Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Elin⚠️ Saturday 9th Dec 2023 ( also Storm Fergus Sun 10th )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Archeron

Christmas market in botanic gardens cancelled. Very gusty in Glasnevin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some heavy showers just off the SW coast with lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hontou

Very windy in South Longford between 10am and 11am. Some tree branches down in the garden and the top of my metal chimney has blown off. Seemed to be about 20 minutes of very strong gusts around 10:30am. Calmer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭squarecircles

STORM FERGUS NAMED FOR TOMORROW

Status Orange - Wind warning for Clare, Galway, Mayo

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very strong onshore winds due to Storm Fergus, coupled with high waves and high tides.

• Potential impacts:
    • Localised coastal flooding and wave overtopping
    • Valid: 15:00 Sunday 10/12/2023 to 20:00 Sunday 10/12/2023
    • Issued: 11:44 Saturday 09/12/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Is the storm for Sunday afternoon evening ? That looks much nastier. Except it's missing the NW at the moment 😀

Oops just read the post above !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Ah jaysus. Hopefully Fergus is the last of the storms for this winter 👎

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Gusting over 80 kmh in Arklow Currently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday:

Casement gusting 51 knots(94km/h)

Mace head 49 knots

Dunsany 46 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah didnt get the initiall wind speeds that AROME was showing for the West, will see what Dublin/ Wicklow gets in the next hour or two.

UKMO might be a fair representation of the winds so far and maybe topping 90 -100 km/h around the East in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

West gone orange now for tomorrow with a new storm Fergus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

That's for tomorrow, Storm Fergus.

Edit: Never mind, you caught it before my reply 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Horrible day of wind and rain Meath. Just the excuse to do nothing 😲

Yeah I had changed it as you posted but when I looked at ME they had it orange for today as well back to normal now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A section of the models for tomorrows named storm. ICON I must say has been showing some constraint recently, cant say it overdone the wind speeds for today ( it is showing he strongest streak of wind gusts running along the border counties for today).

I suppose we are going to have to see these charts as the absolute Max in most cases and be prepared for the possibility of actual wind speeds 5,10 or 15 km/h below what is being shown on the predictions as is often the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I wouldn't give that bet to Paddypower, it's only the 9th day of winter!

OT, I noticed there was a brief TAF for Dublin Airport last night with a 30% probability for 58kt gusts between 1200-1600 today. That was downgraded this morning to 45kts, and there has already been a gust of 46kts at 1230. Speaks to the unpredictability of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's fairly breezy here, but certainly not stormy. It looks, at least for my area, that the arome model, which is usually fairly reliable, got this one wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gust of 51 knots at Dublin Airport in last minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10 David1

Fergus seems to be heading south on most models.

• Advertisement

The center of the system just off the North coast at present.

Casement

Picked up in Galway now gusting over 45 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin Airport 29 (54) gust 53 (98)

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Gust of 84kmh last 10 mins here in Arklow or about 45knots

That's 2km's inland of the sea

ECM showing a stripe of strong winds running in aline from Sligo to Dundalk during the afternoon, ICON showing similar. Will see if we get reports re same. Getting windier in the NW and N through the afternoon into the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the furthest in we've ever got to in the naming system? J?L? Could have been more if some of the storms weren't already named in other territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I hear there are Christmas Markets in Eyre square today in central Galway City? These are being cancelled in Dublin, same in Galway I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some landings at dublin airport. last one truck ruined which was a good wobble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hangar18_

Strong gusts and rain here now in knock

Advertisement