Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I could understand the initial medium term strategy for tubridy: the prodigal son return to Ireland after a year or two over on virgin, but that was predicated on him having some success over there. Now that he has tanked his slot and the podcast is not performing, where does it leave him? Even in a sponsored seat such low listenership will be a big drag on their later slots so I can't see them keeping him. With the numbers he has it will be impossible to spin a credible alternative narrative for leaving other than being let go.

Where to then? If he's coming back a failure and still toxic you couldn't see any of the Irish nationals taking him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I wonder if he ever goes back to RTE will it lead to a mass refusal to pay the license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Looking like the licence fee will be replaced with either a deduction at source like the property tax or a utility deduction.

I personally would favour it being included in a utility bill. Electricity makes the most sense. Roll it into the PSO. That would ensure everyone in the country contributes to it and funds public service journalism, archives, orchestras, commemorations, sport and so on.
    Enough of loud mouth scroungers not paying their way while complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I agree, but I wouldn't give it to the scroungers in RTÉ.

How many orchestras are their in RTÉ Bob? and what is the so on, I hear jornalism, archives, orchestras, commerations and sport, I wonder about this and so on.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Kingslayer

If he had held his hands up and paid back the money at the start I think people would be more forgiving. It will be hanging over his head permanently now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Why not stick to the topic and reply to odyssey06? Excellent points made in their posts.

It must be tough for you, to admit tubs is failing.

Easy for you to mock Callan though. And then you have the neck to throw toys outta the pram, calling for the thread to be closed when a poster slags Dee Sicknote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Speaking of “sticking to the topic” do you ever post about anything other than, our esteemed, Mr Dugnutt?

It’s just, whenever you seem to, infrequently, log in, it doesn’t appear to be to add to any discussion, bar a small handful, it’s, almost exclusively to “have a go” at Bobson who, like him, or not, is discussing the “issues” at hand and contributing to threads.

It should be noted that this isn’t just a “Radio Forum” thing, you follow him, angrily, across the site. It’s quite bizarre, and obsessive, behaviour.

Whats that about, P?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Seems you go around around defending your "esteemed" buddy non stop on boards. Enough of your auld guff emmet. Pot kettle etc..

How about you and you amigo stick to the topic and reply to posts that disagree with you on said topic.

Ryan Tubridy is not my “buddy”, I have met him on a couple of occasions and found him to be very affable and he didn’t shy away from getting his round in.

I’ve stuck to the topic fairly well, bar in this interaction with you. I’ve even cleared up the issue around the €150k payment that was contractually guaranteed and was in no way a crime or, even, a “wrong-doing”.

Of course, this money would have been returned, as stated, had a new contract been agreed but once Mr Bakhurst tore that up so was any responsibility for Ryan to pay it back.

All of this was, and is, an RTÉ issue and the biggest victims of the “fallout” are, both, Ryan Tubridy and Noel Kelly Management. Ryan for allowing his employer to pay him in an odd way and Noel for being the best talent agent in the country, doing the best for those on his “books”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Esteemed buddy is obviously bobson. But you already knew that.

• Advertisement

He's is not really. He's trolling IMO. He suggesting for example that people that don't have a TV licence shouldn't be able to argue against the mismanagement of RTÉ the national public service broadcaster, slightly off topic, while calling everyone a scrounger. He will only deal in circular arguments and never give any real opinion of his own. As I have said in other threads he like the media, RTÉ, academia and politicians believe that the crisis in RTÉ is because : -

1. The funding model is broken
    2. If we fix the funding model or if the funding model had been changed then RTÉ would not have mismanagement the company nor with the governance issues exist

Both of these things fail to point out, for example, that the payment made to Tub's agent was made via a barter account which the report into the barter account says it can see no reason why these payments should have been funnelled through these accounts. Yet, it saves RTE et al by also saying that no one gain financial from these governance issues.

______

Yesterday

I think she could make herself available to the Oireachtas committee or the PAC to defend her time in RTÉ. But I suppose she's not reading boards.ie, but she can set up an account to defend herself if she so wished. She was a waste of space in RTÉ, but she's prob too sick to sue me so, she was a waste of space in RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭DaithiMa

Back to the good old "nothing burger" defence. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"I’ve even cleared up the issue around the €150k payment that was contractually guaranteed and was in no way a crime or, even, a “wrong-doing”.Of course, this money would have been returned, as stated, had a new contract been agreed but once Mr Bakhurst tore that up so was any responsibility for Ryan to pay it back."

So you continue to conveniently ignore the fact (and it is a fact) that Tubs clearly accepted at the PAC in relation to the Renault appearances, that "if the work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back".

You'd have to have missing brain cells not to accept that Tubs has a moral duty to pay this money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nonetheless

Overall the figures for 2fm are nothing to be proud of for Dan Healy. They can part ways with presenters but this is as close as 2fm gets to a shake-up and of course announce their summer schedule. Unfortunately 2fm never do anything radical or push the envelope to set the radio station apart from the others in that demographic. Going forward I predict more of the same, just different people.

With "Incoherent, self centred ramblings, talking about himself and the invites to Wimbledon and Abbey road, speaking way too fast and incoherently. This is most of the reason he has just tanked and lost over 300k listeners to a show that would have been a no brainer for most to ADD listeners to.

Crisis talks about what to do next with that slot are being had as we speak at News UK/Virgin Towers which may not be good news for defenders.

"It will be pulled soon enough"- from sources at "the top of the tower".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yagan

Loud mouthed scroungers like tubridy, I agree.

Oh, that. I dunno, I guess I just find it, incredibly, odd that you seem to only log in with the sole purpose of “having a go” at the lad.

Never to counter the “argument” or add anything.

His contract was, effectively, terminated. That removed any opportunity for the work to be “called upon”.

When a new contract wasn’t drawn up it removed any, and all, “obligations” on Ryan Tubridy to do anything with the money he was contractually, and legally, paid up to that point.

• Advertisement

Sure "E"

Now, are you gonna reply to the posts above by podgeandrodge and daithi ma and ro Kelly. Where they take your argument apart.

Or just do what your amigos do best. Attack posters and not the posts

Reply to what I can, P, I’m not sat here mashing F5. I’ll get to what I can.

I don’t “engage” in attacking the poster as I am fully aware that it is against the site rules but maybe if I were to hide offline for a few weeks, log in back in, “have a go” at a couple of users, log off and rinse and repeat I might get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

According to Tubridy he had a "separate commercial agreement with Renault – the basis of which was that I would make public appearances and perform roadshows for them."

RTE stupidly got themselves involved in guarantees. But Tubs hasn't done the work RTE paid 150k for. Hence the money was not earnt by him and should go back, morally at the very least.

He's shown himself up for what he is.

As I was scanning down through the last few pages I saw someone mention my criticism of Oliver Callan. Totally different to the absolute bile and venom that pops up here every so often. All I said was that Callan is a terrible impressionist (which he is) and that Callan's Kicks is about as funny as a consultant putting a box of tissues on his desk and telling you to take a moment. That's legitimate criticism of his show. I'd also never go out of my way to "hate listen" to it as I've got a life to be living. You can do about anything else in life that would be more fulfilling than hate listening to a show presented by someone you despise.

I'd never talk about his personal life, where he lives, his motivations, his ability to read a book, his family, his use of drugs. Which are all things discussed here about Tubridy. Absolutely vile stuff which says far more about the person posting it than it does about Tubs. There's a huge amount of anger and self-loathing on display at times.

As an aside, I've heard that Callan is a nice chap, if slightly egotistical. Tubridy is a tremendously nice chap with absolutely no airs and graces (as anyone who has drank in Toners or O'Donoghues can attest to).

Now I'm off to meet Noel Kelly and Dermot Bannon in One Pico for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Emmets no doing the job....maybe need to resurrect livia, dr phibes or johnny flash. Bobson cant do it all on his own

Excellent point "E".

Where are the "3" "amigos" "gone" to?

Did "i" use "enough" "quotation marks"????

Before my time, but I believe Johnny Flash died of a heart attack.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

@Bobson Dugnutt please don't post again in this thread for 3 days as a preemptory measure to avoid a more permanent threadban for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

I dont listen to either the Virgin Radio UK show or the Weekend thing that is aired regionally but like most people I find the whole Tubs thing interesting from a soap opera point of view.

What I always found interesting about the virgin radio deal was the simulcast on Q102. Obviously this costs nothing extra to the owners as they own both stations but I had thought that they did this to shore up the listener figures. I dont see any precise number for his Q102 weekday figures (i saw a bland Q102 up x amount of listeners type of headline) but there is no way his Irish weekday numbers for Q are making up for the big drop in the UK.

The solution to me anyway is to drop the simulcast and just do the UK show and in doing that drop all the references to Ireland etc. The UK audiences are not buying it, to them its a syndicated show from Ireland same as Casey Casem on Nova was back in the day here. He could VT a show for Q102 which could play out at the same time and which without any UK references may be a better show for Dublin audiences. This current thing is probably alienating both sets of listeners, it is just about the worst solution you could think of.

• Advertisement

One of the main differences with the syndication of American Top 40 with Casey Kasem on Nova back in the early to mid 80s was that Chris Carey integrated a healthy level of the chart's playlist into Nova, so Nova's listeners identified with that program and of course the presenter. The late Casey Casem and Ryan Tubridy are nowhere on the same planet. American Top 40 was a worldwide show airing on thousands of radio stations around the world and Casey's style was appealing, slick and a benchmark for all contemporary radio music presentation.

Tubridy is what I can only describe as a national disgrace to the Irish radio industry. Is THIS really the best we can produce? Many English people I know who have heard him cannot barely make out what he is talking about most of the time. His strong speech defects and accent render him unlistenable for the most part. Being on Virgin Radio was good for highlighting these issues and holes in his act. He does not respond well to feedback is also the word about him and he believes that he is right all of the time. His type of presentation and duration of talking is a tune out factor for music radio and any self respecting PD would endorse that. I don't believe that Tubridy is able to change his way of doing radio and because of that his style of presentation just does not integrate seamlessly into that type of formatted music radio.

Advertisement