Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Think of it another way, Virgin Radio have about 2% market share including Chris Evans who probably accounts for half of their listeners. With all of those listeners tuning out once Chris Evans goes off air, Tubridys challenge is to try and retain some of these listeners for a little while longer in the morning. Until he shows he can do that, he's got little value. He may well prove to be a roaring success in which case he'll be handsomely rewarded but this is not RTE, he won't get big bucks just cos he really really wants to, and because Chris Evans gets big bucks so he should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Of all the small-time UK stations Kelly could have pitched Tubs to, Virgin is a shrewd move. With the Virgin name and Evans and Norton on the payroll, it gives Tubs an air of playing "senior hurling" as they say. To the disinterested punter it does sound like he's hit the big time and must be on gargantuan money.

Of course the most apt analogy is that Evans and Norton are like aging world class footballers who have agreed to go to the Middle East for a king's ransom of a contract due to their name recognition alone. By contrast, Tubridy is a journeyman pro they've acquired for a meagre investment and he will do a job at rightback until something bigger and better comes along!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

Another scathing review of his new programme. It's not all his fault, for example, the volume of ads is massive and off-putting. Reminds me of the time he worked for BBC. He had nothing to offer and it's the same old shtick that he doing years later. Really shallow stuff like talking about his favourite film or book, something that he saw on his walk the previous day. He has become an absolute bore, who's afraid to say anything in case it's deemed controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I heard Tubs “introduction pitch” yest “I read the newspaper and I like books and I listen to podcasts” - Good Lord above - such bland rubbish.

He is rightfully getting criticism in the reviews. 

I got the sense listening to him “selling himself” he is hoping the like of BBC 4 pick him up, despite the fact the whole “book lover” Schtick he goes on with is a gimmick - simply PR BS Noel Kelly Media and him alighted upon to project an “intellectual” front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s plainly obvious this guy doesn’t get through anything more than a few chapters of some shıt Grisham novel when he’s on holiday. You can tell by listening to him, he rarely has any type of interesting insight, facts or opinions to offer on anything. His interviews are one dimensional and scripted and he is unable to deviate or segue into any meaningful conversation even when the interviewee tries to open up or touch on something interesting. Bottom line is, Tubridy is not particularly bright, I don’t even think he is of average intelligence. His constant bragging about how much he reads is just him feeling inadequate about how little he knows. The vast majority of people at Tubridys level get found out eventually, this is his time. He did well to get this far and it wouldn’t have happened anywhere other than Ireland due to the cabal, clique or whatever you want to call it that exists here in our pathetic national broadcaster and so many other facets of Irish life and business. I suspect it’s all downhill from here for him, doesn’t work that way in the UK. Talent, ability and hard work are what’s required, he has none of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have always thought that about him too. He isn't all that bright.

He coasted into RTE, got the biggest job on offer at a ridiculously eye-watering salary and was never suited to it in the first place. And would be there yet if greed hadn't scuppered him.

He lacks emotional intelligence or any ability to connect with people. There's no curiosity there to find out what makes people tick, which should be a pre-requisite in any job where you interview people either on radio or tv.

I usually listen to Q102, when I'm at home. It's just undemanding, background music. 'More music, less talk' is or was one of their key selling points. I turned the dial so didn't hear Tubridy. It takes a particular skill I think to appeal to both an English and an Irish audience, on radio. He just doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I am going to reply to it mainly because this is about money.

I'd be very surprised if Ryan took a pay pack of just 90k. That seems like a low offer for a national UK radio station based in London. I can see the opportunity but I don't think that makes up for moving etc etc.

I will reply to the other thread about tubs.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Virgin Radio is a minnow in the UK. Its listenership is tiny considering the population of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would still be more than someone like Ryan would have been getting here though, right?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Dee emailing him in :)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He got no offers here, no major podcast after “exstensive renovations on a state of the art studio”, remember that one? It is low, and it is low because Virgin had nothing to compete with and he is worth nothing more. It was only a very select few in RTÉ that thought he was worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’m sure Tubs is off enjoying a pint of London Pride and a good read of his latest hardback choice in some cosy pub. He mentioned before he doesn’t use a smartphone so won’t be doom scrolling the daily reviews from the online critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

With 12 times the population that isn't a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That "well placed source" is Dermot McNamara, founder of a PR firm called Candid, that doesn't seem to have much of a web presence. He's mentioned by name in the Irish Independent article. Who knows what real insight he has into Tubridy's specific deal, but he seems to be a small player himself.

His Twitter account leads onto his PR firm's account, which is currently "temporarily restricted" for unusual activity: https://twitter.com/wearecandid_uk (it seems to repost a lot of GB News stuff).

So his comments may be just self-publicity.

But the truth is that no-one moves to London at 50 years of age to lose money, especially not someone who has been earning well for years, and no doubt has some savings and investments behind them. So whatever Tubridy is getting, you can be guaranteed that it's worth his while.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭jmcc

One of the things that Pat Kenny commented on when he moved from RTE was that he had a smaller support team than he had in RTE. Good researchers are important. Not sure if Tubridy has quite the same level of support in Virgin that he had in RTE but his slot isn't Current Affairs but rather Light Entertainment.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If he speaks for 15 minutes per hour in between add breaks and music I think that’s probably as much as he does- he talks a mile a minute but half of it is commenting on WhatsApp posts, encouraging listeners to email him and what not - don’t need a researcher for that - he’s a Disc Jockey now, not a radio presenter - nothing wrong with being a DJ I might add but he’s certainly not a radio presenter doing what he’s currently doing

Must be a big change for him going from being the top RTE personality to being a zelebrity on a station were few listeners have heard of him. DJs tend to have a good knowledge of their favourite music but will Tubridy will have much input on the playlist?

Regards...jmcc

While I hate to admit it, Pat Kenny is well versed in everything largely speaking, you can tell he doesn't have as much back up, but you also can tell that he is working not to show this to his audience.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think Tubridy admitted that the playlist was merely given to him when he told Chris Evans on Tuesday morning, just before his debut show, that there was “nice music lined up” that “could have come right out of my head”.

Maybe as time goes on, he'll have more input, and clearly the U2 opener wasn't an accident (but it may have been a producer's choice, rather than his).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d say the music playlist is engineered to suit the target audience - it’s that simple- while Tubridy might have input to it, suggestions will only be accepted if they conform to the marketing brief- I’d say it’s that simple - probably all computer programmed weeks out - very little human input required except to sense check it

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Ryan Tubridy has never done highly formatted music radio up until now. These radio stations require the presenter/DJ to operate within the confinement of speed links which in some cases maybe limited to 10 seconds and consisting of only 4/5 per hour. It is very important for the presenter/DJ to optimise their presentation for the limited time allocated. From what I can make of it, Tubridy sounds like he is trying to cram too much into one link which makes him sound like he is on steroids and trying to catch breath. He needs to tone this down as I think it will annoy (if it hasn't done so already) existing Virgin Radio listeners. We must remember that Ryan Tubridy has replaced a presenter out of the blue, as Virgin Radio did very little to promote his show and so suddenly those UK listeners are being hit with someone post Christmas/New year that is very much taking the following approach: Look at me, look at me, I'm this famous person from Ireland and you have to like me because I know all of these famous people and I am such an experienced broadcaster etc

I do believe that there is collaboration from the programming folks at Virgin with respect to his 'sound' and they are probably viewing it as a work in progress. I would believe that there are meetings post the show to discuss learnings and they are probably looking for as much honest feedback from within Virgin and Q102 for which they may need to act quickly.

With presenting radio and this can be a problem for the presenter, is that first impressions can last and they may need to correct Tubridy's presenting/DJ style as soon as possible if it becomes apparent that him and his show is alienating their core listenership.

My own tuppence worth is that I will expect changes to Tubridy's presentation in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭amacca

I think I'd probably agree to an extent...even 90k seems low to be on the airwaves there..even if they have a small listenership...

But on the other hand that might be the only choice he has if he wants to keep a seat at the table...its easier to get a job when you have one and any port in a storm...at least you can spin this as something worthwhile...if he decided to go back into his shell now he might be afraid the only place he would get back in would be midlands radio 3 or the likes...

Would be very interesting to find out what the paypacket actually is

I’d imagine Tubridy spends far less time thinking about his new show and indeed himself than some of his “fan club” online.

They say the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about…

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

Thread title says more more about the poster than anything else

Who would want to post in this swamp

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheBMG

His fan club are secret Noel Kelly trollbots according to a previous poster

Fame has a shelf-life and the money that RTE sunk into making Tubridy a celebrity is a sunk cost for RTE. It does give Q102 a bit of a boost to have an ex-RTE personality on weekdays and Sundays and it is a fraction of the salary RTE paid. If Q102 etc were on the market, that would be a cheap way for the owners of Virgin and Q102 to capitalise on all that money spent making Tubridy a star. Tubridy's quarterly numbers for Q102 might be just as important, if not more so, than his numbers for Virgin. Tubridy needed to get back on Irish radio and no large broadcaster was willing to pay what RTE paid. The longer Tubridy stayed off air, the less valuable his brand became.

Regards...jmcc

Back to the grindstone today for myself, so won’t be able to listen to the show. I’m more a hard-hitting current affairs sort than a light entertainment guy anyway, but I enjoyed what I heard on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The first week in a new job can always be a bit daunting but he flew through it. Few things to be ironed out but that’s what a producer and station management are for - it’s a team effort behind the scenes.

Gets to enjoy London at the weekend now. Did he mention he might be working on a new book?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RT definitely has a smartphone - he has been maniacally posting “look at me look at me” type material to Instagram in recent days - probably at the behest of his new boss to “attract” an audience.

The “book worm” gimmick is a PR wheeze, dreamt up by NK management to give RT some sort of “intellectual” frontage.

The PR seems to be working well with you, Bobson. Keep on at it.

• Advertisement

You'd have to ask how long does a Tub's thread last on boards.ie before its closed!

I was just about to ask: Has anyone read a review of the new show from a British radio critic so far?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement