Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Elin⚠️ Saturday 9th Dec 2023 ( also Storm Fergus Sun 10th )

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Won't let me click the link unfortunately but wasn't the night of the Big wind (equalled to a category 3 hurricane)some 15 years before that and then we had the famine 1800s where pretty extreme when ya think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Big Wind wasn't a tornado though, it was a very severe Atlantic storm, more similar to a hurricane.

How is it inaccurate? We knew about Fergus since Thursday so unless you have been in a coma or something we all knew ,the tornado on the other hand we didn't really know was gonna happen but looking back at it there was enough rotation in the atmosphere for it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

I witnessed the St Patricks Day event in South Meath in 1995 first hand. It was absolutely terrifying. Not unlike todays events in Leitrim Village. When Mother Nature decides to throw a hissy fit, there’s little enough any of us mere mortals can do about it, other than hunker dowm & say our prayers. I’m really thankful that nobody got seriously hurt in Leitrim Village today. The potential for major loss of life was significant. The Powers That Be (or whoever) were smilng on that community this afternoon. Buicheas le Dia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Max gusts and sustained winds for Fergus compared with Elin from yesterday at Irish synoptic stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Apologies.... I thought you were comparing The Big Wind with the Limerick tornado.

"

Won't let me click the link unfortunately"

I've attached the .pdf here. Hopefully you can access it

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

The orange for Mayo was very strange, every model on Saturday night was showing < yellow conditions for Mayo and again this morning, the 6z ecm had dead calm conditions for Mayo. The wind and gust values on the met.ie website for my location were the same this afternoon at 3pm as they were yesterday at 3pm. They were still calling for 70 -100kph when it was 30kph. Contrast that to the windguru site which updated its values 4 times in the same period and every one of its models, including Arome, UKV, GFS, Icon, Wrf, kept showing way lower and lower values for the same location.

It might not seem important but when that info is readily available to a Czech windsurfing site which manages more frequent updates, the national Met service should have something as good. It doesn't build confidence because you have to keep double checking the values they're showing.

Anyway I heard from a friend that an outdoor event in Southwest Mayo went ahead this evening in dead calm perfect conditions at 6pm, despite several calls to call it off as we were in the middle of an orange warning at that time! The organisers obviously didn't trust Met Eireann and got more accurate info elsewhere and that's really not a good thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calmed down now in Greystones. Peak gust of 57 knots around 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Meant to post this yesterday.

North Leitrim.

Just seen the tornado 🌪 on itv its weird seeing Leitrim on the news especially interviewing someone you know

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Is it just my imagination or has the North West gotten off very lightly this year with storms? Donegal usually gets battered but this year everything seems to have shifted south, over central and southern coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Re 1995 Tornado. Was in Rathmolyon that day about 3 miles from Summerhill. Hail crashed through the window of my then GFs house and sky was literally green when we stepped out to look. Never saw anything remotely like it in Ireland since. We could see the rotation in the air and were probably about a mile from the actual tornado.

Oh right my bad sorry I didn't word it properly and ah thanks ill try get onto it now 😊

Just out of curiosity what size roughly was it ? Like a skinny one or a little heavier one ,I've read about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

I'd take another spin on that and if you think that, maybe the snow and cold weather they normally have also will shift south and we get the colder weather although they may go even colder then 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

That was a little too close for comfort. We live about 15km from Leitrim Village. There was thunder around the time but we had no idea of the damage happening nearby.

The power of nature is really terrifying. You are at its complete mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think Elin was stronger in Sligo. Got near 100kph in that. Still no traditional storms. Ya know the deep ones we got in the 90s. These ones seem to lose their breath in the ocean. Though Leitrim will disagree. I'd say therel be a few more before Winter is done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just for future reference the tornado in Leitrim appeared to be associated with occlusion ahead of core of low (Fergus) and took place around 13z ... radar loop showed rapid development around 12z to 13z, moving from SW to NE. These events are difficult to predict, you could always include a chance of them in frontal passage situations but having one hit a populated area is perhaps what is more unusual, it's quite possible such things come and go without being noticed out in the open countryside on other occasions. Video shows it to be around a strong F1 or weak F2, I would say. Peak wind gusts 80 to 100 knots in those.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Advertisement