Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

He will be chatting with Brendan Mullin ... former Ireland rugby star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Peter Dragon

Given the numbers it doesn’t appear that people are tuning in even for hate listening purposes.

O’Driscoll was a fantastic rugby player, but a great public speaker he is not. I’ve heard him speak quite a few times at corporate gigs and on the after dinner circuit and he’s awfully, awfully bland. He’s afraid to offer even the slightest negative opinion of anyone or any thing in case he upsets any of his myriad of sponsors. He also seems to tell the same stories over and over again. Nice work if you can get it I suppose but he’s just not that interesting in real life. Perhaps he’ll be better in a 1:1 podcast environment, who knows? His autobiography a number of years back was likewise, terribly bland.

You can rest easy though on your allegation of hate listening etc., as I for one won’t be. I do hope you enjoyed Callan’s Kicks again though last week. I hope one day you can forgive your father for forcing you to listen to it.

I do actually believe you on this as you’re more of a Heather Humphries fan to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

To be fair most of these things are (as far as I am aware) done for publicity alone. If there was however a fee to be paid, I’m sure it would be Easons who would be left to deal with that.

It is a strange choice given Sexton’s book is out this week (I think?) and O’Driscoll’s memoir is a decade* old at this stage, but I assume it’s a case of beggars can’t be choosers.

Who knows? Even Bobson might get on yet! If you do get around to publishing your autobiography (or was it fiction?), perhaps you’ll make an episode of Season 3 or beyond and discuss your self-proclaimed literary “flare”.

*I know this as it was bought for me the night before I departed to a particularly memorable (for all the wrong reasons) work conference in the US in 2014. I read the book on the flight. As noted in an earlier post it was terribly bland, that I do remember.

Not from me he’s not, and I suspect many others here. I don’t follow him on Instagram as I’m not on Instagram to start with. I haven’t watched a second of the podcast on YouTube nor listened to it on any platform. I do of course read, but apart from perhaps Brian Cox none of the guests so far would have been particularly appealing - and that’s before we talk about the interview style of the host - discussed many times on various fora and it’s just not for me. I also have a pile of books at home and in my parental home that I have on my list to complete before I venture further afield so why would I engage? 🤷‍♂️

It is perfectly possible to observe the travails of The Exiled One in a manner which doesn’t enrich him you know.

Post edited by Peter Dragon on

Dude, I’d suggest you pop me on ignore. I appear to be getting under your skin. I don’t want that. This is a silly old message board full of middle-aged men. It’s not the sort of thing that should be making you angry.

It’s fiction, btw. My life isn’t interesting enough for an autobiography. Well, not just yet anyway.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

I’m not angry at all, why would you think that? Projection perhaps?

I find the thread - and you - rather amusing tbh, and amusement doesn’t make one angry.

As for you getting under my skin, not at all. As above, I find your postings rather amusing, bordering on hysterical at times. I assume your posts are in jest and tongue in cheek and read them as such. I mean, I at least hope they are……

The hypocrisy of your Callan’s Kicks takes gave the game away though, that was your mistake. You can’t deride posters here for hate listening and criticising the host and keep a straight face while you do the exact same thing with Callan and his output. Up until then I genuinely thought “this guy is serious”.

Ah, grand, I just got the impression I was annoying you. I’m not worth that. Lads who get angry with the opinions of strangers online would need to shut the lid of the laptop and chill out.

Think I’ve only heard Callans Kicks twice in the last year, and for a few minutes at a time. Neither through choice. I’d rather listen to James Cordon tbh. It’s a very very poor show with horrifically bad impressions (you know they are bad when Callan has to call out who he is doing - Hello Simon, it’s me Leo etc.The writing is even worse. It’s witless. Like genuinely lacking in any warmth, humour or satire. Terrible terrible stuff.

I think the licence fee is great value, but it going towards dogshït like Callans Kicks isn’t ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why would one need to listen to Tubs or look at his Instagram when the "highlights" are all here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Anger is a terrigle disease dr abominable philes. It is delicious to see Callans success is getting under your skin doc. Beautifully delicious. You have so much negative energy. You are not coping well with callan in ryans seat haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Funny how you complain that Mary Lou's voice is extremely irritating and you can give out about it, and make a comment about it but that you don't like it when someone criticizes Tubs. I can't stand Tubs due to his run on way of speaking, while Mr Harris way of talking down to absolutely everyone regardless of whom he's talking to is also very irritating. So I certainly won't be listening.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭flyer_query

I agree, people obsessing about how a UK based radio presenter stands in photos is very strange, glad you acknowlege this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You're posting in a social media thread discussing a "UK based radio presenter".

By the same standard, does that make you 'obsessed'?

Very strange indeed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy cultivated a "young fogey" image while in RTE. Now, he comes across as an old fogey trying desperately to appear young.

Vogue Williams seemed like a much better choice for that station. She is able to connect to the audience while Tubridy seems to be filling dead air with his usual babble as if he was still on RTE.

The RTE audience for his slot obviously never made the switch to his show on Virgin Radio and now Callan has that audience. The Instagram followers have a kind of sameness about them and they would probably not be in Virgin Radio's target demographics. He doesn't seem to have picked up any UK fans. They will, no doubt, support any future move by Tubridy makes if Virgin Radio/News UK decides to reorganise its schedule for the New Year. A lot hinges on the upcoming RAJAR figures.

Regards…jmcc

@Bobson Dugnutt

I think the licence fee is great value, but it going towards dogshït like Callans Kicks isn’t ideal.

Could be better value and could support other comedy, but I believe the chair of RTÉ is a big fan. Bring back Moya and Dee they did after all do such a good job using that money. But no argument will dissuade you!

They'll need to give Calan Kick's a full series for the summer months (Monday to Friday) when their news team goes on holidays.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can’t get over the lineup, so far, for this season of ‘The Bookshelf’. Stellar. First we have An Taoiseach and now Ryan’s only gone, and got, Brian O’bloody Driscoll!!

Fantastic stuff. Wonderful. Really looking forward to what Ryan, and Ireland’s greatest ever rugby player, chat about.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

But its all very parochial, do you think its to get back on TV and Radio here, rather than progress his carreer in England?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rightmove

I actually hate being a hate lister but I guess a double negative might make a positive. Poor auld ryan hasnt a breeze really. As JmCC said - an young old fogey now trying to be young again. He's no dorian gray

….Let me get the response in first.

"Bet that sounded funnier in your head"

… yes it did how did you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭yagan

His young fogey act reminds me a person in their 20s who gets some facial work done that leaves them looking like someone in the 40s trying to look like they're in their 20s.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone once (let alone twice) publicly declare such excitement for a podcast they hadn’t yet listened to. I likened your pre-listening excitement last week to a teenage girl being gifted VIP tickets to Taylor Swift, but you’ve outdone even that with this latest contribution.

I do hope they live up to your expectations.

I’m quite new to all of this and genuinely wonder if you’re trolling? No offence intended if you’re not, I’m just not quite sure how a talent as mediocre as Ryan and his output on a niche platform generates such adulation from what I assume are adult males? I can kind of understand a fondness for him from women of certain ages and demographics, but fondness and the superfandom on display here are worlds apart. I’m still trying to figure out who is sincere and honest here, and who, well, isn’t.

Careful with the T word. There are a few trolls around that mods love. Many have got banned for reacting to certain posters laughable posts.

The three amigos (now down to two I think) have been at this for about 2+years now. They didn't even listen to ryan on radio or watch the late late show, but were defending him daily from posters.

When asked why do they like ryan and why do they think he is a good radio presenter, no reply. But if a poster said one negative thing about ryan. It would be the usual type of posting, "angry middle aged men, hate listening, get a life" etc etc… The same nonsense is repeated a few times a week from 1 individual.

Pity they got away with it (still do), and dragged good posters down to their level, especially when ryan was in trouble with rte last summer. Buttersuki for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Field east

has Butterski retired from boards or is he ‘permanently’ banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Been sitebanned twice, at least, but is still here posting under a different name.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah banned. But the 2 amigos are still around talking complete nonsense. Which we can all see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was genuinely just asking a question! As I said, I’m still trying to understand the lay of the land, as it were. I’ve no idea who any of these people are tbh. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Emmet, did you get a chance to listen to the podcast with the Taoiseach yet? I’m genuinely curious to know what you thought of it, and if it lived up to your expectations?

I’m more than willing to hear your review of same, and perhaps you can even persuade me to give it a chance (post reading your appraisal of same)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I cannot tell if you are taking the p1ss or not.

This is the time of year that the big book releases come out. Everyone vying for a place under the Christmas tree. Boris book is out today. He is doing the interview circuit at the moment. I am sure a top notch classical scholar like Tubs would love to indulge in some classical one man upship with BoJo.

Sally Rooney argueably Irelands most sucessful author at the moment has a new book out. Also do a limited press circuit. That would have been a big get for the show. But I wonder did Tubs worry she might be a bit "prickly" for him.

Al Pacino, Cher, Luke Evans, Micheal Palin, Rick Stein and Rick Atley all also have autobiographies comining out before the end of the year.

Stanley Tucci and Stephen Fry have new books coming out.

As does Richard Dawkins, but I think we can all remember how poorly the Tubs last interview with Dawkins went.

I cannot belive he hasn't even got Richard Osman.

Who is doing the book for the show?

Morrissey is an RTE staffer. If he wants to start a Podcast, RTE better be getting a cut of the profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Think that the 2023 RTE deal with Tubridy also involved a podcast or two. RTE has been regearing for online over the past few years and it has, from what I remember on zero mugs of coffee, added a few podcasts. Without the PR engine of RTE and its advertising, Tubridy has to rely upon his ever decreasing fame for views/listens on his podcast. The figures are directly related to the fame or prominence of the guest.

In the pull model (where a viewer or listener has to make the decision to access a podcast as opposed to the push model of broadcast radio), Tubridy's low podcast figures show the importance of RTE promotion. As with his former time slot on RTE, occupied by Callan now, the audience was never Tubridy's and it never switched to Virgin Radio or Q102/etc. He's certainly no Joe Rogan. And he's certainly no Marty Morrisey. Think that he still does a lot of promotional GAA gigs outside of RTE. Tubridy is very much a "Bryan who?" by comparison.

With Harris, many of those views would have been FG supporters. There's also a GE coming up so FG wanted to humanise Harris in the minds of voters by getting him interviewed. The lifestyle sections of the newspapers will also be getting hit with fluff pieces about politicians.Wonder if those book recommendations are translating into actual book sales for Eason?

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭nonetheless

Still fancies himself as the world's youngest-oldest fogey.

The dude is in his 50s, he is an old fogey.

EDIT - The Yeates quote is very forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You can see in her face that she's thinking "next" 🤢.

Personally I think it is too early to suggest that Harris' pull is down to voter interest, I say this because sports people are rarely a pull factor (though I am sure many will disagree with me on that). I think you get very few like Andrea Corr but I think it will be interesting to see, so I will remove my bias for the next while.

______

Yesterday

Look BOD is on Newstalk all the time, BOD is on the english premiership commentating and doing analysis all the time. BOD is on loada other things all the time. Its a BOD move having BOD on the POD. But he is desperate.

So apart from the FF political connections which was a disgraceful move by Harris IMO, and pulling in favours because the the non earned privileged position he found himself in RTE, Tubs is trying to worm his way back into mama donnybrook as the virgin gig is running outta steam and the POD will too.

the bookshelf —I mean who is he kidding. chancer!!!

• Advertisement

Why does he (and to be fair, others in the wider media) always feed this need to tell the great unwashed that anything with any sort of Irish connection (real or imagined) is the greatest thing since sliced bread? McQueen’s new film has received distinctly average reviews, yet Ryan predictably loved it and focuses on the Irish angle. At times I wonder is he capable of any original thought or does he lack the ability to form an opinion of his own?

I can almost guarantee if it was a British actress playing the Ronan part he’d not even mention the film, or (and I’m making an assumption here) attend the screening from which I presume this photo was taken. It all seems so staged and “manufactured”; he’s just using the Irish angle ultimately for some self-promotion and an Instagram post. Another “look at me with this famous person” post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭nonetheless

For the subject to consistently target an Irish demographic whilst operating in a new and to some extent a non Irish market shows that their purpose, intent or endgame is to attempt to return to that Irish market at some point in the future, safe in their own knowledge that they really never left. Would not consider his simulcast on Q102 or syndications on Wireless in Ireland as being successful to maintaining his presence or brand in Ireland when compared to his exposure with RTE. His introduction to the UK market via VRUK has not opened up any doors that would be considered as game changing or significant to lead to the type of Irish broadcaster status enjoyed by previous Irish celebrities such as Terry Wogan and Graham Norton etc. So it is better to stay within what they regard as being safe familiar territory. Tubridy is all about safe territory for himself, hence no initiative on his part to change, enhance or adapt his particular RTE standard and accepted presentation to appeal to that new market that he is operating in. RTE was and always will be safe territory for Tubridy, the only vulnerability being his own mouth. The NewsUK/Wireless gig does not look like it will lead to mimicking his time at RTE from his own lifestyle and financial perspectives. Either way his days of earning the big bucks are over but getting back to Montrose for 5 hours per week plus a podcast for close to 200K pa without the expectation of having to produce accountable audience share results? Well that would suit nicely.

FG supporters rather than voters. Party supporters generally act in a herd-like manner to support their leader. Much the same would happen with other party leaders if he managed to "get" them on the podcast now that a GE is in the offing.

There have been other spikes in figures that are purely down to the Social Media footprint and fame of the guest. Most of the audiences for those guests are audiences for the guests rather than Tubridy and that's why the figures spike. The podcast is quite hit and miss on numbers. Without these people, Tubridy is probably incapable of getting more than a few hundred views/listens on his own because this isn't a largely passive medium like TV or radio. A personal decision has to be made to view or listen to a podcast.

Without any TV presence, Tubridy is irrelevant to most of his former audience in Ireland. In cynical terms, the podcast is an attempt to keep him on some kind of visual medium like the LLS. Without the habitual viewers and the advertising engine of RTE, it is consistently beaten in the ratings by podcasters who are often a generation or so younger than Tubridy. The difference between their audiences and that of Tubridy is that their audience is of the same generation and more used to podcasts. Tubridy's audience, generally, is older and more used to passively watching him on TV. He's no Marty Whelan in terms of holding an audience and a position in RTE.

Regards…jmcc

deleted post.

With that in mind, I wonder will there be an accompanying toy-themed podcast, hosted by his other curated persona, The Toyman?

I hate myself for thinking of this.

I was prompted by JMCC’s post about Ryan maintaining on-screen relevance with the YouTube presentation of the podcast. My mind wandered….i apologise. I assure you, no-one will feel worse than I do should this become a reality.

Ryan reviewing toys, interspersed with some “talented” tots singing and dancing, all sponsored by Smyths. There could be additional revenue generating opportunities too with wealthy parents bidding to have their child featured as a guest reviewer, or to have mass meet and greet events with The Toyman himself - for a fee of course. Perhaps even Penneys could get on board and then children in poorer countries could manufacture Toyman merch too…..this could have legs yet.

I feel physically ill now.

not good enough

The consequences of your actions

Elf on the the bookshelf - THANKS

The best thing about this thread is all the anger and animosity thrown at a mild-mannered radio presenter by people he knows nothing about. He doesn’t think about you at all, but you think about him a lot. He wins, and he doesn’t even realise it. Some people have been destroyed by internet addiction and outrage tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭yagan

Without his old rte production he wouldn't get past figuring out that an abacus is a maths tool.

I can see his pointy fingers flicking the beads and losing interest.

Advertisement