Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2024

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Fairplay - you are in a nice position!

Nobody ever went broke by taking a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I think long term you will make money but wouldn't be surprised if Tesla falls to $100 this year, you don't need to sell but I'd buy some puts for downside protection

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I did sell nearly everything before the market opened apart from FSLR which i think is going to be a huge winner at the slightest hint of a rate drop, if it drops to around $152'ish again i'll be doubling down.

If Iran attacks Israel this weekend the market could really drop, if not, i may have proverbially pulled my trigger too soon. I reckon there's sideways at best for a while so happy to sit in T212 earning interest on uninvested funds until direction becomes clear..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Anyone find that some companies simply evade them when it comes to making a successful trade ?

I can make money for fun trading Tesla ( going long or short) but could never make a bean trading META , believe it or not despite its incredible run , I can't make money trading NVIDIA options, very light volume of options for that company and the spread is always very wide

I used to trade like that, always trying to time bottoms only to see the stock go further down. Far more easy to time times, find a stock that's going up and buy before its rsi is topping out, much less stress following winners.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

I only trade with fun money, plus I trade options more than stocks , NVIDIA options are a complete waste of time due to lack of liquidity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Nice work. I have similar feelings but am very much a neophyte.

Maybe a silly question, but how much cash are you comfortable keeping in T212? I have maybe 3k sitting there with a small portfolio of a few grand, in 3 investment trusts. It's basically a 'training account' while I feel my way into the investment world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any thought on Starbucks (SBUX). Currently trading at 22 times cash flow.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

is that a long term plan or are ya trying to time the market?

• Advertisement

Time the market obviously!

Trigger warning: The market has been going sideways for a bit after a a huge Q1, gold is spiking in price, the middle east is hotting up, in my opinion best case scenario from here is small gain or sideways for the next month or so, but a greater risk of downside.

I can park my funds in T212 and earn interest risk free, opportunity cost is low therefore. Ordinarily I wouldn't try to time the market and just follow the trend, but at times like these the warning klaxons are sounding for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Would ya not trigger a big CGT event goign all cash? I hear ya about the impeding doom, but having to give so much to the taxman always deters me from giving up the compunding effect.

If I'm up 50%, and go all cash, then I'm giving a third of that 50% gain (17%) to the taxman, so I only have ~83% of my money to go to cash. I'd need a 17% pullback in equities make it worth my while. I'm not confident enough in that drop TBH

Sadly I'm not anywhere near 50%, more like 15% but I get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hope anyone holding Semi Conductor stocks got out before today.... Yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Just a bit of a breather considering how for up they've run.

ASML results kicked off the drop, TSM's in a half hours time will decide whether it continues.

I got back in yesterday.

Looks like new funds for Ukraine from the US will be passed this Saturday.

More the US support Ukraine the more I think Xi will think twice about Taiwan and thus semiconductor stocks there. Could be a tech bounce if the bill passes this weekend which its looking like it will.

Also the Feb 23rd SPY gap was closed this afternoon for a nice 5% dip.

Iran's response has so far been muted to Israels bombs last night (though some think they were just testing defences before the main show, hope not).

I bought some ATT and JAM today, just dipping my toes in the water tentatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tesla now down 50% from it's peak. Crazy how people got so caught up in the hype. Even now the PE is a high 60.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Ai stocks certainly got over hyped along with selected tech stocks.

Almost good to see the market get back to reality. Some excellent stocks brought down with the general sentiment. Apple looks very attractive.

Next week is the start of q1 earnings. It's going to be very interesting.

S&P 500 now down over 5% this month.

If earnings aren't good, we may start approaching the 10% required for it to be considered a correction.

That's when people at my office usually start talking about moving their pension funds to cash 🤣

Less than a half hour to what they're saying is Tesla's most important earnings release and conference call to date.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing they miss earnings. Or sell some their bitcoin cover up the headline loss like 2021'

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭notsocutehoor

wild tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anyone looking at Intel? Seems to nice entry point right now, surely bound to catch up with the competitors over the coming years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on your horizon I guess, Intel is imo at least five years away (third new generation from today) to catch up and that's assuming they have the turn around in the works right now (which I doubt). They have been very lazy for so long now and simply pumped more power into existing design of chips that AMD not only caught up but has a significant design advantage over them to the point that companies start to switch their processors (and once they switch they don't come back). Basically Intel needs to go back to the drawing board for a brand new design rather than some minor tweaking of existing processors which has been their bread and butter for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Once Intel foundry starts to pick up steam in a few years they will rebound very strong.

The desktop processor market is stagnating, and mobile/laptop will be all ARM/RISC-V so both AMD and Intel need to shift away from x86 which has been the foundation of boths business.

The server market is seeing a big shift towards AI processing also, so AMD and Intel's conventional offering start to look less attractive unless you have special AI chips as part of your server processors. The server market is anyone's game in the next 5 years, and ultimately that's where the big money is. Consumer is peanuts compared to enterprise market.

From foundry POV, TSMCs dominance will slowly start to wane - their new US foundries are plagued with problems, most of their dominance of the market is due to Taiwanese working culture which is insane (work work work). This doesn't really fly outside Taiwan, so their attempts to diversify outside of Taiwan (for geopolitical reasons) won't see the same success or production capabilities as inside taiwan

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Almost 10% drop today so hope you held off. Should be a good long term hold though. The foundry development should bring a change of fortunes.

Advertisement