Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Couldn't figure out why I got a notification for a thread I'd never heard of 🤔😃.

What time is his show again? Will he be up against Colm Ó Mongáin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And according to a recent article...

'He is also set to host an Irish-exclusive weekend show every Sunday from 10am to 12pm across Q102, 96FM in Cork, Live 95 in Limerick and LMFM.'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,541 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I won't be able to tune in for his opening week due to work, but will be intrigued to see how the show goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Galway and Waterford will miss out. Or be spared of him. Depending on what they think of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭chrisd2019

Interesting that tubs is now seen as entertainment, does this mean the parliamentary investigation and associated reports and holding to account have turned to dust as the year ends I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I would suspect the weekend show will be a pre-recorded ‘best of’ from during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Furze99

Good luck to Tubs and good riddance too. I won't be troubling his listening figures for sure. Will his faithful females follow him?

I often have Q102 on in the house, it's nice easy listening.

I won't be listening to Tubridy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭alzer100

If those figures are accurate, I think it could eventually make living in London quite challenging for him. I think he would have to pull off a super ultra broadcasting listenership heist to warrant Virgin Radio to increase his salary significantly. For Tubridy, this is where the Q102 simulcast may prove to be his lifejacket. Depending on listenership figures, at some point Virgin would have the option to either hold on to him and keep him in London and therefore increasing his salary, drop him or permit him to present his slot from Q102 allowing him to move back to Dublin. It is a possibility that in time Tubridy's show could end up being aired on Virgin Radio but fed from Q102 or a standalone show on Q102. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,349 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

It will be interesting the advertising revenue that Q102 will bring in from the show, he should in theory be able to get similar listener numbers of his previous RTÉ Dublin audience from the off (given limited Q102 Dublin broadcast area).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,679 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think the demographic is too different for him to carry over ANY listeners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Surely he has **** loads of savings so he could easily buy an apartment/house in UK if he really wanted to make a go of it over there.

Not that I give a toss about Ryan Tubridy or anything to do with him or his career but I doubt he's short of money that living in London would be a struggle for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I wouldn’t believe a single word of that article. 50-80k is what a Dublin local station pays for a similar time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭alzer100

Alright TheBMG? It's been a while BTW 😊

I would also be questioning the accuracy of his starting salary with respect to some publications. My take on this, because Virgin are taking the risk and Ryan Tubridy is not a household name in the UK, I would guess 70-80K sterling. Even though the radio station is music formatted, the presenter and their ability to attract and maintain listenership through breakfast/morning drive and mid-mornings is very important to Virgin who are currently trying to increase their market share, unlike RTE Radio 1 where the emphasis seems to be the 'slot'. There will be expectations and I believe they will quite quickly put him onto evenings (on a reduced salary) or have him on Q102 only or part ways with him fully if he doesn't meet them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement