Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Noelly babes took on a product to sell in the first place because said product had guaranteed status, except it didn’t and it’s failure has put Noelly’s operation and methodology into big question. Would be better going back to Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory now. Reputation is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And in that respect Tubs' lack of humility and contrition did the Irish license fee payer a favour.

The proposed offer to Tubs of €170k was crazy and showed, even with Bakhurst, that there was some unconscious bias, perhaps based on previous Tubs salary, that he was in any way worth that phenomenal sum. Hard to see how he can ever get back to that gravy train now that he has been commercially found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Id be dubious about fair city beating home and away. I hear people talking about h&a from time to time (and the in laws still regularly tune in) but never about fair city (apart from discussing the salary for the photographer role).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder how would his radio show have gone if he had kept his mouth shut. Even though the RTE scandals are no longer getting the airtime they did, none of it has really gone away. Would his position have become untenable if he'd stayed on Radio 1? Would he have lost listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The radio show would likely have chugged on with a marginal reduction in reported listenership tbh. I'm open to correction on this but afaik the 9am news was rolled into tubridys numbers, added to the fact that the Jnlrs generally do not seem to stack up in the context of a changing culture around media consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

yeah, probably would have lost about 13,000 listeners 🤣

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I think he would not have been able to resist spouting about how he felt so unfairly treated, once his feet were back under the desk. I am still incredulous at the fact that he was being offered the job back.

I didn't get to watch the appearance(s) before the committees but I saw a clip of the impassioned speech about how his name had been mentioned so many times, in news reports, or whatever. He felt very hard done by and he wasn't going to have the cop on to move on, without having his say.

His diehard listeners, or indeed those who listen to Radio One out of habit would probably have stayed with him, I guess. I wonder too, how those who worked directly with him, would have felt, had he returned that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’ve always had the impression that Bakhurst became increasingly aware of the full cost of bringing Tubridy back as the weeks ticked along and into negotiations.

The public mood was mixed but internally it was said to be far more negative towards RT. Then when it was agreed to put the issue to bed and RT continued to try to score points against RTE KB knew that Tubridy was a complete liability and had no choice but to cut him loose and let him unleash his crazy talent abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Loblox

The first show would have just been Ceelo Greens "**** you," on a loop, with the occasional "And now, we move on to liars."

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

They would have had to sort out a completely new team for him, consisting of people who had little previous interaction with him, maybe newer people who were still making the tea in the back room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Why? What happened with his exsisting team? Did he burn his bridges with them as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭Tow

They all took pay cuts while Ryan lied to them about talking a pay cut. You also have to remember RTE only pays the big bucks to the talent and management, the rest of his team would be on a fraction of his money.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nonetheless

Although RTE is a different monster, his original production team at Virgin Radio were replaced quite quickly since he started and since then has had a particular producer and a tech op team assigned to him. There can be many reasons for this but I would not rule out the experience being complex or challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

did RT ever attempt to “make amends” with the production staff colleagues and people he deceived for years in RTÉ?

Or did he act as if nothing was wrong?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the latter.

Which is still his stance to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Some people are more equal than others when it comes to pay cuts in the state sector. It's never the people at the top who bear the brunt of cost-cutting for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't work that way for civil service and anything tied to civil service wages. Higher % cuts at the top that were unwound last.

Made hiring for certain pegged skilled roles very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

wow, RTE really have their finger on the pulse. Or were they thinking, sure we’ll leave it up, he’ll be back in no time.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/ryan-tubridy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nah, that's just an archive of his programme. It was called that until August 18th by the looks of it, then changed to 'The Nine O'Clock Show' from Aug 21st-Jan 26th. Now called 'Oliver Callan'.

Can't remember when Tubridy shot himself in the foot, then reloaded and shot himself in the other one, but it was around then.

Oliver Callan is on since June 23rd (subbed by Brendan Courtney for a while). His intro to the first programme on Friday June 23rd is worth a listen, just the first 2mins 30sec. Has a dig at Tubridy, acknowledges the staff are getting it in the neck, and that they are plssed with Tubridy.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/ryan-tubridy/2023/0623/1390765-the-ryan-tubridy-show-friday-23-june-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭animalinside

I think we're in agreement but talking about two completely different things in case this wasn't clear - I'm talking about the official RTE viewing figures while you're talking about the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Iguarantee

Let’s not forget, Dee Forbes is a dishonest sack of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes, I'm questioning the validity of the methodology that produces the official figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Marian Keyes on his pod today. Still fishing from the same small pond, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Shan Doras

Most people agree that his best work was The Full Irish Breakfast on 2fm back in the early 00s, it really is interesting thinking back on that time how different radio was, in the sense that Tubs was completely free to play The Beatles, Frank Sinatra the Ella Fitzgerald whenever he wanted to and that was most days, Indeed I remember one fine hot morning in the summer of 2003, Switching on Rising Time with Maxi on RTE Radio 1 and she was playing crazy in love by Beyonce while Tubs over on 2fm was playing I must have that man by Ella Fitzgerald. Those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’d rephrase “his best work” as “the absolute limit of his ability”

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nonetheless

He sounds as awful as he does now as he did back then in 2003. The fact he got away with playing any of those artists at length just proves the mess that RTE is - no idea who they are broadcasting to and no respect for format. He continued to output the same blithering, incoherent speech rambling and pointless car crash links on 2fm as he is doing now. Tubridy has never had any "best work" as he simply does not work.

It was Tubridy getting his way like a spoiled little brat - doing his own little 'JACK FM' and playing whatever HE wanted. It must of been disheartening for other folks at 2fm in proximity to see the freedom this little nepo babe was getting due to his connections at the top of RTE's food chain and also for what is supposed to be a CHR driven music radio station?

RTE nepotism taken to the stratosphere.

Post edited by nonetheless on

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

It's laughable that this poster gets away with such trolling.

Callan living rent free is the docs head. The doc loves kicking Callan but if any poster says anything negative about tubs, then the toys leave the pram.

Also, It's is beautifully delicious that buttersuki was and is correct about everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think it the only in fairness that we can give Tubs that and Tubridy Tonight, weather we like it or now.

The Full Irish boosted 2FM's radio show (I stopped listening after he started waffling about how more students were considering arts degrees over science and IT), never really watch Tubridy Tonight but it was something different for RTÉ, however he desperately wants to offer his guests some sweets from the jar of sweets under his table!

My thinking is that he thinks the different things he did on 2FM and RTÉ1 is just the right format to try on the British public.

BTW Tubs ramblings are a way to copy Gay Byrne, Byrne might go through the headlines and at the end something might pop into his head and he'd do this thing where he knowingly ramble for a bit and the move into the break, Tubs flitters like this constantly with no regard. He reads the head line "Kings new red portrait" ….. Have you see it ! I mean come on !, its a floating head just there in the middle of a vast red back drop… I don't know if you have seen the Irish Presidents portrait now that's classy… like the days of old … Can you imagine Cary Grant wearing that?…. I mean come on .. and another thing the red is very like the wrapper to the special K bar packets you know the ones … yeah there was a girl up in Donegal went viral for wearing clothes like cleaning products … Donegal if you have been you know you know " Producer press next on the playlist.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Advertisement