Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we lost our Patriotism?

Options
  • 10-12-2023 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Over the years I have been wondering what does it mean to be Irish. I had the privilege to travel to the US and the UK and experienced there patriotic culture.

British and American patriotism; people believing in there country, sovereignty, democracy and constitutional rights and also celebrating whether its to do with the Monarch or Independence.

But, in Ireland I don't see it, when I talk to people about patriotism/loving your country the conversation seems to nearly always go to "Barry's or Lyons", "The IRA", "GAA", "Leprechauns", "Irish are the best drinkers".

I think we have lost our way, what does it mean to be Irish?

if we celebrate our Independence is it seen as right wing extremism?

Our President; it seems like we don't know what his/her function is so what's the point. At one stage people wanted to give up our Presidency because the believed that such a role is a waste of time and money so why have a president. I've heard people say "Anyway our current President is old and he doesn't know what going on so why be involved".

Another example is that people seem to be too busy and it doesn't impact me so why would I bother.

It seems like our patriotism aligns more with the paddy-whackery then it does with characteristics of the UK and US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It seems like our patriotism aligns more with the paddy-whackery then it does with characteristics of the UK and US.

Try not to confuse patriotism with jingoism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I think the problem with your argument is that the US and the UK are both shït holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

...and the worst thing about them is their patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jimmy5694

😂 Fine, lets take North Korea they are a lot more patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

In spite of the fact that our country was colonised for a thousand years,

It was not a thousand years it was more like 800 so yes the best part of a thousand years but still not that long.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

American and British patriotism has nothing to recommend so while you may aspire to be like them, you should not be surprised to find very few will agree with you or act like you. Our approach to patriotism is very European in nature and probably why we feel so much more at home among the EU countries than the UK every did.

And as for this nonsense:

Our President; it seems like we don't know what his/her function is so what's the point. At one stage people wanted to give up our Presidency because the believed that such a role is a waste of time and money so why have a president. I've heard people say "Anyway our current President is old and he doesn't know what going on so why be involved".

That is entirely on you and your lack of knowledge on how the state is governed and the important role assigned to the President. There has never been an significant move to abolish the presidency and on top of this 73% of voters understood the significant of role the president and why it was important to have someone in that role with a bit maturity and experience of the world. If you don't understand this stuff go educate yourself.

Bottom line, educate yourself about how the country is governed and get out into the real word a bit more and of course stop hanging around the little gang or yours because the group think is of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

I think the word you are looking for here is ''Jingoism'', which is more what the US and the UK (more specifically England) has/suffers from.

It is most certainly NOT something that we here in Republic should want or need to replicate.

I'll happily stick with our paddy-whackery patriotism, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Patriotism is overrated. We are all simple humans surviving on a small planet in a vast universe. And we are doing our best to destroy our living space.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Very true, it’s been lost in the last number of years, largely because we don’t actually make our own decision.

This is a new Ireland, we don’t have much say in topics such as immigration, we can protest that the streets are not safe and maybe blame the government and change the government, but the next government will have their hands tied too, policies will still be enforced on us as part of the eu.

We can contribute toward climate change and say that we are playing our part, but again we have no choice. Whether these are moral policies which should be enforced is neither here nor there, but in the context of having patriotism it’s difficult when being Irish is now lost in being European.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jimmy5694

Seems like a true patriot 👍.

First off I don’t aspire that our patriotism should align I’m simply comparing.

Secondly And as for this nonsense:

is not my belief, im relaying what a lot of people have stated to me in various discussions - I do apologise if I hadn’t made that clear enough.

For your information I’m very much in the real world.

Thanks for your comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

All the people shouting patriotism these days are neerdowells

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You just said “I don’t see it”, can you define what “it” is, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

To be moderately proud, verging on self respect is now considered a mortal sin by our new priest like activist class.

It's a very bizarre situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I see patriotism as wanting to help your people.

Nearly all those talking about solidarity and working class politics today are bored rich kids.

Politics has become detached from a lot of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Not "all" people though?

Just "your" people?

I think we know how this plays out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Most people will sidle up to whoever pays the bills and who they can defer to and blame when the **** hits the fan. Anybody who has a different opinion is shot down.

The never ending war in Ukraine and the slaughter of children in Palestine, which we financially, by proxy, and indifference, support, is an example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Exactly. It's literally Hitler to love your nation and your people, and to defend their existence. Anything but unwavering support for the new order, is nothing short of Nazism. So get inline Paddy, and embrace your demise.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

your community. Your people are the people around you. If you try helping people too far off .. you often end up doing more harm. All the people in my community are my people regardless of colour /religion. The people of Dublin no matter where they come from are my people. The people of Ireland no matter what their origin. I dont put them above others. I see securing our rights as securing human rights for all.

Is that not patriotism?

And yes I believe in a united Ireland. I see partition as an injustice that needs to be corrected with respect for unionist rights. I believe it should be done democratically. 80% of deprived areas in the north are irish. Still. I dont believe the british want to change that. I think they need to keep it that way.

I believe in a border poll but i dont hold with this we need a supermajority that just says that one protestant vote is worth 2 catholic ones all over again.

And regardless of the polls outcome the Irish nation has a right to be united and to be able to look out for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

I wouldn't mind patriotism as long as it was just a bit of craic like "Wahey look at these cool things we do and people we have! Aren't we great?"... but a lot of people in this thread seem to think that patriotism is 'suppressed' because "muh immigrants" or whatever. I've got plenty of migrant friends who love living in Ireland and defend it when people say badmouth Ireland.

• Advertisement

Badmouthing is fine. Accepting abuse or anti Irishness it shouldnt be. Like we can take a joke. But a joke is a joke and there is a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm a time traveller from the future.

I feel a strong attachment to Airstrip Zone Seven of the United European Imperium. We no longer recognise race or nationality.

Besides, how would having a 'nationality' affect your ration allotment? You're not going to get an extra portion of frieze-dried ammonia packets by invoking archaic designations like 'Irish'.

It leads to trade unions, that is what it leads to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Walking around beating your chest and exaggerating your loyalty and passion does not really make one patriotic. Unfortunately it can only be proven in a test. Anyway we have plenty of peaceful patriotism, in general the majority of Irish people welcome and are supportive of Irish culture, music, language and sports. I can only speak for myself but I am proud of my ancestors for all they strived for , in extremely dire circumstances. Also I think we have a great balance of temperament, we never let really lose the run of ourselves. We could do without the tendency to be a little corrupt institutionally but sure we all have work ons.

I feel Irish in my soul.

I know that this is real sean nos and some some american young one warbling. Cuz I am Irish.

Shane Mc Gowans funeral was the first Irish funeral many had seen abroad ... its part of me

Its fluid ... It can be denise Chaila .. it can be phil lynott. It can be All that Ireland can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭sameoldname

The problem I have with nearly every self-declared "Patriot" I've ever met is that when you get down to it, they actually hate just about everything to do with modern Ireland. They actually pine for some version of Ireland in the past that more than likely never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I think we have lost a sense of patriotism to some extent. There was a time when people made do with less in our country, were happy to work to leave it a better place than when they grew up. Now people seem to be more mé féin, what's in it for me etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The tactic of conflating patriotism with racism used to wash a few years back, but not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, celebrating Irish culture is perfectly fine. If anything, I'd say the people who get perpetually offended when Irish cultural events celebrates how Irish culture has changed.

Advertisement