Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Michael1927

Thanks for you advice. I definitely have the room for up to 18 panels as my roof is east west facing. Lots of light all day. My budget of around 8 - 8,500k is what's keeping me at around 14 - 16 panels, EDDI but no battery.

I did discover that the contractor who quoted me for 16 panels is not on the SEAI website. He gave me a price to pay after the grant and said they would look after all the paperwork. I've checked and he's not SEAI registered for solar installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Ask him if trading under a different name, I know my installation company went by a different name on the SEAI website.

BTW using 380w panels these days would also raise a concern for me, they are obviously years old stock.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SeanieRetrofitter

Just a tip for anyone looking for a quote. I saved about 25% on the next lowest quote by putting a post on the local Facebook page saying "Hey, has anyone got solar who can make a recommendation". It turned my solar install from "maybe-probably in a few months" to "as soon as you can get here with the panels.

The installer is SEAI approved, and all's good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mjatkey

All, firstly I want to say how useful and informative Boards is and that’s down to you guys and the depth of your combined knowledge and experience.

In the last 3 or 4 weeks I've read nearly everything on Boards in anyway related to solar pv.

This has led me to booking one of 3 companies that did site visits, it was tough making a decision as the final two were very close in both price and presentation.

We are going for:

12 × 435W LONGi Solar Hi-MO 6 Scientists, 8 on front true south facing roof (max we can fit) and 4 on the north facing roof. (may increase that on day of install to 8 based on my readings of the north facing panels piece here on Boards).

1 × Solis S6-EH1P5K-L-EU 5000W Hybrid inverter, any comments on the series 6 compared to the series 5?

1 × WeCo 5K3-LV-5.2 Battery

Cost with grant <€8000 (for the 12 panels, additional on the day €180 each)

Now I’ve asked the company a whole heap of questions, most of which they have answered ok.

What I was looking for was advice regarding switching from 24hr to TOU electric contract.

We have smart meter on 24hr contract with Electric Ireland due for renewal next month, I've already negotiated 22% discount from the 18% they were offering existing customers, but was wondering should I consider moving to TOU.

Electric Ireland's smart deals don’t look that great and I don't like the big difference between their day and peak rates. (I know in theory that we should be able to smooth the peaks with the PV/battery) but the lower the difference the happier I'd be.

Energia have what looks the best (dual fuel smart plan where the day and peak rate difference is small) so I am looking to switch to them.

I’m assuming you can’t constantly charge and discharge during the night where you are buying electric at €0.16 and selling at €0.24, so would I be better with one of the tariffs that have the ultra low EV rates for just a few hours.

I assume a 5Kw battery will easily charge to full in three hours (providing the house load is not massive)?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14 M1andM2

Hi folks,

These posts are mighty for information so fair play to all. Narrowing down to 2 companies and looking for feedback on one quote please:

Panels: Jinko 20 x 420-GR (8.40kW)

Inverter:1 x GivEnergy 5.0 Gen3 Hybrid

Battery: GivEnergy 9.5kW Gen2

Quote: €12,100

Grant: Not applicable (new build nearing completion)

Deposit: 75% (not challenged yet, company has been mentioned positively but still very high)

Thoughts?

Post edited by M1andM2 on

• Advertisement

After what happened to Solarshare and all the people who basically had their deposits stolen, there is no way I would pay a company that kind of deposit, its outrageous.

You dont mention pre or post grant or no grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 M1andM2

Hi Keno,
    sorry I forgot to include. It’s a new build so no grant applied.

Yes I have to ask them about the deposit if I decide to go with, don’t mind 20% ballpark but not 75%, I think it would be a no if they insisted on it.
    Thanks

Ok, the quote seems good. The price is in the ballpark that I was quoted for a similar system and I thought it was very competitive at the time.

If your on the facebook group with 56k members, you can do a search or ask about the particular company over there. Its an excellent source of info, just be very wary of that deposit. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

QUOTE1

14 Panel PV System - 430 Watt Panel - 6.02kW System. Longi panels

Upgrade to Hybrid Inverter and 5kWh battery with Off-Grid Socket. Battery is Ergocell 5.12KWh. Hybrid Inverter is EC 5000

Additional Roofs System Size: 09-14 panel

Additional DC shunt

No EDDI

Total Pre-Grant : €13,030

Total After Grant : €10,930

QUOTE2

18 Panel PV System - 430 Watt Panel - 7.74kW System. Longi panels

Upgrade to Hybrid Inverter and 5kWh battery with Off-Grid Socket. Battery is Ergocell 5.12KWh. Hybrid Inverter is EC 5000

Additional Roofs System Size: 15-19 Panel

Additional DC shunt

No EDDI

Total Pre-Grant : €14,525

Total After Grant : €12,425

Thoughts please? New to this . Have started getting some initial quotes. Above seems expensive to me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 usernamecharlie

Can I get the name of the company the quoted you please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Thinking I can do better but this is so far the keenest quote offered by anyone I've priced

18 400 kw Jinko panels

Huawei inverter

Total 9k , that's if I don't bother with grant and pay him half of it in cash notes

No battery and no EDDI, he says I don't need one , that some thing you link up with the immersion will do ?

Why doesn't he want you to bother with the grant?

Sounds like you should run quick if he wants half cash for such a big investment. Google what happened to Solarshare customers.

Paying him cash for the Labour makes no difference to me and if it means a better deal, great

The grant just results in companies jacking up the price as they know the customer will be getting back €2100

His price of 9k is too expensive anyway, I'd consider 8k the max for eighteen 400 Jinko panels, Huawei inverter, no battery and no Eddi

or 10 k if you want to go the grant route

Unless something pops up , I'm postponing for a year , prices will come back as everyone wants at it right now

Compared to the half dozen quotes I've received, it's very good

None of those quotes are particularly keen, albeit not extortionate relative to what I've encountered

Why would you think demand will reduce going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Another quote from a different provider today

Quote 1

17 x 435 watt panels (Trina Solar)

Inverter : 5kw Huawei 1XSun2000-5KTL

No battery

No EDDI

Total pre-grant : 9350

Total after grant : 7250

Quote 2

17 x 435 watt panels (Trina Solar)

Inverter : 5kw Huawei 1XSun2000-5KTL

Battery : 5kw Huawei 1xLuna2000-5-S0

No EDDI

Total pre-grant : 12250

Total after grant : 10150

Provider is recommending the quote without the battery. His logic is that I will return enough to the grid during the summer, that it will offset my winter bills, meaning my annual electricity bills would net close to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭conor_mc

the real earner/saver of a battery is an EV tariff and sufficient capacity to avoid peak rate consumption from the grid.

First one is great and I'd love to know who it's from

• Advertisement

How much cheaper are Trina panels than Jinko?

Got what looks like an excellent quote this morning

Seventeen 435 panels

5k Huawei inverter

Eddi

BER

No battery

€9700 before grant

€7600 after grant

Salesman was an uncouth grunt but the price looks very appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That looks pretty sweet deal. 7.35Kwp with Eddi for €7,600 after grant is excellent. Do you know if it's a hybrid inverter? Also, be aware that if you go Huawei you are pretty much locked into a Huawei battery if you did go/want one down the road.

Only hesitation I have is the company appears to be relatively small, can't find much about them

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi Guys,

What do you think of this quote ?

•    10 x 430w panels  
    •    Hybrid inverter 
    •    My Energi hot water diverter  
    •    Roof mounting equipment 
    •    All labour works
    •    All electrical testing and commissioning 
    •    Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing
    •    BER

RRP
    €   8,000.00           Cost. 0% VAT Offer
    €   2,100.00           SEAI Grant
    €   5,900.00           Final Cost.

Why dont you just use the davidhunt calculator to start with, to get an idea http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, update now considering this quote same company.

Way I see it is if we are getting work done then get most we can afford while the guys are onsite.

16 × 435W LONGi Solar Hi-MO 6 Scientists, 8 on front true south facing roof (max we can fit) and 8 on the north facing roof.

1 × Solis S6-EH1P5K-L-EU 5000W Hybrid inverter, any comments on the series 6 compared to the series 5?

2 × WeCo 5K3-LV-5.2 Battery

BER, etc.

Price €10,700 with grant.

Davidhunt:

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2100. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, and €300 for the BER, that should be about €11628 for that system (after grant). That's a fantastic quote, go for it!

I’m not sure that we will benefit/need the larger battery?

We are 3/4 adult family, 3 bed semi, low consumption <3000Kwh for last 12 months based on ESBN HDF data

Just looking for a second opinion or two?

Thanks

While your consumption is in the low range, be very aware that we are all being pushed to more electrical usage, EV's, Heat Pumps, IR heating(banning coal, wood, turf and even gas-coincidently all forms of power production that cannot be turned-off with a single switch) etc so your usage is never going to go down. While wholesale electric prices are trending down, at the moment, be assured that another mid-east or eastern euro conflict or even far-east war will be used to increase prices. Then you will be greatful that you have the ability to produce AND store cheap power

• Advertisement

gym_imposter, will you give them a large deposit?

Advertisement