Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭animalinside

All of this was, and is, an RTÉ issue and the biggest victims of the “fallout” are, both, Ryan Tubridy and Noel Kelly Management.

This lad is taking the piss at this point.

I've often see him posting on After Hours, never a good sign from a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

it’s a merry-go-round but here goes, NOBODY IS DISPUTING THE LEGALITY OF THE WHOLE THING. GET IT FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. Ethical responsibility goes beyond the letter of the law. Claiming to take a pay cut while secretly taking backhanders during a crisis is not just unethical, it’s a betrayal of public trust. Legal loopholes don't absolve him from moral accountability or “obligations”. It’s really not that hard to get. Anyway, way I see it €150k of tax payers money to see the back of that clown for good is money well spent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

To be fair, I have no problem getting extra pay in creative ways at work while not tell anyone else about it so they didnt go asking for it too. In fact I have done. Doesnt make Tubridy worth what he was paid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yes.

But

a) the 'Renault gigs that never happened' were created to offset a pay cut that he took in solidarity with his colleagues over COVID. Did those colleages use their agent for similar invisible work.

b) His declaration to the Oireachtas Committee of him paying back any money that was paid while not delivering a service was not dependent on him getting a new contract.

No one was asking for the money back. Tubs volunteered it was doing it to make himself look like Joe Everyman - honest to god, guv, honest mistake, money was resting in my account. The persona wants to be seen as 'I'm one of the good goys' as the salary doesnt affect his soul. The person (and his agent) will do what it can to screw over who it can for a higher salary (and commission).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Here's my view on the 150k from "Renault"

1. Yes Tubs Did not do the work
    2. Yes there might be a moral obligation but this is not legal and really depends on your view point
    3. It was part of the contract or agreement

The difficult is with RTÉ

1. As DG/CEO of the company Dee Forbes signed off on the payment
    2. She signed off on the use of the barter account for this payment
    3. She ultimately wrote the cheque
    4. She ultimately hide the payments
    5. She is ultimately responsible for this movement of money

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭yagan

And ultimately he willingly colluded with the circumvention of a pay cut.

He cannot in any manner present those circumventions as honest mistakes or oversights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He cannot in any manner present those circumventions as honest mistakes or oversights.

He cannot, but he will damn well try such is his brazenness…. which ultimately is one of the reasons people consider him to be a despicable human being.

There was a well known saying from yesteryear that springs to mind when briefly thinking about Tubridy;

"I wouldn't pi$$ on him if he was on fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes at least Tubridy has given an account of himself and his actions, whether we like it or not. Forbes and others have hidden in a cowardly way, taken no responsibility and treated the public & Oireachtas with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't believe there's much he can do to salvage the reputational damage done by this. His name is now associated with greed, dishonesty and financial trickery. Most of his listeners are of an age where they were financially affected by recessions of the past. That makes stories like Tubridy's hard to swallow. Nobody like hypocrisy. Charlie Haughey's "Tighten our belts" speech gained notoriety when we learned about his lifestyle. I don't think the Irish people ever forgave him for that.

There is a real question here which hasn't been asked: -

Did Dee Forbes and the RTÉ executive suggest this method of payment so that they could suggest that they have paid Tubs less money.

To my mind clearly the executive team or parts of the team were actively talking about the top ten earners and how to reduce the spend on the top ten earner or how to make it look like they have cut their wages.

I also thing these meetings and strategies would have been quite long in nature, did they unofficially meet in an office so that no records of their plans could come to light?

This was clearly on their mind, and I don't believe that these conversations could have taken place in a silo.

Someone had to have suggested the method of payment, someone had to have had a conversation with Renault, and someone would have had to come back to say that Renault agreed on the following conditions.

This is a large project of a lot of talk with nothing being done, along with spreading end of contract payment across the previous 3 years.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Agreed. Tubridy certainly wasn't alone in this, but didn't cover himself in glory either, by any stretch of the imagination. He will always be associated with it, as the public face of the chicanery that was going on at RTE.

He appeared before the committee(s) which is more than others did, that is true. But he and Kelly tried to pull a fast one there too by not providing the information until the last minute to the committee, so that they didn't have enough time to go through it.

I still shake my head at how close he came to having the job handed back to him. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

"I still shake my head at how close he came to having the job handed back to him."

I bet he does as well....

If RTE were to take him back I'd say they'd get him for a bargain basement price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If they wanted, they 'could' get him back for ~€50k/pa to do 1h of Radio per day…

but RTÉ being RTÉ, would offer him a fair €175k-€200k to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

He did have his job handed back to him. But then he had his "A man more wronged against then in the wrong" moment. Which blew everything up for him. Ego is a helluva drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Iguarantee

…as I said earlier: Dee Forbes is a dishonest sack of sh1t.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I bet he does as well....

Well that's very true 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'm not sure that RTE would. His value, in terms of the sunk costs of RTE publicity and promotion, was still relatively high at the time of the negotiations but he rapidly became toxic as the face of the payments scandal. His value to RTE dropped after that and there was no other Irish national broadcaster who seemed to be interested in him. Callan seems to be getting on OK. The LLS has had one of its best seasons in years. There's also the licence fee issue now and RTE will not want to inflict any more problems on itself.

Regards…jmcc

Now, now that is so unfair she is very sick and she could not possibly be able to defend herself on a public site that allows anyone to sign up to it, and its very unfair because where else could she defend herself, I mean its not like she was the head of the national broadcaster and didn't get to defend her actions while she was there and its not like she's been invited to defend herself in public forums such as the Oireachtas Committees.

No she couldn't possibly be on a site that's, at this point, largely dead in the water and hasn't been significant since 2009.

The poor crayture. God love her.

______

Yesterday

Jennifer Zamparelli is leaving 2FM. That's four high profile presenters gone.

Tubridy will be remembered more for the payments scandal and the changes it forced on RTE rather than his broadcasting career. It seems a very different organisation today to the one it was a year ago.

Regards…jmcc

The producers of Dancing with the Canteen must be sweating it. They'll have no one to rope in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

Ironically he's the one who has fared the worst from it all The other four will manage just fine in a post-RTE world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I'm not sure there's a huge market for The two Johnnie's. Whatever happened to the "Hardy Bucks"?

He's an RTE lifer. The others have lives outside of RTE.

Regards…jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 2 Johnnies are doing plenty outside of their RTE jobs to be fair. Their company is raking it in according to financials released a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They're doing an event in St Annes Park in Dublin … seems like they have a paying market of some sort.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I read somewhere that the two Johnnies wanted time off for an American tour but couldn't get it. So they decided to leave.

No idea if that's true, I know very little about them, tbh.

I was following the lads for years before, their first youtube hit was 7 ago.

I know that if you're in the Dublin bubble they'd easily fly under the radar, but they had a national audience before 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Loblox

Viper spent some time with a Russian propaganda mill, now irregularly livestreams to a small crowd of very strange people. Also did a one man reenactment of a Pat Kenny/FrankMcCourt/Gerry Hannan interview on an abandoned train track.

Durkin mostly posts his very strong policial opinions on twitter.

French Toast and Buzz do stuff as "Three Bucks left" with a lad who briefly appeared in one episode. They had some drama over a Traveler joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nonetheless

2fm could do with moving away from personality based programming and it's showing in their market share. I don't believe The 2 Johnnies presenting afternoon drive, Jennifer Zamparelli on mornings and others was/is really resonating with or attracting a healthy audience figure. They will just continue to replace presenters and the core station sound which I believe is the root cause of a lot of their woes will not be addressed. Not even bringing back Tubridy can help them. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not any more. He got early release for bad behaviour.

Advertisement