Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Tow

Where is the obligatory pointing fingers photo with NK in his Godfather suit?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

Suppose that counts as an opinion. A little before this time last year, Tubridy's future in RTE seemed certain. Then the Pay Scandal story broke followed by RTE getting into serious trouble with a lot of its management either retiring or being retired. Who would have thought back then that Tubridy would have ended up doing mid-mornings on Virgin Radio in London?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A podcast about books.

He will have to find a new angle to make this a success, as its hardly original.

Of course some will tune in because it's Tubs, but I don't think the true fanbase for Tubs is as big as he thinks it is. Time will tell.

Whatever happened the podcast with Vogue? Is that no longer a thing?

At least he'll get a chance to use that state of the art home recording studio he bought last year. Wonder did he take it to London with him when he moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I did pass comment in leaving that Noel looked like this specimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Watched the clip of him announcing the podcast on Instagram and he's beginning to cut an increasingly pathetic figure. He looks devoid of confidence. It has finally hit him that he's not wanted back here. He said that he was putting on the green jersey by going over there. If that's the case, he has embarrassed the whole country over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps, in hommage to the French writer Marcel Proust, he can call it "A lá recherche du Tubs perdu". (Apologies for mangling the French.) Seriously though, it is a highly contested market and unless the podcaster has a niche, it will take time to build up an audience. Tubridy's brand recognition might bring in some of his RTE show fans but what's the market for it? Is he pitching to the Irish market or the UK market?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

The union within RTE did not seem to regard Ryan as one of the good guys. Or seem upset that he wouldnt be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I swear if they do bring him back I'll never pay for another tv licence ever ever again so help me God🥴

I've only ever paid the bloody thing to keep trouble from my door but the thought of that gombeen back on national radio, rte, may just cause me to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

You and half the nation.

I’ve a sibling that has paid it for 30 years and is the most middle of the road person you could meet and they were devastated they had bought it about a month before the story broke.

That devastation wasn’t an immediate reaction. It’s built up over time. The realisation of how they treat public money has developed more as the story hasn’t gone away and it has educated people.

If they seen Tubridy being offered a gig at RTE, in the future, I think they’d join a public protest if there was one. This person has never really had that quality before.

The other good thing about the whole fiasco is that they now view the government in a very different way and are much more open to believing other stories they would have previously not concerned themselves with.

The recent story about the Guard who supported a whistleblower and had to suffer the consequences any way possible. They now connect those dots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Which of the unions said that? I know the NUJ were having hissing fits about the executive boards carry-on.

I wasn’t aware they had condemned Tubbs himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Gergor a few years back on the Dee Forbes thread I got into this circular argument with another poster.

I'd ask where do you think Public Service Broadcasting should be going forward? or some such question and they'd reply "we really need to consider what we want from public service broadcasting/media first?" and every time I'd ask similar they'd do this, over a number of years. They just would not put their own general opinion on an opinion board. Just as Dee was leaving (the **** day before all this **** hit the fan) I ask on that thread again what do the defenders of RTÉ see happening going forward. Nothing. and the next day nothing and they haven't entered that thread since.

So in your general opinion Gergor where do you see Tubs in his "future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits"? No tea leaves require!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

With the threat (and it does seem like a threat 😥) of being relentlessly pursued on this question for years, I feel I have little choice than to acquiesce to your demand, don my turban and shake the Magic 8 Ball™. Unfortunately, I can't reasonably ask you to cross my palm with silver (and despite recent speculation from some of the more, shall we say "imaginative" posters here, Noel Kelly is not doing so either), so please forgive the brevity of my answer, as it's not my paying day job to offer rash predictions on the careers of broadcasters.

I can see Tubridy continuing to present his weekday national UK mid-morning radio slot on Virgin Radio, simulcasted on a selection of local Irish stations, for the foreseeable future. I don't see any immediate change to his Sunday show. His national Sunday column in the Irish Mail on Sunday will likely continue for the moment too. An interesting twist to events is his recently announced podcast - time will tell what this delivers. So, he's juggling many spinning plates in the fire, some may be more successful than others, or visa versa, and who knows what the future will bring.

After that, I'm afraid it's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have you heard any “mutterings” about a possible book deal stemming from the ‘London Diaries’ column, G?

If not for Christmas this year then, surely, next.

The tide is turning…

That's really it TBH an opinion. TBH I don't care what tubs does, I largely agree with what you've said.

Ah now Gregor might not be a fortuneteller but I don't think he can get a book deal going for Tubs!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭yagan

I'd be interested if it's printed on tissue paper.

Not something I'd considered, E. Thanks for throwing it into the mix.

A possible stocking filler indeed - it would make sense. Maybe also an audio book version read by Tubridy himself?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Audio tape is actually making somewhat of a resurgence - last year hitting sales volumes not seen since 2003. It's mainly the hipsters, and their "borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered 80s", as James Murphy from popular beat combo The LCD Sound System once opined. You could be on to something.

Well since starting to listen to Tubs everyday I feel I am a bit of a nerdy hipster.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭DaithiMa

They should get a 5 year old to do the audiobook, would perfectly match the standard of writing.

Yeah, the column is written (and edited) with the target market of the IMOS in mind. It’s not Tubridy’s “true voice”.

It poses an interesting question: if Tubridy were to do a book about London, would it be just a straight anthology of his articles (like Hunter S. Thompson’s “The Gonzo Papers”), a more in-depth autobiographical retelling of his adventures (like Thompson’s “Hell’s Angels”), or even a fictional tale “inspired” by true events (like “Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas”)?

For a simple notion, there’s a lot of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Fear and loathing and (exorbitantly) high wages.

Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Tubridy and Noel Kelly in a red 1973 Chevrolet Caprice Convertible, a boot full of pharmaceuticals, heading to cover the London Marathon for Virgin Radio?

“We were somewhere around St Albans on the edge of the city when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive. . . ." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Blackheath. And a voice was screaming "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

Then it was quiet again. My agent had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. "What the hell are you yelling about?" he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. "Never mind," I said. "It's your turn to drive." I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the M25. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.”

I jest, of course! See, I can join in the playful banter too. The gentle ribbing.

But in all seriousness, there are interesting possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Thread completey derailed by Gregor + Bobson. Nice weather today lads. Great to see Radio Caroline celebrating Sixty Years on air. Life is short. Best regards, ec...

I’ve mates who worked for the original Virgin Radio (now Absolute Radio) and Hunter S Thompson shenanigans were the order of the day back in the 1990s. Not sure if the current Virgin station has the same relaxed approach to HR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Tubs and Noel would be more likely to be driving round in a Megane convertible, hyped up on jelly beans and Cadburys chocolate.

Post edited by Brian Scan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

In fairness to Bobson he has admitted to being paid to derail the thread by Tunridy’s manager and has posted proof of it too.

Advertisement