france recently of natural hydrogen and I think maybe this could be the stimulus hydrogen cars need to gain traction in Europe. I know that Toyota already produce hydrogen cars but I'm looking for European companies that would benefit if this technology takes off.

Sounds like a very long, relatively risky play. Grant money will have to flow heavily, alongside a political will. Whats your outlook on VW? Are you sticking with them?

Post edited by FocusST on

On VW....I am sticking with them. I only bought in last November, my research suggested that there is value here. They have had a pretty horrific few years but the worst is behind them or priced in. Some or their top people are due to retire too leaving room for new ideas as well. But I am primarily there for the dividend which I think is quite good, if a bit of capital appreciation comes with that .... Then great.

I'm just researching the hydrogen idea at the moment... nothing might come of it. But I am going to drill into it a bit more.

With VW I'd be more concerned about competition from China rather than the internal dynamics. They'll be competing with companies backed by the CCP that can operate on lower margins and have zero issues using and abusing customer data.

What are people's thoughts on Flutter? Launching stateside Monday, they could be a good one to buy in on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Vodafone have fallen a lot, now about 75 pence.

The div last year was over 7 pence.

Does anybody have any opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ctomas

Had a great 2023 but realise it’s all really down to 1 stock performance (SMCI) and the rest didn’t do a whole lot.

Focus this year is to see some green shoots in the other holdings, main ones being:

Axos Financial- being holding for a few years now and they continue to grow but share price not really moving as there is plenty of negatively about smaller baking stocks

Crocs- just bought in here so will learn a bit more on this one and see if the Hey Dude brand will return to growth after was seemed like an over stock issue.

Kingspan - I’m a bit worried that the top leaders of the company are more focused on themselves than the shareholders. Expect to see a return to growth here.

Smurfit Kappa - similar concerns re mgmt for these. The merger/ acquisition seems more to elevate themselves than shareholder value.

Lending club- on of the riskier plays but expecting some big improvements in earnings now that interest rates have stopped rising.

Cochlear - more of the same, my oldest holding from 2012 and ticks away nicely

Southern Cross Electrical Eng - smallest market cap holding. Expect to see a continued decent dividend but hopefully a big acquisition on the cards as it’s holding a lot of cash for a while now and has being hinting at it.

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Your right , it's been going too well. I have been reasonably conservative , only solid companies , purely looking for the dividend but the gains are now 30% since November. Maybe we are in the start of a melt-up period ( before the meltdown). If thats the case then I will hold on for another while but try not to be too greedy.

If there is a meltdown though , stop losses will be no good - it will fall right through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sounds like you need to make a decision and stick with it without regret. No one can do that for you.

I'm big on Helium this year. Helium One are expecting results shortly. But beware if it's good news it will take off (like Helium) but if not expect the price to bomb (unlike Helium).

For my safe plays I am in Enbridge and Canadian Pacific Kansas City. For a bit more of a punt I'm in Air Lease and Draftkings.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭notsocutehoor

META up around 17% pre-market, AMZN up around 7%

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ShammyBajones

So talk of Facebooks demise were greatly exaggerated.

Meta up 20% now. Some jump in one day, for such a big company.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭notsocutehoor

And the Nvidia juggernaut keeps rolling, up nearly 40% in the last month, something will have to give at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Hi I have 30k to invest ..What would you suggest , ideally to make a quick turnover. Havent a clue about shares !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyone offering you a quick turnover is trying to scam you; why would they offer and/or sell you the magical quick win rather than use it themselves? Don't get yourself scammed; stocks is for a time horizon of saving at least 5+ years only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

100%, the best piece of advice. Never "invest" in something you don't know anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Fair point thanks guys. I understand all that, by quick I mean not a 20/30 year return, I mean less than ~10 years return…. What’s hot what’s not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭crushproof

Wild, I jumped on late in the game but I'm still up 60%. Still has legs I reckon, up to $800 in no time I'd say!

I remember following the market in 2018/19 and people saying a recession had to happen, how the market couldn't just keep going up.

And it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

A pandemic?

Not really related to a soaring stock market in the previous years.

February 2019 - February 2020 the market rose 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

The results were good for Helium One. Went up over 100% on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭crushproof

Great shout, do you have much in them? Crazy rise since the start of the year.... 888%!

• Advertisement
Advertisement