Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Seems a very good quote, wouldn't mind knowing who the installer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for this.

One installer was very pro panels (he said we could get 20 installed, split between East and West roofs.

The other I'm looking at is saying 18 panels and a 5.3kWh battery.

I'll update the spreadsheet to see who is offering better value.

The Jeremy Clarkson attitude in me says more power (more panels).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mario101

Reading through this I was just wonderiing: Is victron not a top brand anymore?

New memeber, just trying to figure stuff out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael1927

Can I ask what the opinion on the supply of different types of panels is and does it make much difference when deciding on a company to go with. I live in the Northwest near the coast. Are Glass Glass panels a necessity over others?

Company is A is supplying 14 x Luxor Solar LX 420M panels which are glass glass. + Solax Power X1-HYBRID-5.0 inverter. Total cost after grant €7695

Battery would be an additional €1950 for SolaX 3kW - EDDI would be an additional €595

OR

Company B is supplying 14 x 430w Jinko Solar panels Monocrystalline = 6.0kwp system. + 1x solis hybrid inverter + Dyness battery. Total cost €8100 after grant.

Or without EDDI €7750.

Should I go for company B and get a better price with battery, I don't think I need the EDDI, or should I be going for glass glass panels?

Any advice would be appreciated? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Hi, basic cost question here, I have no detail of the specifics of the parts to be supplied.

Quotation for 2kw system (5 panels, roof space limited without any options to locate elsewhere), 2.4kw battery, inverter etc etc.

7500 inclusive of grant.

Expensive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Panels are just panels basically. As long as it's a reputable brand, there's really nothing in the difference between the various manufacturers, other than price. You might get a better degregation over 25 years of 1-2% with one brand over another, but honestly, it doesn't matter. In 25 years panels will be more efficient, so go with the cheapest kwp/€ now. I can't speak directly to glass itself, but think it's a bit of marketing hype - but maybe I'm wrong.

Eddi is a personal choice. In todays electricity supply market an EDDI will never make you money. That's right, you will NEVER make any savings with an Eddi. Why? Well if you night rate electricity is say €0.10/unit, and your export FIT payment is €0.20/unit - it just makes more sense to heat your water on night time rate and export the leccie you make during the day and get paid more for it than heating the water. That said, it's not all about money. I bought my Eddi at a different time before FIT, and I still use mine as it was intended….and electricity rates may change. We may not have these good FIT rates or cheap night time forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

So it's 9250 (without grant) for 5 panels and half a battery? I would run 5 miles from whoever gave you this quote. We've seen some cowboy quotes here, but this one really takes the biscuit.

Try plugging that into the David hunt calculator which is a good starting point when getting quotes.

Get lots of quotes to help you decide.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

It's 7500 before grant, 5900 net cost to me, I badly worded that!

Still seems expensive and David hunt calculator says so too.

Is it generally the case that smaller installations are more expensive per kW due to their small size?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael1927

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Seems like a reasonable quote from a local installer with good reviews. I know they have done some other houses nearby as well. Davidhunt.ie gives it the thumbs up from a cost perspective.

Any concerns about equipment?

17 x Trina 440w

Huawei Inverter

4x optimiser

K2 mounting

Eddi

Ber included.

Coming in at just over 8k after Vat.

5kW Battery option little over 3.5k seems a bit steep hadn't really intended going for this at this point in time anyway, I guess this a downside of the proprietary nature of the Huawei tech stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 particia16124

Hi first time commenter long time reader,

Looking for help with companies in my area,

Finding a good few companies done want to touch my roof (blue Bangor slates) and the ones that do (4 so far out of 9) are averaging 8k for 10 panels 435w, water heater and no battery,

Calculator says it's 2k over, I don't was to pay premium if possible

Any way I'm in centre Louth area, looking for any help with companies you would recommend, have tried a lot of what's already posted

Looks to be a solid quote. Do you really need the Eddi?

If you join the Facebook group with 55k members, you will get great advice on quotes and naming of actual companies that is not allowed on boards.

Both websites were a great help when I was researching solar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

What brand is this? Ad pictures all low res.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Metalpanic

Looks like a Huawei inverter with a sticker on the top. Maybe the installer adding branding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

Of course, you're right. They were advertising 8 panels system starting €5500 on adverts.ie, very neat installation images. Based in Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for sharing, they are good quotes. My brother in law got a quote for a similar system for €13k after grant. When I showed him your post and he showed it to his installer, they magically dropped their quote to about €8k

Advertisement