Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

What sort of format are you referring to? Maybe the UK market is different but any time I turn on mainstream Irish radio stations during the daytime, there's nothing but presenters on music shows talking and trying to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shan Doras

It must be a very crappy Job for the jnlr person tho going house to house, Last summer I was doing some cover work as a courier, I got to a small estate of about 12 houses but the parcel was missing both house number and eircode, so I decided to just knock on a random door hoping that whoever answered would know which house the person named on the package lived in and I was pretty surprised at the unfriendly reception I got, foreign woman opens the door and gives me a look of surprise, I show her the name, she shrugs her shoulders and the next thing her husband comes out asking who's at the door.

I recognised the JNLR lady who came to my door because she had called to our previous house, also doing a survey. On that occasion, it was for a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah I am the same, but they have actually grown tired of RTÉ, often they have Quest or Yesterday on for Bangers and Cash or something similar. And are will watch Catchphrase and the Chase also, and they are never sure if they are watching ITV or VMTV.

Dubliner's were never really into their local radio for talk radio, so its Radio 1 or Newstalk (and have to say they've kind of ditch the Radio as well !)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not unless Lyric FM's programming changes dramatically (it has changed from being an Classical and Arts station with the addition of Marty Whelan as a false competition to RTE1). Besides, there will always be some RTE retirees ahead of him in the queue. Tubridy is the face of the payments scandal and bringing him back would only reignite that controversy.

On those RAJAR figures, it might make more sense to dump him back on the News UK Irish local radio stations and give the slot to someone else in the Autumn if there is no improvement.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

on those numbers Virgin should pay him NOT to broadcast

It is hospital pass radio for Virgin Radio. If sponsorship and advertising for the VR slot declines then News UK management will be forced to make a decision on Tubridy's future.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭hawley

Dee Forbes will be shocked at these figures. Noel had told her that Tubs was an excellent broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

Ahem..... Marty Whelan. And now Simon Delaney. The current management would take him, alright.

:/ I'd love to know how Simon Delaney gets so much traction with his career.

Full Tubs audience story here

https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/new-radio-listenership-figures-show-ryan-tubridy-is-struggling-in-uk-market/a1207859217.html

Eddy Temple-Morris ~ 469,000 listeners

Ryan Tubridy ~ 134,000 listeners

Chris Evans ~ 1,005,000 listeners

The new figures don’t give him much breathing space, he’s pretty much an unknown in Britain, despite filling in for the likes of Graham Norton, Terry Wogan, Jonathan Ross and Chris Evans on their shows down through the years when they were on holidays. It’s pretty much to be expected that there would be a dip in listeners for a new presenter, but there are eyebrows being raised that’s it’s so sizeable.

When did he last sit in for a BBC presenter?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, people are certainly colder at the door these days. During the winter I was walking around my estate and saw someone's chimney on fire. Called to the door to let them know and was pretty much told to **** off.

Oh jeez, 134000 down from 469,000 is terrible. And this from Ireland's most "successful broadcaster" of recent years.

This is not only terrible for Tubs and Uncle Noel, it calls into question the judgement and credibility of a number of senior RTE people, still in their jobs despite all the "change".

A shout out to then Director of Television (now running the EBU) Noel Curran for really force-feeding that useless person on the Irish nation.

I believe he was the one who made Tubridy failure proof in RTE.

Post edited by Expunge on

Delaney was an actor in Bachelor's Walk, a presenter on few other series (think there was one about connections between events and people) and a movie. He also was a daytime TV presenter. He seems to be a hard worker and has talent. Tubridy doesn't quite have his CV and was very much an RTE lifer until he was dumped by RTE. Unlike Tubridy, Delaney seems to have a much more varied CV.

Regards…jmcc

Oh, yes. Also to say that 134,000 is a WEEKLY listenership figure. Not daily.

Yes, it's even worse than it looks.

Over to you, Bobson. In yer own time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭yagan

The thing Marty actually loves music, does the annual opera tour to Verona every year, and regardless of what you think of Delaney at least he has a background in performance.

Tubs believes in nothing but himself. He is rte's self importance personified.

Marty Whelan knows about that after the spite towards him when he left rte for another station.

Besides a lot of lyric shows are self produced by the presenters which would be too much for tubs.

Bobson is in the middle of an emergency Zoom call, trying to work out how to spin this catastrophe. Well done to Eugene Masterson for unearthing the figures they were trying to bury.

RTE management would have to be out of their minds to take Tubridy back. Even though they seem to be acting as if they're out of the woods now, they're far from it. The TV licence problem is far from solved, and taking Tubridy back would be like adding petrol to the flames. No matter what spin anybody tries to put on things, Tubridy is the public face of the financial shenanigans at RTE. He will be forever associated with barter accounts and financial overpayments and an agent who was allowed to become all too powerful at the station. We now know that he's not anywhere nearly as popular or as good as the people who hyped him claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Living in London on a fraction of what he was paid at RTE he must be burning through his savings

The reported £50k a year he is on at Virgin would work out after tax with him coming out with about £750 a week.

It might not financially viable to stay in London on just his Virgin salary soon, his rent alone must be taking up a huge chunk of that salary if not all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nonetheless

There was a staff meeting early last Wednesday evening in which News UK presented slides individually illustrating performances across all of their radio services. It was interesting to see the listing of performances of each presenter. Ryan Tubridy was still partnered with Eddie Temple Morris even though he had vacated the 10am to 1pm slot last January. All of Virgin Radio UK presenters were in the green QonQ and YonY bar Tubridy's, with the slot showing negative and in the red.

Though I think that Marty Whelan's show is out of place on Lyric FM, the guy is a very professional presenter and really good at the kind of banter that hooks listeners. RTE should have given him the 09:00 slot on RTE1 but his audience has aged along with him. RTE never seems to have had proper targeting for age demographics like the BBC.

When 2FM started, it was intended to take back the advertising that RTE had lost to the Pirate stations (they were much better at serving their markets and had no licence fee to bail them out if they failed) and was aimed at younger audiences. The Pirate stations had local coverage and connections where RTE had none.

After Fianna Fail nearly destroyed the Irish local radio industry with the radio licencing, much of the competition for 2FM, and RTE, disappeared or was coagulated into a few local radio stations and some attempts at national stations. With the competition out of the way, RTE, and 2FM, reverted to being RTE. Tubridy was a product of that closed market. The difference between the talent of RTE ex-pirate presenters and Tubridy is stark.

When Tubridy was put into a market with real competition, he couldn't compete at the Senior Hurling level. The latest RAJARs have confirmed that. However, most RTE and Irish presenters would find it difficult to break into the UK/London radio business and they tend to attempt it in their 20s and 30s. For Tubridy, Virgin Radio is turing into his Radio Norwich.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

In Bobsons absence let me step in an obviously paid NK shill and say that the Sunday World are being disingenuous by posting these numbers. Tubs counts for three months of them. It’s a great headline but that’s all it is.

btw I think the show is a mess and won’t be surprised if it fails.

As I have said we really won't know anything until the next set of figures and perhaps even the years ones.

______

Yesterday

Even so, will the figures really be that much better? I haven't listened to his show in a long time but if this thread is anything to go by, he is still making no effort to connect with UK audiences. Why would any British person tune into a radio show where the presenter is rabbiting on at speed about Irish things they know nothing about? If somebody British did the same thing on an Irish radio station, the hate-posting on boards would be off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Absolutely stunning day outside, and there’s the usuals fantasising about Tubs salary, audience figures and living arrangements. Living rent free in the head of some folks.

Rajar is a 3 month book. It’s not the same as the jnlr methodology which is a 12 month rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

it’s 100% on Tubridy. He started January 2nd. I’d say a lot of ETM’s listeners were people who left the radio on after Chris Evans but Tubridy isn’t managing to keep them through the 10am handover

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Tubsidy might go down well here in Scotland. The Outer Hebridean islands love things Irish and really enjoy relating to other Gaelic cultures, though on some of the islands it’s commonplace to have to double-job to earn a crust, eg do your stint at the local filling station or ferry port or drive the post office van, then do a turn hosting local radio.

Kudos to the Sunday World for highlighting figures relating to the performance of The Ryan Tubridy Show on Virgin Radio UK.

Virgin/Q102 were very happy to spin these figures to hide the apparent disappointment of their latest signing.

• Advertisement

Virgin Radio changed musical policy to suit the Q102 middle of road audience. This change began gradually last year and many left for Radio X for this reason. Tubridy is essentially an inane chatter slot replacing a horizontal music format show which was no different percentage of talk vs music to any of the other day strip shows. The music listeners have left, the Eddie Temple Morris followers have left (for Anthems and Radio X / 6 music) and many Brits have left. There are those who simply cannot stand listening to Ryan Tubridy and the losses are damning. Over 300,000 people is not to be sniffed at - it's actually Nova's Dublin audience in size. Now its ridiculous of The BMG and Bobson to criticise us for highlighting this mammoth loss 😝 and for News UK and Virgin Radio who are on rough waters with the SUPERFAIL of Talk TV, the loss of Graham Norton and many others including Chris Evans' newsreader (perhaps another who may of had enough of working with the whinger) 😉

Advertisement