Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭con747

It's worth the wait though knowing they didn't get to rip you off.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Hey folks

Hoping someone with experience can help me with choosing an installer here because I am struggling to make heads or tails because I feel like I'm getting differing information from the installers who are ringing.

So far I've gotten 3 quotes. For reference. I've 5 existing panels which I believe are about 325w panels. So inverter in the attic. I happen to have a MyEnergi Eddi device I got from a friend that I'm going to try get installed.

I'm looking to put up a max system which I believe is around the 5.5kw system and I've been getting quotes for panels. I wasn't sure if keeping the existing panels or replacing made sense but some installers won't quote to keep the existing.

Installer 1 and 2 said they would install the 13 panels around the existing 5 panels on my roof and install a second inverter in my attic and that it would be no problem. Installer 3 said they flat out would NEVER do that, that 2 inverters will cause problems with both trying to feed back into the smart meter and would cause problems down the line.

Installers 1 and 2 basically said that batteries were pointless in my scenario, that getting 22c back from the system is better option and the ROI would be too long.

Installer 3 said they won't install without a battery, refused flat out to quote without one. Called the other installers cowboys for not insisting on a battery.

Installers 1 and 2 offer BER cert recertification covered in cost. Installer 3 says they won't do that because best practices is for BER to be independent so they don't quote or deal with that aspect.

Installer 1

13 panels -    €8,432 (installing our eddi so has warranty)
    13 panels -    €7,897 (installing your eddi)

17 panels -    €10,882 (installing our eddi)
    17 panels -    €10,337 (installing your eddi so has warranty)

They claim grant on my behalf.

Installer 2

13 panels - 10,100 (before grant 2100) so 8,000 it seems and said they would install my Eddi device. Have to claim the money back for grant myself.

Installer 3

16 panels - Hasn't submitted official quote but said about 12-13k. But included 5kw battery

Question that I don't really understand

Is a 5kw battery actually worth it?

Is having 2 inverters eventually a problem?

Is paying more to get all the same panels better other than warranty covering all panels instead of missing my older 5?

The 3rd installer said they would leave the inverter and old panels with me to sell, is it even worth it? Would you get anything worth getting back for them?

Is it ACTUALLY best practice to not cover the BER certification which is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Installer 1 👍

Installer 2 too expensive

Installer 3, just walk away.

At least, get on to a non-smart Day & Night tariff so that you can heat your water at night by cheap timer, the Eddi is nice but very expensive for what it does and in hindsight, I would not install it.

And again, In hindsight, I would not now install a battery, get the best CEG export rate you can and export all surplus to the grid ('grid battery'). (but be careful of exorbitant standing charges!). Though it might be worth to get a hybrid inverter in case you do decide to add a battery later.

You'll get different advice from others on here of course but that's my 2c.

Regardless, make sure you 100% trust your installer and build up a good relationship with them cos there will be some snags and short-term support needed. Oh, and get them to explain the system to you until you're satisfied!

Good luck and enjoy!

@Jonathan maybe move to quote thread?

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi folks

Anyone recommend someone to service solar tubes, about 10 years old, please

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I can't see the logic in not installing a battery, even if you system is not large you can still take advantage of cheap night rates to charge the battery and use at the peak morning rush. Even more so if you have a large system where you can charge the battery with the excess solar that you can't use/export anyway due to the 5Kw limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

it just won't pay for itself esp. now with CEG

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Ive been told by a few installers that due to our level of usage, we don't generate enough surplus to warrant a battery?

By the way that should read electricity rather than gas, typo by bord gais

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Main payback of a battery seems to come from overnight charging on an EV plan at 6-8c, displacing daytime usage at approximately 35-40c. Solar may keep it topped up as the day goes by, which would help the payback.

I'm on a flat unit rate of 24.8 c (with electric Ireland)so charging at night isn't any cheaper

Was on a plan with bord gais where EV charging between 2 am and 5 am was 11 cents but this was cancelled out by the 50 cent plus rate during the period of 5 pm to 8 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

But you are limited on export/usage with our 5kW inverter limit but you can have a larger system and charge the battery with excess above your 5kW to cover your peak evening usage and then charge at night at a really low rate to cover the morning

For a house that will be a heavy electricity user (as all modern homes will with A2W, MHVR, induction hobs and everything else) I can't see how a battery doesn't make sense - I was tempted to go for a 20kWh of batteries myself but I stuck with 10kWh for now as there are just a lot of expenses with a new build that would have made it a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

Thats when you should be using your battery! Fill it at 11cents and then assuming battery is large enough to at least cover the 5 to 8pm expensive time period! Pretty sure other providers have better EV rates and a fixed rate the rest of the day with no super expensive rate from 5 to 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭reggie3434

it’s more work a battery to have to charge,maintain and manage, can’t see the roi in it

I think a lot of people instinctively think it's a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well, I can tell you as a mid sized battery owner/user (8.4Kwh) for the last 2.5 year that there is virtually zero work in charging, maintain and managing it. I have mine set to charge to 100% every night on night rate - that's it. I'm done :-) Twice a year I change the charging/discharging times in the app to map to the winter/summer time when the hour changes, but thats about it. So I wouldn't use that as an argument to not get one.

On the flip side, that's not to say that I think a battery is right for everyone. Nope. You need to do the math. Before we had the lucrative FIT rates that we had today, I worked out that my payback time for a battery (for me, with my consumption) was about 5-6 years. With FIT, this has probably increased to 8-9 years. I'll still break even on a battery, but I'm able to cycle it at least once if not 1.2x times a day. Every day. I'm also a heavy user of leccie. One thing that I do enjoy is that it "earns" me about €30-40/month in savings due to not having to pay day rates (I work at home and lots of computers on)

Others, if you do the math may struggle to get payback/break even with a battery. But I'd advise you to also look at potential savings on different plans. Day/night, even smart plans can be VERY lucrative with the right hardware in place. A few people on this form are actually getting effectively free electricity by use of a battery, so it's not a simple yes/no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SeanieRetrofitter

7kw array, including BER, no EDDI or battery, €7k. Very competitive quote IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭superd1978

Advice required please!!

I am very new to solar energy, and planning on having a system installed prior to the summer.Im wondering could I get some thoughts on the many many technologies and brands there seems to be available. Ive been given two quotes as follows:

1:

Panels: 12 x Leapton 480watt panels / 5.76kW total.

Inverter: Huawei 4.6kW

Battery: Huawei 5kW

Gaurantee: 25Years Panels / 10 Years Battery

Cost:10K Post grant reduction.

2:

Panels: 12 x QCells 415watts

Inverter: Afore - no further tech specs currently, but circa 5k I suspect.

Battery: Dyson - no further tech specs currently, but circa 5k I suspect.

Cost: 11K. Post grant reduction.

Gaurantee: 25Years Panels / 10 Years Battery

Im getting so many conflicting opinions, on German vs Chinese quality etc etc.... so trying to understand if theres actually much quality difference between what Ive outlined above, to justify spedning the extra 1000. I would assume all are high quality tier1 type technologies these days.. or maybe now!!

Are the prices in general pretty fair, I could I shop around for better?

Thanks all. Thoughts welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

Check Your Quote

When we are seeking a solar pv installation we think of: the number of panels; a hybrid or a string inverter; a battery; or a diverter. In addition optimisers might be needed.

Use the following to work out a price for negotiation with installers. There are different inverter and different panels etc. Which would make for variation.

10 Panels with standard inverter €5,400

Plus for hybrid inverter €500

Plus for each additional panel 1/2 €150

Plus for further additional panels €125

Plus for each optimiser if necessary €50

Plus for diverter €600

Plus for 5K battery €2,500

Plus for BER if included €250

At present panels seem to be at least 435w

Your total will be a gross price before grant and this is the amount you will be paying Installer.

If an Installer quote is far off these figures it is excessive.

There will be differing views as to these amounts, the intention is to assist people get the best value. The trajectory on prices is downwards, and the above will be amended from time to time.

Do not confine yourself to getting quotes from local installers, many operate Nationwide.

At an early stage you should seek clarification on deposit protection; and any additional costs as to: optimisers if required; earth rod issues etc.

The SEAI places an obligation on the Installer and Applicants for grants to enter into a Written Contract. Insist upon this as it is important for clarification in case of dispute.

Thanks for that. So is the battery being filled with solar or night rate (I get EV night rate 8c 2am-6am) got any value at all? Installer 3 was basically steadfast on without battery it's pointless. I guess if solar is strong during day I pay nothing, at night if the battery is filled with free or 8c electricity to try basically get to a 24hr scenario where the electricity I'm using costs at most, 8c?

Is the 2 inverters in the attic with 2 different types of panels ever an issue as he described? Like am I better paying more and getting everything the same? I can't really tell why I would get rid of the existing 5 if they work. So that's my biggest conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Looking at getting solar and ave a few quotes, just wondering is it worth €2000 for a 5Kw battery ??

• Advertisement

charge at 8c on an EV tariff, instead of paying 32c (minimum) during daytime, for say 4kWh per day at 80% depth of discharge. (.32-.8) x 4 €0.96 savings per day. 2k / 0.96 is about 5.7 years payback. Battery warranty probably 10 years, but could well last longer than that at <80% capacity. Tariff rates may vary. Also using daytime electricity at higher cost than a non-smart tariff will erode your savings. Solar charging will enhance them, but I’d consider that a bonus myself.

Depending on household usage I think 5kWh might be too small tbh, because a family will tip over the 5kWh into the more expensive day rates on EV tariffs. 10kWh at €4k could be better value, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Just to remember that you can charge that battery on the EV rate but the sun will also keep charging it again as you use it during the day so on most decent days you will most likely get 7-8kwh out of it.

Personally I think on a smaller system like mine a battery is vital to keep off the expensive day rates as it kicks in to help the load during the day whenever the solar isn't enough.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭deezell

Don't forget to factor in charge/discharge/inverter losses. You'll pay for 5 units to get 4 or less usable back at the plug.

fair point, that’s why I left solar charging as a bonus, it should at least net out against any daytime EV tariff usage and round-trip losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi All

Thanks for your feedback. I've accepted quote 1 (4.15kWp; €4,500 after grant; Cost per kWp: €1,082; Solar Panels: Jolywood NIWA Pro Series -JW-HD108N-415 (6nr panels south facing and 4nr east facing - I can't squeeze in any more); Inverter: Afore 5kW Hybrid HNS5000HS) with the system due to be installed before the end of the month. I had initially decided that I would park the idea of getting a battery until a later date, but I'm now reconsidering. The company I've gone with are quoting me €2350 to add on a 5kWh Sunwoda Energy MonaWall 5 battery. What's people's thoughts on: a) the cost?; b) this particular battery?; and c) the current general thinking around batteries?. I'm willing to dive into the whole grid shifting space with a battery assuming that it makes sense from a pay back perspective, and also assuming it will be reasonably easy for me to toggle with the settings of the battery - note I have no experience of working with batteries, inverters etc!

All feedback is welcome

Many thanks!

So I've been trying to get a few quotes and I'm wondering if Installer C's quotes here seem weirdly off to people?

First 4 quotes are Panels no Battery. The first 2 leave my existing 5 panels in place, the second to rip them down and full replace with all same panels.

The second set is with a battery. It seems 3k less than the other quotes with batteries and the first 2 battery quotes are 5kw, that last one the quote says 9.5kw.

How should I approach this. Don't want a cowboy installer, but I can't see how I turn down 16 fresh panels and a 9.5kw battery at that much cheaper than others.

Don't worry about stuff being made in china, vast majority of solar equipment is made there

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭deezell

Quote 1 for the value and RoI (wholesale unit rates only 8c, so how long before utilities cut retail, which means extra years to get your money back). Battery might never pay for itself if rates drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭con747

Price looks ok with or without battery but the battery is a little expensive so try haggle. Not familiar with the brands but a quick google doesn't bring up any red flags. I wouldn't be without batteries but that's because of a lot of power cuts and I can run the house off them in one. A rough guide to pricing here. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement