Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭DrPsychia

Would you DM me the name of the company please. Looks great. I'd get it without the battery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

From the now deleted link, I recall that they're Limerick based, they have a Limerick landlline no. on their website and pictures of fully branded vans with the phone nos on the side. No business address on the website, though the company is registered to a residential address not far from Ballysimon, where a Google search shows the business based in an industrial park, near a big fireplace seller.

There's a few reviews on their own website, the company is only on the register since last June. There's a UK company of the same name based in a rural yard, I don't know if there's any connection. If they're SEAI approved, you'd expect legitimacy at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I've got another quote (below) for 11500 before grant. It looks to be better value than the first one I got (12 panels and battery for 12900. Fido_dido, your quote seems excellent. I wonder are there drawbacks to such a low price. I hope not!!

My new quote (11500 euro)

Solar Panels

Jinko

7.830 kW Total Solar Power

18 x 435 Watt Panels (JKM435N-54HL4R-B)

5,726 kWh per year

Inverter

Solis

5 kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

Battery

Weco

5.3 kWh Total Battery Storage

1 x W5K3XPLV

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paddym88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

@paddym88 I asked an installer about the need for a battery given how good the tariffs are to sell back to the grid. He said that the battery would speed up the return on investment and help with avoiding more expensive provider rates. The providers own website has a page saying how the need for a battery is worth questioning.

In my most recent quote, the battery only added 1500 to the total. The 18 panels with no battery was 10,001 euro.

All before grant for me (not eligible)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paddym88

After getting a good few quotes and narrowed it down to the 2 below. Neither includes battery or Eddie. Both quotes are similar except for panels and inverter used and also price. Wife works from home so there is always someone in the house. Would ye think it would be best to go with battery or is it worth it if have someone at home throughout the day. B

Quote 1:

16no 430W Jinko N-Type PV Panels, 30 year performance warranty, 25 year product warranty- 6.88kW system

1no 5kW Solis hybrid Invertor

Van Der Valk mounting system as required

1no shunt/fireman switch

Installation of Solis 24 hour monitoring app

All ESB & Safe Electric commissioning reports & certificates

All SEAI Grant application paperwork

Post BER included

Price: €7800

Quote 2:

16no Jinko 435 watt panels 30 year performance warranty, 25 year product warranty

1no 5kw Huawei Sun2000 5KTL- L1 inverter

Van Der Valk mounting system

Installation of monitoring app

Fireman Switch

Seai Grant application

All electrical certificates

Ber included

Price : €6900

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Quote 2 looks good, prices here and there seem to becoming more realistic lately.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭id.4 fan

Hi all, I’ve had around 5 installers call to my home to give me quotes for a 12 panel 5.2kw system and I’m wondering am I getting a fair price on the following system:

It’s costing me €12k net after grant. The installers maintains I will need 12 optimizers for max efficiency as my 3 roof tops are facing different directions. South- South West- South East.

Everything included in the installation except the BER.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As you have 5 quotes, how did they compare with each other.

More awkward roofs will be more expensive.. even with optimisers on every panel it's pushing 2x what the rough calculation gives (link on the first post)

• Advertisement

All 5 quotes varied, all net of grant:

Some of the installers seem to be gobbling up the grant and still overcharging!

Quote 1: €15K with 10KW battery

Quote 2: €13K with 10KW battery

Quote 3: €10 with 5KW battery(also Eddie))

Quote 4: €8.5K with no battery

Quote 5: €12K with 10KW battery

Looks like the battery is crippling the quote and the need for optimizers to a lesser extent.

Post edited by id.4 fan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Galway based.
    Local supplier and easy to reach. Been installing a couple of years at this stage.

6.88 kW System Size

16 x Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4 410- 430 Watt panels (15 Year Product Warranty & 30 Year Linear Performance Warranty)

Inverter: SOLIS Hybrid - RHI-5K-48ES-5G (5.0 -year Standard Warranty) installed with changeover switch in case of grid outage.

Battery: Dyness 10.24 kWh Total Battery ( 2 x BX51100) - these added €1500 each to my quote. 

3.68 kW, Single Phase Eco-Smart Energy Diverter 1 x Eddi (this added €500 to my quote)
    1 x BER assessment

€13,100 before grant
    €11,000 after grant. (This is what I pay - company takes the grant back direct).

Average use is 14.5KwH per day at home here. I work from home most days so daytime usage is probably higher than average.

if I were to remove the batteries and eddi it would reduce by €3500. I think I will go with them to help balance out winter months and also useful in case of power cuts which have badly affected us recently with the storms.

Any feedback very welcome thanks a mil.

Looks like a good price!

I’m gonna haggle with quote 5 and see can I get him down to at least €11k. If not I’ll keep shopping around.

I think there are a number of factors working against me here. The extra roofing, the premium branded Huawei gear, seasonal timing of the install and the fact that some of the installers are still trying to take the proverbial piss with their prices.

I can see now Solar installs are one of the few things in Ireland that are actually coming down in price 👍

I wouldn't say Huawei are premium branded.

No more premium than any other inverter mentioned here.

SMA, Fronius I'd class as premium brands

4 of the 5 installers I used all used Huawei gear in their own homes so I was just presuming if they’re using them they must be premium plus the fact that Huawei already has a favorable repute in the electronics market ie.phone, tablets etc etc

I just made an counter offer of €11k for quote 5 and I’m waiting for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭ted1

During the summer you sell for 21c/kwh

You then Charge your battery during boost rate at around 10c/kwh

so the difference between the 2 in the summer is 11c/kwh.

But in the winter when you are not producing as much and having to import. the difference between charging the battery at night and not having to import at day rate is 25c/kwh,

so batteries can pay for themselves fast

Just to clarify, the Huawei inverters are good, but they are on par with the rest, sofar, solis, sunsynk, etc.

They would not be considered a premium brand, some of the lowest quotes I've seen was Huawei and they were in some of the highest quotes too.

They do have good availability as kellihers electrical now stock them.

It’s the quality of the battery I’m more concerned about than the inverter, The Huawei batteries definitely look more premium than most I’ve seen plus they run in parallel instead of series and imo this is a better setup but that’s just my opinion.

I’ve heard a few stories about other battery manufacturers not standing by their warranties and I just couldn’t see this being a problem with a company like Huawei.

Anyhow, the installer just got back to me and said he would accept €11k for quote 5. Just goes to show there is room for bargaining with these guys!

I’m happy enough to go with this price considering my setup isn’t straight forward.

Happy days. If you get on well and the installer isn't on the list PM me with the name and I'll put them on the list.

Although by the way just to clear this up, nearly all batteries are put in parallel, I know the weco batteries has a high voltage mode that they can be put in series, but I don't know what inverter supports them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

PV novice here.

can a reputable electrical contractor carry out an installation if they major components are purchased by the customer?

Thats no issue at all.
    other than the grant, there is another catch too :

The supply and fit of a solar install is at 0% VAT but if you bought it yourself you would be paying 23% VAT.

Thanks for the response.

I guess it boils down to what can be achieved versus the outlay.

I Suppose that buying materials yourself would lead to a better cash deal scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

What do people make of this offer? Sigenergy system is also setup for v2h bidirectional system for compatible EV's down the line

How does it compare with other quotes you've got? For a 5kWp ish system with a 8kWh battery?

When AI is mentioned the bull sh... Alarm goes off in my head for marketing * hand wave*

What would be the chances of you changing to an EV that has V2H, and getting the V2H charge point too? (Remember that isn't included in the quote either)

Also getting an aversion to cloud stuff, things done last forever anymore and what happens the inverter when the internet dies or the company shuts up shop?

KISS- keep it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

About €1200 more than the same system but with 5kWh Battery, so there or thereabouts. If I wanted to KISS I should buy a 30 year old car with wind up windows etc, rather than something modern over the last few changes?

I would definitely consider a v2h EV such as EV9. The potential to never again pull another unit that wasn't solar or off peak is very appealing tbh. For a system that will take 5+ years to payback and hopefully run for many more I think a bit of futureproofing is a good idea. Obviously that's not included in the price but can be added easily down the line due to the modular design. Who knows what way the electricity market will go the way the world is right now? A couple of years ago the UK was facing planned power cuts due to shortages.

Not too bad of a premium for it. Especially when they include a full changeover. I dare say the changeover work is worth the extra cost.

Does the EV6 have v2H/v2G? I know it has v2load which is very different (basically is a generator), the sunsynk inverters have an aux input which allows a generator input.

But a good few of us are running on night rate with some able to run on 3hrs at 5c.

There isn't many v2H/G charge points on the market yet, the ones that are very expensive.

Things I'd pay attention to is

Amount of panels,

Charge/discharge rate to and from the battery,

Battery size,

Changeover switch

The what I don't put a value on is the AI stuff and the v2G as it's still vapourware at this point in time.

And also being able to work without the app. Apps are a bonus but it shouldn't require it.

The inverter should be there for 20+ years all being well.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SodiumCooled

If you are going this route get the electrician to buy the panels + other equipment and price the full job supply and install and he can 0% rate the everything.

That being said I was looking at going down this route with my electrician and in the end it was more hassle and probably would have saved little. You also need a roofer, there is a lot more work for the roofer than the electrician in a solar install. The roofer likely won’t be used to it so will take longer - same for the electrician. Overall it made more sense to go with an establish solar company after I sat down and thought it all through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pacman114

Hi all, any comments on the below system or price? Thanks in advance

4.35kW system (10 panels)

The following would be included:

10x Jinko 435w Panels

Projoy Fire Safety switch

Van Der Valk mounting system

Solis 5kW hybrid inverter

All necessary ancillary equipment

Fully installed and commissioned

SEAI Grant paperwork included

BER assessment included

Safe electric certification

Initial cost €7,000 (VAT is @0% for all domestic installations)

Grant of €2,100

Net cost €4,900

Advertisement