Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Elin⚠️ Saturday 9th Dec 2023 ( also Storm Fergus Sun 10th )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A very unusual situation if those models are correct with the last minute upgrades- if they are it's a worrying situation as many people will likely be caught unaware as they go out and about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock Airport TAF showing possible gusts up to 55 knots between 11am-4pm

And for those in Dublin and the east Dublin Airport TAF shows a chance of gusts up to 58 knots (over 100 km/h) between midday and 3pm.

Either way a stormy day for many in the "top half" of the country.

a credit to Meteorite for flagging this one

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

They have left it very late with warnings and if the system was to be named should of been done this evening. That AROME model above is for later tomorrow morning and unfortunately anyone who has made plans at this stage could get caught out badly

A Marine Orange warning issued

Status Orange - Storm warning from Belfast Lough to Strangford Lough to Howth Head, from Erris Head to Rossan Point to Malin Head and on the Irish Sea North of Anglesey

West to northwest winds reaching storm force 10 for a time.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 09/12/2023 to 18:00 Saturday 09/12/2023

Issued: 23:48 Friday 08/12/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann not going for the overland winds being shown on the models so. Be interesting to see how it develops if they keep it at yellow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 18Z a bit lower than the French models but still gusting 90 to 100km/h overland, the Swiss Nowcast possibly a fair idea of the ECM.

Showing it about the same for Sunday, gusting up to 110 km/h on Western coasts, 80 to 90km/h overland but will need to see tomorrows runs to be sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann starting to add the orange county warnings now, Dublin, Wicklow........

I presume the west, northwest and north will follow. Wonder will they name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Only found this now ,Dublin and wicklow now in an orange warning tomorrow, storm naming criteria

Only issued in the last few minutes. Very strange them other counties haven't been added yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can see ,Donegal ,Mayo , Sligo, Leitrim and possibly roscommon and louth being added into orange warnings ⚠️ better late than never to add counties into the orange warnings but to me thats storm Elin

Storm has just been named

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I presume they work through the counties progressively.

Very late this time though, but the problem is clear for all to see, the second a storm is named the media hype it up even if it's days away, then if it's downgraded the public are like "what the fcuk, there wasn't a puff in east Galway but all the schools were closed"

Very windy or stormy on Saturday as Storm Elin feeds in sustained high winds throughout the day - some severe or damaging gusts are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Well done Meteorite yet again for sticking with it. I thought myself that these little systems had peaked in the Atlantic and would unravel quickly before reaching us. Nasty travel conditions on a busy weekend at Current guidance. Interesting to see what unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

The one earlier in the week died a death but several channels sourced the stronger jet this weekend. Only saving grace "maybe" is winds of 140kph May be kept out to sea off Achill before "weaker" winds of 110 to 120kph on land.

These winds probably peak around 11 to 1 in the West tomorrow morning and 2 to 5 in the East. All the while winds gusting near 100kph in the NW most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

No huge change in the Dublin airport TAF overnight.

Strongest winds between 1100-1600 mean speeds 30kts gusting to 52kts with a chance of gusting to 58kts between 1200-1400.

TAF EIDW 090500Z 0906/1006 14012KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030 PROB40 TEMPO 0906/0909 3000 -RADZ BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 0906/0907 14015G25KT RA BKN004 BECMG 0907/0909 27018G34KT TEMPO 0908/0912 26025G40KT BECMG 0911/0913 26025G45KT TEMPO 0911/0916 27030G52KT PROB30 TEMPO 0912/0914 28034G58KT RA BECMG 0920/0922 26018G30KT BECMG 1000/1002 23010KT BECMG 1002/1004 15007KT=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Donegal since added to orange warning alongside Wicklow and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

09 December 2023 06:23

Today

Very windy or stormy on Saturday as Storm Elin feeds in sustained high winds throughout the day - severe or damaging gusts are expected. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

I feel this this will catch many people by surprise. Right in the middle of festive weekends, keeping an eye on the news and weather will be furtherest thing from their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Why isn’t Mayo in an orange warning? West Galway also?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TracyMartell

Any chance of a red in Dublin? I’d love to leave work

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Mace Head 74, gusting 102 at 7am, Belmullet calm, maybe that strong core of winds that Arome and Arpege showed hitting West Mayo has dropped a bit further south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the media much yet. People will have plans for the day and everybody has dialled out of the weather.

Too much crying wolf with naming these storms anyway.

This could indeed be the one to catch a lot of people.

Mace Head gusting 98 and Athenry gusting 74 which is fairly breezy for that area, starting to get fairly wild in West Mayo now, I've no instruments but feels like it's gusting 90+ or so

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was over in Knock earlier, its not too bad there yet. I think the worst of winds are starting from now on. I have a feeling the winds won't be as strong as arome suggested for most areas, if they were more regions would be included in the Met Eireann orange warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Here in south Galway this has almost been as windy as the over-hyped storm of a few weeks ago, you expect orange warnings should have been issued country-wide and a lot earlier

Do Met Eireann have access to more accurate models than Arome? I thought it was as good as it gets, GFS and WRF going for much lower windspeeds, GFS hasn't been great of late but WRF is often on the money. That purple patch on Arome aiming for West Mayo freaked me out last night, I don't think we've had mean winds over 80km for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Peak gust so far is 55 knots at Mace Head

• Advertisement

9am

Mace Head gusting 55 knots (102 Km/h). Belmullet almost calm at 7 knots.

Advertisement