Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭deezell

Its not like filling and emptying a fuel can. There are significant losses on charge and discharge. If you operate the battery to its absolute max, the last kwh can take 1.5kwh to push in, it depends on the overhead built into the battery, i.e, is it a 6kw battery in reality, or a 5kwh which is specified to operate between a minimum discharge floor and a maximum charge ceiling. This can limit a 5kwh battery to a useful rangr of 3.6kwh, and you will buy perhaps 10 to 15% more than this to charge it, and will lose a certain % of this 3.6kw when using it during the day. It affects the sums significantly, and the projected savings, based as they are on a high daytime rate. You can get flat rate from BGE for 28c at the moment. You must also divide the battery cost by its lifetime kwh shifting capacity, to calculate the true cost of timeshifting a kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

The people utilising that rate that I know of on here have massive batteries so losses don't really come into it when you have a 30-40+ kwh battery most of which were diy batteries which cost a fraction of branded ones. They also get well rewarded by Pinergy (25c) I think but not 100% on that with the FIT rate offered for surplus they send back. I don't want to derail this thread anymore though with non quote posts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Round trip losses are about 20%, about 10% each time it's changed. The loss is linear, so for every 1kWh of ac you put in, only 900Wh goes to the battery.

But what can happen is the last few % (literally 98/99%) is when it gets to its charge voltage limit and the current does reduce.

Most batteries are also cycled to 15-20%.

A 15kWh battery (300ah) should be able to handle 200 amps easily. More or less comes out in the wash for 5kW inverter, 15kwh battery,

Derailing the quotes thread a bit, if more discussion is wanted I'll spin it out into a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Thanks.

Is my original post about my own quote decent now we are finished chatting about my friend and his big battery 😆

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Haha, yes. Back on track.

6000kWh a year is probably correct, you can double check it here (it's pretty accurate, some months you beat it, some months you don't, that's weather for you!)

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

As for price, yeah it's good, if counting 7kWp your hitting the €1000/kwp with 1300 for the battery.

• Advertisement

Do I detect Battery envy? Don't worry, guys with smaller batteries are happy people 😉.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Got another quote today.

11 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 4.785 kWp)

Huawei Sun 2000 5KLT inverter

BER

€6600

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Cancelled my purchase from that major player in the sector, phoned up to check my registered cancellation letter arrived, let's just say they don't exactly sound pleased when you cancel, no dice when I requested email confirmation

" The refund process is through the rep"

On a different note, can someone please put up that link with the details of the person who purchased all of the equipment for under 5k , I'm nearly certain I will buy the equipment, pay a roofer and electrician and not bother with grant

This is one quote, just over 5K, with the chosen panels, some are ~ €10 cheaper. Once you do up a quote, you could ring them, look for a discount fir upfront payment, or perhaps they have other clearance panels etc.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:e3557948-86db-464f-b3c4-53ce7dc9fd36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms bean counter

Hi there, we just got a quote for €12,209 for 20 panels and EV charger for a bungalow in Meath. This is before any grants.

Solar Panels

Trina Solar Co., Ltd.

8.600 kW Total Solar Power

20 x 430 Watt Panels (TSM-430DE09R.B5)

7,019 kWh per year

Inverter

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

5.000 kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x SUN2000-5KTL-L1

Smart Power Sensor

Smart Power Sensor

1 x Huawei Power Meter

Tigo Optimizer

Tigo Optimizer

4 x Tigo Optimizer

Shunt (Fireman Safety Switch)

Fireman Safety Switch

2 x Shunt

S-flex Tile Mounting

Tile Mounting

1 x Sflex Tile mounting

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

Hot Water Diverter

1 x MyEnergi Eddi

Electrical Cabling and Components

Electrical Cabling and Components

1 x Electrical Cabling and Components

BER

Post Install BER

1 x BER

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Using DavidHunt.ie/solar/ gives

Even using Huawei Inverter (more expensive than most others) BUT you are limited to using Huawei/Luna batteries which again are more expensive.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

They are quick to take the money but very reluctant to give it back as my neighbour found out after weeks chasing them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

whats a decent going rate for additional panels, im seeing quotes from 300-450

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms bean counter

Hi, great thanks. There's no Eddy included as we only have any electric shower and done use much hot water. There is a Zappy/EV charger included though.

Eventually, but they don't like you cancelling and make it very difficult to get a refund.

I'll give it the two weeks and then have my solicitor fire over a letter, I'm not going chasing, won't give them the satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

Same price as the original panels but of course everyone is a gouger in leprechaun land.

200 is upper limit. They're taking the piss going over that.

Get everything itemised in original quotes.

• Advertisement

Update us so we get a better picture if you don't mind. It might help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

What are your thoughts on this quote I received which relates to my semi-detached house (with a hipped roof) in West Dublin, where our electricity usuage was 5,800kWh last year, but will be higher going forward as we have recently changed our two cars (both previously diesel) where the main car is a PHEV with a 13.8kWh battery, and the "second" car is an EV with a 64kWh battery. I already have a Zappi EV charger.

• 3.32kWp system with estimated annual production of 2,933kWh
    • 8nr. Jolywood NIWA Pro Series JW-HD108N-415 (415W) solar panels: 6 on the main south facing roof and 2 on the east facing smaller roof. We can't fit any more due to velux windows on both roofs
    • Afore Hybrid inverter HNS5000HS (5kW)

Subtotal before grant: €5,930

Grant: €1,930

Total after the grant: €4,000

I had thought about getting a battery too, but given the EV car sits outside the house quite a lot (i work from home 4 days a week), I think I will see how I get on with using the two cars to minimise exports, and further down the line if I decide to get another battery, the system will already be future proofed with the hybrid inverter.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on the cost but also on the brands of panels and inverter proposed.

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

how do Trina panels compare to others? Are they good or should be avoided?

They are as good as the next panel, a lot of members here have them with no complaints. Any reputable supplier will fit quality panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

I got 6 quotes and one company quoted €150 per extra panel. 2 of the other companies said they’d match €150 per extra panel. One had €350 per extra panel so they are all looking to make a killing. All quotes are negotiable. Play them off against each other based on quotes you receive.

A bit expensive but smaller systems usually are. I never heard of the equipment but reviews look ok, are the panels bifacial? Maybe that's why it's a bit over the guide price if they are and if so the jury is out on if they are worth the extra cost because of how close to the roof they are mounted. Use the calculator for a rough guide on prices. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Drog79

3.44 8 jinko panels, inverter , eddi and Ber for 4400 after grant.

Worth doing or wait a year until I can put more up?

A decent quote, the way grants are being reduced who know's what will happen in the budget. Weigh up that possibility with the extra cost of getting an installer back out to fit a few more panels which is usually expensive unless you can get someone you know to add a few more. Make sure you future proof the system by getting an inverter big enough to handle the extra panels and battery if you go down that road as well in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samantha Atkinson

The max grant for Domestic Solar PV Quotes in 2024 has been reduced by €2400 to €2100. While it's unclear how this change will impact quotes, a standard rule of thumb is recommended: €1.2k per 1Kwp + €1k per 2.5Kwhr battery, including VAT, after the grant is deducted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Got the following quote

12 x 430w panels (Trina Solar)

5kWh Huawei Inverter (SUN2000-5KTL-L1)

3.68kW Eddi

Projoy Shunt Switch (is this needed or does it come with all installs?)

Smart Power Sensor (is this needed or does it come with all installs?)

€8,900 or €12,400 with a Huawei 5kWh (LUNA 2000-5-S0) battery

Post edited by fletch on

Advertisement