Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Elin⚠️ Saturday 9th Dec 2023 ( also Storm Fergus Sun 10th )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Latest from Icon, must be close to Red in around Galway tomorrow

Certainly high end orange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No it's open not as bad as I thought it would be might be different tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Winds in Galway City arent predicted to be super strong tomorrow. At least according to the Met Office. Similar today with up to 80kph gusts at max in late pm.

Less that 50kph gusts through the whole morning/lunchtime. So markets should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very strong here in carrick, unrelated but our power went twice yesterday including 6am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I think they’re on today. They’re actually been open in worse weather than today and are probably built to withstand the wind with their location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has actually been a brighter than normal day here, really bright sunshine despite the wind. Thankfully back home after a frustrating day of trying to stop things blowing around the place due to not being set up properly for the wind due to late notice. There have been some incredible gusts here the past half hour or so. Every time I think it might have calmed down something gets knocked over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

power just back here in Dunshaughlin. A tree has also fallen in my back garden onto a shed. This storm is certainly more severe than the red warning storm we had about a month ago.

Current wind gusts , there where higher wind speeds here in carrick on shannon around 1pm through to 4pm just blustery now plenty of power cuts across the west

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Market in St Anne's wasn't on today and has been cancelled in Dublin Castle too. I went for a jog and got a great time as the last couple of KMs had the wind on my back, crazy windy in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very windy but a red sky after sunset in Dublin this evening. From Sutton Strand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

W o W @sryanbruen nothing so bright and pretty in Meath before dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 David1

Yes, great picture sryanbruen. Whats your thoughts on storm Fergus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely evening in Cork, not a bad winters day at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Miserable night out there now, still wet (like it's been all day), but now the wind has arrived as well.

Kerry now added into the yellow warning ⚠️ tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lit the log burner, going nowhere, was in town all afternoon very wet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Still very strong winds in Greystones. Thought this was supposed to have died down by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Fergus does not look as strong as Debi for Galway, would expect peak gusts near 110 km/hr around 4 to 7 pm. Squally showers could create localized wind damage but overall impact seems likely to be moderate as in lower end orange alert potential.

Max wind gusts and sustained winds for Elin at Irish synoptic stations.

Thanks syran I always look forward to your stats 😊 be interesting to compare them to Fergus tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Small tight system just beginning to fill on it's arrival to the coast tomorrow afternoon. ARPEGE below about mid strength of what is being shown by the models. ICON stronger as is the UKMO, American less strong, ECM similar to ARPEGE, French models have fairly strong wind continuing across the country below the core crossing the East coast late Sun/ early Mon. Could be convection with this giving some heavy showers with hail possible and some thunderstorms moving on to Western coasts is possible, could be some big squally showers behind the occluded front under the cold upper pool transiting Ireland.

Rainfall not a huge issue with this one although could be heavy under a squally shower.

I think MT is right, should see top gusts around 110km/h or so, more so Clare, N Kerry ,W and S Galway coastal areas. Limerick could see some strong winds also, may need to be considered for a yellow warning.

Winds arriving onto western coasts around the time of High tide.

Galway Tides Sun 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Did this ever happened before? Two named storms in two days. We have only started naming storms since 2015. If we were naming storms could it happen that we would have two or more storm depressions in as many days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Two windy days in a row,been known happen for sure......

Syran is the man to ask, i know we've had 2 storms in a week but think that was a Tuesday and another on the Friday for example 2020 if I'm not mistaken could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

It's the tides that are the bigger worry for Galway coastal towns now. When these systems coincide with high tide it poses a big risk. Clarinbridge, Kinvara and Oranmore on high alert tomorrow afternoon

The closest is February 2022 when we got Dudley on the 16th, Eunice on the 18th and Franklin on the 20th.

Highly likely that we would have had named storms over 2 consecutive days or more if we were naming years ago if we're naming systems like this that wouldn't even bat an eyelid in winters like 1983-84 and 1989-90.

Thanks for the info 😀 a legend as always 💯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I don't think the winds will be too bad today but we could get some lively convection this afternoon with some localised severe gusts in the west associated with these heavy showers

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Most of the models have it dropping a bit further south with the centre of the low on the Mayo/Galway border, Kerry looks more orange than Mayo going by most of the high res models.

Also for my location in West Mayo, Met.ie is showing max average wind speeds of 30km and no gusts. Seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some TS activity a while ago off the clare coast, great timing to have a radar issue, again.

Advertisement